Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> Politics

Megrahi

Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
imonica

Megrahi  Reply with quote  

It's all over the news that the man has been released, and how upset everyone is. The supposed reason he was released was on grounds of compassion, but we may find out the real reason once there has been an inquiry. We've heard that the prosecutors knew that he would win his appeal, because of evidence that has come to light since his conviction, and they didn't want to get spanked. There is a specific document that they have, but do not want to ever release. I would like to see what's in that document.

We need to ask, also, who benefits from the release of this man? And was this some sort of cover-up from day one? Keep watching how things play out with the UK, the US and Libya, because I think we'll get some clues from that, as well.

In the meantime, Westminster is trying to distance themselves from this, which is...interesting. If there ends up being no inquiry at all, then we will know this whole thing goes so deep that it will remain a mystery forever.

Post Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:14 am   View user's profile Send private message
Wonko

Have you been away from the US for too long to realize that the bombing he was convicted of was too long ago to be of any interest to the general American population, and news media. After all, it's much more important to report on models and reality TV "stars" especially when one is suspected of murdering the other. With a news story like that, when do you think there's time to report on some guy whom nobody knows who was convicted of blowing up a plane over some other country a couple decades ago? That's not sexy, so who cares?

Rolling Eyes

Post Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:04 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
18Rabbit

If they have evidence that he should be released because he wasn't really guilty then they should exonerate him, say "Oops, sorry, we had to blame someone you know" and suffer the consequences. Otherwise I think it sucks, the whole celebration when he got home was kind of weird though I don't really think there's a situation that we've had from the American perspective similar to it.

Post Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:29 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
imonica

Wonko, I'm 40 years old, so I remember it pretty well. And I've only been away from the US for 2 and 1/2 years. I agree with you, however, that the media tends to report what's considered "sexy".

18R, I think the there are plenty of folks who think he should have had another trial (including some victim's families), due to the info that's come out since his conviction. Not that they think he's innocent, but because they are unsure, and want to know what this evidence might be. The thing is, if Scotland proved that he was wrongly convicted, the finger would point at the British and the US investigators as well, and we can't have that, can we? It's very likely that the Secretary of Justice made this decision, because he knew that getting all those involved in the investigation to cooperate would be impossible. The media was going on and on yesterday about a possible cover-up, but couldn't get any answers, aside from the usual rehearsed broken record-style crap. The victim's families deserve to have an inquiry, no matter what the outcome.

Post Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:14 am   View user's profile Send private message
Sean

It's simple, he is going to die in the next couple of months. The US/GB have been trying to improve relations with Libya because they have oil and we want some of it. We figured we could throw them a bone to show them that we really want them to be our friend and ask them nicely not to treat him like a national hero when he returns.

You watch, we'll be filling our tanks with Libyan oil by year's end. It doesn't matter whether we've got a red or blue president. Oil's king.

http://manly-but-bookish.blogspot.com/

Post Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:25 pm   View user's profile Send private message
imonica

Yep. Rolling Eyes A few years back, Tony Blair made an informal agreement with Libya to do a prisoner swap. The thing is, there was only one Libyan prisoner here, and we know who that was. The Scots were pissed about it, because it wasn't Blair's decision to make. And yet, it has happened. So for Westminster to distance themselves from this is BS.

Post Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:50 am   View user's profile Send private message
imonica

Keep in mind that the agreement was for a prisoner EXCHANGE, not release. Releasing Megrahi on grouds of compassion is the Scottish Justice Secretary's way of giving the finger to those who will benefit from this, and at least leave us the option of having an inquiry. Do you hear the UK or US officials screaming for an inquiry? We'll see what happens in the next couple of weeks.

Post Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:12 am   View user's profile Send private message
imonica

I should have said prisoner transfer, rather, because that's really what the powers that be wanted.

See, I'm just rambling now, because I'm so tired. My daughter woke me when I was having a dream about being chased by a zombie. I've never dreamed about zombies before! Wassup with that?! Shocked Anyway, I was trying to make a decision to either jump out of the 4th floor window, or have my brain eaten by the zombie, when I heard "Mommy!" My daughter apologized for waking me so early, but later hugged me and said she was happy to have saved me from the zombie. Awww... Wink

Post Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:50 am   View user's profile Send private message
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: