Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> Politics

Curious side-by-side stories

Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Watching The Wheels

Curious side-by-side stories  Reply with quote  

Five articles caught my attention this week.

Two on the subject of interracial marriages.

Breaking the Last Social Taboo
Bill de Blasio, running for city council in NYC, featured his interracial family in political ads.

"With Barack Obama having rewritten the history of race relations in this country, de Blasio may be demolishing one of its last taboos, 'For so long in American history, interracial couples went out of their way to keep their relationships out of the public eye that itís remarkable to see them used in a campaign like this,' said Peggy Pascoe, a historian of interracial marriage at the University of Oregon, who referred to the campaign as 'a post-Obama phenomenon.'"

::hi-fives Bill de Blasio::

Interracial Couple Denied Marriage License
Keith Bardwell, justice of the peace in Louisiana, denies an interracial couple a marriage liscense.
    "I'm not a racist. I just don't believe in mixing the races that way," Bardwell told the Associated Press on Thursday.

Bardwell, you say you're not a racist, but you follow that comment with what I find to be straight-up racism. I don't know what to believe.

A thought on Louisiana: Can we sell it back to the French? I think we could get a great deal on it. (Don't tell the French about the water damage. Shh!)

Sidebar, from the article: "It is really astonishing and disappointing to see this come up in 2009," said American Civil Liberties Union of Louisiana attorney Katie Schwartzmann. "The Supreme Court ruled as far back as 1963 that the government cannot tell people who they can and cannot marry."

Really? Really, really?
Can't the same argument be used for same-sex marriages?

######

Three on the subject of US monies and Pakistan.
Less than a week ago:
It's official: No Social Security raises next year
    "There will be no cost of living increase for more than 50 million Social Security recipients next year, the first year without a raise since automatic adjustments were adopted in 1975, the government announced Thursday."

Well, that sucks. The US is out of money?

US Gives $7.5 Billion to Pakistan
    "There are no conditions on Pakistan attached to the authorization of $7.5 billion in non-military aid. The only requirements on this funding are financial accountability measures that Congress is imposing on the U.S. executive branch, to ensure that this assistance supports programs that most benefit the Pakistani people."

Wait? But senior Americans back home?
Health care? What?
Well, it's non-military aid. I guess that's not so bad.

Pakistan Launches Offensive Against the Taliban
    "Pakistani troops and the Taliban fought fierce battles on Sunday in a militant sanctuary near the Afghan border, with both sides claiming early victories in an army campaign that could shape the future of the country's battle against extremism."

::heavy sigh::
...you're breaking my balls, Congress.

Post Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:33 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
Tito

Re: Curious side-by-side stories  Reply with quote  

Watching The Wheels wrote:
"There will be no cost of living increase for more than 50 million Social Security recipients next year, the first year without a raise since automatic adjustments were adopted in 1975, the government announced Thursday."[/list]

SS raises are tied to the consumer price index. There was basically no inflation last year so no raises.

Post Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:09 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
LostInWalmart

If seniors want to go fight the Taliban, they can have their money back.

Post Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:33 am   View user's profile Send private message
Lavandula Girl

.50 caliber machine guns, mounted on walkers? The army now communicates via jitterbug phones? I can see this working.

Post Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:34 am   View user's profile Send private message
Watching The Wheels

Re: Curious side-by-side stories  Reply with quote  

I say we put the old people in cars, then deploy 'em with specific instructions to never leave their car. Old people in cars is the most dangerous combination I can think of. They seem to have a complete disregard for human life when they get behind the wheel.

I can imagine two Taliban militants.
"It appears there's a car full of old people heading straight for us. Should we get out of the way?"
"No, it's okay. They have their left blinker on. They'll turn." A pause. "OH, #$%@! They're not turning! They're not turning. FLEE! This is a shit!"

Tito wrote:
Watching The Wheels wrote:
"There will be no cost of living increase for more than 50 million Social Security recipients next year, the first year without a raise since automatic adjustments were adopted in 1975, the government announced Thursday."[/list]

SS raises are tied to the consumer price index. There was basically no inflation last year so no raises.

Well, yeah. I was being glib about the COLA.
While SS isn't going to increase, most people will get a $250 stimulus. I should have quoted it, but really I wanted to emphasize the part about this program costing $13 B and Obama considering taking a loan out for the money, further increasing the National Debt.

The $250 payments would go to Social Security recipients as well as those receiving veterans or disability benefits, railroad retirees, and retired public employees who don't receive Social Security. Recipients would be limited to one payment, even if they qualified for more.

The White House put the cost of the payments at $13 billion. Obama said he would not allow the money to come out of the Social Security trust funds, which would further erode the finances of the retirement program. Social Security already is projected to pay out more in benefits than it collects in taxes in each of the next two years.

However, Obama did not offer any alternatives to finance the payments. A senior administration official said Obama was open to borrowing the money

We can throw $7.5 B to Pakistan, but suddenly scrounging up $13 B is a loan? Whatever. America is playing with fake money, anyway. Almost $12 T in debt?

I think I'm going to invest in Monopoly money. Those pink $5s are looking pretty strong.

Post Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:21 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: