Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> A Dirty Job

I have a dilemma on my hands...

Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Rt1Rebel

I have a dilemma on my hands...  Reply with quote  

My 12 year old daughter is an avid reader, she's finished the Twilight series etc. She was complaining to me about an hour ago that she had nothing to read, so I handed her A Dirty Job, I'm not sure why. I think I wanted to challenge her a bit, and find out for myself if what she's been reading is challenging enough that she could even get through a couple pages of ADJ.

Well, she's been reading for an hour, and she is not complaining that it's boring, or that she doesnt understand. So I'm proud. I think.

But is she old enough to really be reading this? The only embarrassing segment I can think of is the Lily/Ray thing, and of course the end, but I'm sure she's heard worse at school at this age, right?

Post Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:56 pm   View user's profile Send private message
chris
Site Admin

Hmmm. Let me say, hmmmm. There is some mighty grown up stuff when Charlie goes to the massage parlor and ends up in the alley with one of the Morrigan, but it appears you've let the horse out of the barn now. If she's been reading for an hour, she's doubtless past the part about blowing a Teletubbie.

Man am I glad I don't have kids.

Post Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:32 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
JustAGirl

Yeah, the 'blowing the Teletubbie' line was pretty much when I became a fan, since ADJ was my first.

Post Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:14 am   View user's profile Send private message
vampirelover

ADJ is what got me hooked too... though it was accidental, it was the only AG book I'd ever heard of at that point and the book blurb or whatever in the sleeve caught my attention...

Persoanlly I would say you should be older than 12 to read Twilight series never mind ADJ but I grew up in a very sheltered, repressed kind of house hold and maybe it still affects me too much. Idk. It depends on someone's maturity level too sometimes.

I'm sure you'll be doing some of this Embarassed while she's reading it. Laughing

"I love you, even more than pie" -FOOL

Post Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:06 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Heather Chandler

I think it depends on how sheltered she is. I let my cousin read The Stupidest Angel when he was around the same age. He didn't get through the whole thing, mostly because he's not really into reading, but he's been exposed to subject matter much worse in movies.

I let him read one of my other books for an oral book report called Shattering Glass not too long before and when he was informing his class what the novel was about, his teacher told him he should stop reading such inappropriate books.

Guess I wouldn't make a really good parent, haha.

Post Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:41 am   View user's profile Send private message
Rt1Rebel

Update:

My daughter read ADJ for about an hour and a half, went to bed, and never went back to it, so it was enough to capture her mind for the moment, but not enough to keep her interested. I chalk it up to tween attention span. As far as the teletubbie reference, I had forgotten about that, but I don't really have a problem with stuff like that in dialogue, I'm sure that she's heard worse in school, music, on TV, and in movies. I worry more about the stuff that is actually happening within the story.

I showed her my post just now, and Chris's post. She really got a kick out of that.

Chris, when you have kids, it's gonna blow your mind. Wink

Post Fri May 22, 2009 8:31 pm   View user's profile Send private message
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: