Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> Who's Who

Answering Qs

Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
imonica

Answering Qs  Reply with quote  

I thought I should move my replies to the proper place, being the newbie and all. We'll see if I remember all the questions and comments.

Ok, I'm originally from Missouri. Southern MO first, famous for Branson, the 2nd country music capitol of the world...right. Went up north to The City when I was old enough, and stayed there until I moved here.

We live here, because I wanted to live here...at least for a while. Now we have to stay, because my hubby was diagnosed with poly-cystic kidneys, meaning dialysis and future transplant. (Be a donor damn it! Save a life.) Hubby would not be allowed to live in the US at this point, and even if he could, the medical bills would be too much. Free health care here, ya know. It's a good thing I love Scotland. It really is the most beautiful place I've ever seen. Not that there aren't things I miss about living in the US, because it can still be hard for me, even after being here for over two years.

We live in the lowlands, which is only half as high as the Highlands. The hills (A lot of people from elsewhere would call them mountains), however, are still high enough to create their own weather. That means it can be cold as winter, even in the middle of June, and the snow can last well into May. Brrrrrrrr.

We do not live in a castle. Only very rich people can afford the maintenance on a castle. I did work for a company owned by a Duke for a while. That's about as close as I'll ever get. No, we live somewhere a lot more interesting: A Mental Hospital. Well, it used to be a mental hospital, of the large Victorian type. (Always knew I would end up in the looney bin!) They converted it to apartments and decided to charge far too much for them. We are only here until our new house is done. Well, the house itself IS done, but the road leading to the house is not.

At our new house...Deb, you'll like this...we will have a lovely big patio. YES! I'm gonna purchase a pressure washer to keep my new patio clean. Then I'm gonna BBQ out on my new patio. These people don't know BBQ. They think they do, but (rude noise) puhleeeeeze! We will also have a river and a forest just down the road. I have to share them with other people, but that's ok, there's loads of room. I'll tell you more about the house later on.

Stereotypes. The men here only wear kilts at formal events and during parades. They do not dance around in the heather waving big swords. My hubby does not and will not wear a kilt. Although I do like to imagine it and laugh, and laugh... Only a small percentage of the folks here speak Gaelic, but there are Gaelic channels on tv. My daughter watches cartoons in Gaelic. Weird!

Errr...what were the rest of them? I'll have to get back to you. Need to get my kid into the bath.

imonica

Post Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:57 am   View user's profile Send private message
Keyser Soze

Hey there, imonica!

Post Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:01 am   View user's profile Send private message
Vixen Jules

Hey you.

Post Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:07 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
18Rabbit

Have you been inside the restroom of the Shoji Tabuchi theater?

How old is your little one?

Post Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:20 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
imonica

Theater? I would love to see a theater! Any theater! No theaters around these parts, just town halls and such.

My daughter is six. Still young enough to be adorable, but old enough to be quite the butthead when she feels like it, bless her. Wink

imonica

Post Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:52 am   View user's profile Send private message
mllefifi

What's Gaelic for "butthead"?

Post Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:53 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
Jo

Location: Near here, on Tuesdays, but just on the days that end with nth. Like 3nth.

Welcome again, imonica!

I bet this place could produce a kidney pie for your hubby. It's that great ya know. Or at least a kidney shaped pie.

Seriously, best wished to you and your husband concerning his health. I'll think happy thoughts for you both for sure.

Now teach those Scots to BBQ! Laughing

Post Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:16 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Wingnut

mllefifi wrote:
What's Gaelic for "butthead"?

Baicthaeadh, or something similar, probably...hehehe... I worked with a girl named Caomhe. Take a guess how that's pronounced. Go ahead. I'll wait. Would you believe "Keeva"?

Anyhooo, welcome!

"Life's too short to get wrapped around the axle about the little things." - SK

-The First Law of Geography: Everything is Connected to Everything Else.

Post Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:56 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
fortune cookie

Well, since you've posted in the "proper" place. Rolling Eyes Laughing
Welcome!
Scotland? Well good for you.
Somebody's gotta live there. Very Happy
Smart, the not wearing kilts, specially with all the cold.
Have fun! I'll be seeing you around.

Post Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:04 pm   View user's profile Send private message
Sephonae

Welcome again imonica! Best wishes for your hubby's health.

I'm suddenly hit by memories of the Mike Myers "All Things Scottish" skits on SNL...

"If it's not Scottish, it's CRAP!"

"THERE'S Scotland, THERE'S Ireland, THERE'S the bloody sea. They're DIFFERENT! Now get OOT!"

"All things Scottish...and pizza." (When Kyle MacLachlan hosted and played Myers' son in the skit.)

Post Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:00 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
imonica

Hubby and I would love a kidney pie! Add some steak and a bit of wine to it...deeeeeelicious!

I always love the Scottish characters Mike Myers does. Don't know what the Scots think about it, though. They think Canadians are dorky, which is funny considering so many Canadians are descended from Scots.

imonica

Post Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:59 am   View user's profile Send private message
girlEgirl

welcome! again.

Post Sat May 02, 2009 11:31 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Katy O

Hiya! I tend to stick to News & Noise because I'm what's termed "fluffy" as a Boardellian. I'm not here to talk about politics. Mostly I'm here while I'm screwing off at work and I get enough stress there to last me through the day. Did I mention I work with my husband?

Anyway, welcome to the Board!

Post Wed May 13, 2009 1:52 pm   View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: