Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> So You Wanna Be a Writer?

Anyone here ever finish a novel?

Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
funbagz

Anyone here ever finish a novel?  Reply with quote  

I am wondering how people that have finished their novels, what did you do to make sure it was good enough to send to a publisher. Like who did you show it to before you gave it to a publisher or how you decided it wasn't good enough to be published.

Post Thu Mar 31, 2005 4:21 pm   View user's profile Send private message
Regina

Find a critique group. They rock. I don't mean something online, look for writers groups in your community. The feedback from a group of people who are interested in craft and have no interest in telling white lies in order to maintain a friendship is absolutely invaluable.

Post Thu Mar 31, 2005 5:05 pm   View user's profile Send private message
Boota

I had four different people read my book before I sent it out. My mom read it because she could nail any grammar problems I might have had. (She hated the bad language, but gave me her blessing anyway.) My friend, Michael, read it just to make sure it was funny and to help make sure I was keeping it consistent. His wife, Melody, read it just because it was lying around their house and she picked it up and got hooked on it. I had my drummer, Tom, read it because he is overly critical everything, especially things I do, and I figured if I got his approval I was golden. I'm letting the same people read my new novel for the same reasons.

I let a few other people read it before it came out, but it was too late for their input to make a difference at that point.

Post Fri Apr 01, 2005 8:43 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
chris
Site Admin

Duh. I finished a novel this morning and I'm starting another one tonight. The last one was by Graham Joyce and I liked it a lot. The next one is by James Lee Burke -- I got it at a bargain books site. Really, if you're having trouble finishing, try skipping the slow parts and anything in italics. Odds are, if it's in italics it's bullshit and you don't need to know it anyway.

I am having a hard time getting through 100 Years of Solitude. I don't know, dude, it's just so long, and lonely... really.

Post Sat Apr 02, 2005 5:13 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Regina

lol nice one.

I had the same problem getting through 100 Years of Solitude - altho by the end it felt like a really rewarding read.

Post Sat Apr 02, 2005 12:01 pm   View user's profile Send private message
Taco Bob

never can have too many sharks  Reply with quote  

funbagz wrote:
I am wondering how people that have finished their novels, what did you do to make sure it was good enough to send to a publisher. Like who did you show it to before you gave it to a publisher or how you decided it wasn't good enough to be published.

Def go with Regina on the workshop idea. Chris has said the same thing, and I'm glad I listened. Learned a lot so far from the internet group I joined, just need to put it into practice. Razz

IMO, having some people that know what they're talking about read through the whole mss is really important. Finding the right people takes some doing, though. Someone that can tell you something sucks is good, someone that can also suggest a way to fix the problem is even better.

Not everyone is right all the time, tho. Best to have several people reading. If someone says a shark eating an entire boatload of fishermen is a bit much, you need to give it a look. If more than one say the same thing, it might be time for a bigger shark, or a smaller boat. Wink

Post Sun Apr 03, 2005 8:47 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: