Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> Politics

WTF

Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Ginjg

WTF  Reply with quote  

I'm all for workers comp and employer responsibility. But this is ridiculous.

Certainly the company should be liable for the medical care resulting from the back injury. But the weight loss should be his own responsibility. It was not the company's fault he's overweight.

Talk about wasting health care and workers' Comp fund $.
Surgery should be the very last option. There's medically supervised fasts that are just as rapid and far less expensive, far less dangerous.

What say you?

~~~~~~~

Why should we bother with immortality when we are eternal?

Post Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:24 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
fortune cookie

What do you expect?
That's todays society.
"I want it ALL, with a side of more."
No. You don't get a "please", it wasn't a request.

Post Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:33 pm   View user's profile Send private message
imonica

Ginjg, the docs over here won't perform the surgery at all until the patients diet for a while. It's something to do with the amount of fat around the liver and other organs. Not only that, they only perform a certain number of those operations a year, so anyone who doesn't follow the dietary rules BEFORE the surgery get dropped from the list. The reason behind that is that if they won't follow the rules beforehand, they're not gonna follow them after. It's amazing how many people lie and say the're following the diet, when the docs can easily tell they're not. Anyway, the good thing about the program here is many people find that with assistance, they can lose weight without having the surgery at all.

Post Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:19 am   View user's profile Send private message
Goudron

I don't understand how obesity caused a worse back injury, but consider another case mentioned in the article: A person messes up their knee at work. Knee replacement surgery won't work unless they lose a bunch of weight - so if they performed the knee replacement surgery, the employer might feel they're being fair, but the knee is still essentially injured due to a workplace injury.

imonica, I'm not sure why diet would be monitored prior to gastric bypass surgery - the whole point is to physically curb intake. If you have gastric bypass surgery, and eat too much at one time, you throw up. Diet/exercise should be the first method of course since *surgery* is risky and extrme, but I don't know why eating behaviour would preclude one from getting the surgery.

Post Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:35 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
imonica

Goudron, there have been far too many people who have had serious problems with the dietary restrictions post-surgery. Despite all the warnings they are given, they still believe the surgery is like a magic pill, and that no work or discomfort will be involved. Rolling Eyes

On a positive note, once in the program, many of the patients find out that they DO actually have the willpower to take the less risky route of diet and exercise. But they need lots of help, for a long period of time, in order to make a complete life change.

Post Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:13 am   View user's profile Send private message
Ginjg

Goudron wrote:
I don't understand how obesity caused a worse back injury, but consider another case mentioned in the article: A person messes up their knee at work. Knee replacement surgery won't work unless they lose a bunch of weight - so if they performed the knee replacement surgery, the employer might feel they're being fair, but the knee is still essentially injured due to a workplace injury.

imonica, I'm not sure why diet would be monitored prior to gastric bypass surgery - the whole point is to physically curb intake. If you have gastric bypass surgery, and eat too much at one time, you throw up. Diet/exercise should be the first method of course since *surgery* is risky and extrme, but I don't know why eating behaviour would preclude one from getting the surgery.
If they said he needed liposuction prior to the surgery, I would maybe agree. That's immediate relief of the strain on the back injury. Even multiple liposuction procedures could be construed as preliminary treatment for the back issue.
Neither gastric bypass or lapband surgery affords more rapid weight loss than the much less dangerous and far less expensive medically supervised ULC diet/fasts. Nor does it result in any longer term weight loss.

~~~~~~~

Post Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:07 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
Goudron

I'd assume the sheer weight is the problem with the back injury. Again, I don't know how it *contributed* to the injury as they suggest, but if you have an injured back and you're lugging an extra 250# around, that could be a problem I suppose. You can only have so much liposuction before you lose too much blood.

imonica, I understand life's a bitch after GP surgery, and a lot of people don't seem to get that. Goudron Jr.'s elementary school princial committed suicide about a year afterward despite (partially due to?) having lost so much weight. Very sad.

I'm on the fence here, mostly playing devil's advocate.

Post Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:39 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
walk

i'm all aboard the gp-surgery-is-nuts boat.
if you've had it and it worked :high 5: but the few people who end up either balls to the wall crazy (case in point, my aunt) or worse (case in point, see goudron's post) afterwards makes me think this shit should be stopped like fen phen. Razz
and the pizza place having to pay for the surgery is ridiculous.

"there's just one more thing.... it's been emotional." lock stock and 2 smoking barrels

Post Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:52 pm   View user's profile Send private message
urhangovergirl

Im thinking the cutoff weight was something like 350 and because he was under that when the injury occured, the weight gained afterward is a direct result of his injury and subsequent surgeries. That also, then, being the same thing that is barring him from having a second, potentially successful surgery, would be reason enough for it to be a valid claim.

He can't exercise if his back is injured, and they don't have the right to force him to go on a diet as they didnt have physcial requirements beyond being able to cook a pizza when he was hired. Im sure nutrionist, etc isnt something covered by workers comp, but surgery is.

It's dumb, but it's legit in mine eyes.

Post Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:00 pm   View user's profile Send private message
Ginjg

The only thing the surgery actually does is force him to go on a VLC diet program for a while.

the point is that the surgery is many times more dangerous, doesn't cause more rapid or greater weight loss and doesn't have any longer lasting effects than the VLC diet.

Since a VLC diet is equally effective with or without the surgery, I'd say that the surgery is an extreme and medically unnecessary procedure.

(VLC stands for very low calorie and refers to programs like optifast and the UCLA medical fast - they are 600 calories day for women usually 700 calories a day for men broken up into 100 calorie servings of shakes or soups spaced through the day.
And it's the same stuff they feed bariatric surgery patients.)

~~~~~~~

Post Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:57 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
Lara

A co-worker had to take an extended leave of absence from work. An e-mail was sent out letting us know that she was going to be gone for a while and asked if we would consider donating some of our own annual leave to cover her time. An hour, two, or eight... whatever. I was really concerned and considered donating a day until someone let me know she was going in for gastro-intestinal by-pass surgery. Losing weight can save your life, that's for sure, but I couldn't bring myself to donate.

She came back. 100 pounds lighter and still losing. Looks great! Bitch... Wink

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1286305849

Post Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:19 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: