Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> Politics

Facebook and The Patriot Act

Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
juissez

Facebook and The Patriot Act  Reply with quote  

In my time on this forum the subject of the Patriot Act has come up on many an occasion. And although different people have different issues with it, I believe the majority of us have a problem with a government that takes it upon themselves to collect detailed personal information about us.

But I am amazed with the amount of people I know who will argue tooth and nail against the Patriot Act and then put so damn much of their personal information on Facebook. Full life histories written in the hopes of finding some long-lost childhood friend, numerous embarrassing pictures of their friends with the names of all involved tagged to the pictures, hours spent answering exhaustive surveys on their purchasing habits, becoming fans, and joining numerous applications.

I want all the facebook users who read this to do something real quick. Log on to your account and click on "Application Settings" in the Settings tab to the upper right. Now take a look at all the organizations that you have given access to your personal information (and personal information of your Facebook friends as well).

But wait there is more. Continue checking all the choices in the drop down menu "Recently Used, Bookmarked, Added to Profile, Authorized, Allowed to Post, and Granted Additional Permissions"

Now if you never join any clubs, become anyone's fan, accept strange digital alcoholic beverages, choose your Top 5 whatever, then you will see very little in this Settings area. But if you do these things often, well then have fun with the giant list of people who currently have access to your personal information

Post Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:56 am   View user's profile Send private message
imonica

^Yep. I'm far too paranoid to be on any of the big social networking sites. Actually, this is the only site I post on. I get invitations from friends to join Facebook, but I'll stick with the emails, thanks. Besides, I'm sure both the governments of the USA and the UK know just about everything there is to know about me, anyway. If they want to know more, they can keep sending me 20 page forms to fill out. I just love those forms! Rolling Eyes

Post Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:45 am   View user's profile Send private message
lisa

Honey. There is a super computer somewhere that has all the inhabitants of the world that ever lived and will majorly and minorly appear regardless of whether you are on any big social networking site.

There is hubble and hubble's grand kid up there. There is molecular television. And computers with video-audio sensors already with Pentium 4.

Every cell phone is tracked. And they are not looking for you.

Enjoy the internet. Enjoy face book. Don't worry about the info shared.

The Earth belongs to someone else. You are brief visitor number 42.

Post Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:54 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
imonica

Lisa, I've been on those kinds of websites in the past, but haven't done for years now. You see, even brief visitors like me, who never post pics of myself or my family, or give out important personal details, can have some really awful things happen. I prefer not to take the chance again.

Post Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:35 am   View user's profile Send private message
Ginjg

Umm, you may want to rethink that position - you're siding with Obama. Just today, he warned school kids to be careful about what they post.

If I make it public, I don't care who sees it or collects it. That's the definition of public. But I do expect what I keep private to remain private. The government has no business wasting time on my personal life, public or private, without good cause. They really have much more important things to attend to - national security, infrastructure, public health, safety & education, civil rights, monitoring and regulating commerce.

Before Telephones, TVs, Radios, Internet, and big anonymous suburbs, the gossip mills spread the intimate details of your personal life across your community, so it's really nothing new.

The real danger is the rising corporate oligarchy that's tightening it's grasp. As the consolidations and mergers concentrate the control into fewer and fewer hands, the choices available become fewer as well. It's across the board - media, food production and distribution, most consumer goods. Every credit, debit or check purchase you make is known, catalogued and used to target you for manipulation.

Media is just the most visible example. A handful of companies control both print and broadcast media. Reuters and AP disseminate most of the content. The "Subcription Lifestyle" is everywhere. It hands control of what's available to you to some people that don't necessarily have your interests at heart. It's designed to keep you at home and distracted from matters of import.

And just to make sure they're not missing anyone, "free" DTV has extended that grasp to those who can ill afford to buy in. When your only connection to current information is TV because the local paper has folded, and you live in an area that can't get the dtv signal there's no other choice. I just hope some clever hacker is busy building a pirate transmission method that can penetrate all delivery formats.

If you want privacy, fly low and avoid the radar - pay cash, buy locally produced, shop independently owned, attend local live entertainment.

~~~~~~~

Why should we bother with immortality when we are eternal?

Post Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:36 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
juissez

Well, I guess I can't disagree with the President 100% of the time. Damn.

Post Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:54 am   View user's profile Send private message
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: