Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> Politics

One Nation, Under God...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
  Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Ginjg

Tito wrote:
mllefifi wrote:
Yeah, someone needs to translate all of the nice parts of the bible into "mean."

There's already a lot of mean in there. Whole lotta smitin' goin' on in the old testament.

But, equally ridiculous as editing out "liberal" content was the attempt to make it gender neutral.

Either way, I always thought one of the selling points of the bible was that it was inspired by god and the way it has allegedly remained constant through the ages. If god dictated the thing, I don't think he'd (there, I said it, HE - but only in the traditional christian sense) would take kindly to having an editor forced on his work.
In the original hebrew/aramaic (old testament) the word used for god is feminine when discussing creative acts and masculine when authoritarian or vengeful. So god is documented to be a duality.

AFIK, no one ever tried to refer to Jesus as gender neutral, though his reported behavior certainly was asexual.

~~~~~~~

Why should we bother with immortality when we are eternal?

Post Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:44 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
sgt_steve

Watching The Wheels wrote:
I'd love to read that bible.
jesus wrote:
If you didn't want to be a leper, you shouldn't have angered God in the first place. Get a job, meektard.
"Meektard." I'm so using that word.

Post Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:56 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
fortune cookie

Ya ever notice that in the Old Testament God is all vengeful, jealous an' shit?
Then, in the new testament, after he has a kid.
He's all like "forgive and forget", "turn the other cheek", an shit?
Having kids, even mellows God out?

Post Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:36 pm   View user's profile Send private message
Tito

Ginjg wrote:
In the original hebrew/aramaic (old testament) the word used for god is feminine when discussing creative acts and masculine when authoritarian or vengeful. So god is documented to be a duality.

AFIK, no one ever tried to refer to Jesus as gender neutral, though his reported behavior certainly was asexual.

Personally, I don't care if god is he she or it, but I'm curious if you have a reference for the above. I didn't do an exhaustive search, but I found this in wikipedia, which we all know is as infallible as the bible:

Grammatical Gender in the Bible

The first words of the Old Testament are B'reshit bara Elohim "In the beginning God created."[6] The verb bara (he created) suggests a masculine subject. Elohim is also masculine in form.
Two of most common phrases in the Tanakh are vayomer Elohim and vayomer YHWH "and God said" (hundreds of occurrences). Again, the verb vayomer (he said) is masculine; it is never vatomer, the feminine of the same verb form. The personal name of God, YHWH, is presented in Exodus 3 as if the Y (Hebrew yod) is the masculine subjective prefix to the verb to be.
In Psalms 89:26 God is referred to as Father. "He shall cry unto me, Thou art my Father, My God, and the rock of my salvation."[7]
Some literary approaches to the Old Testament have argued that parallels between Biblical stories and earlier Sumerian, Akkadian and Canaanite creation myths show a matriarchal substratum that has been overlayed by a patriarchal approach.[8] "In the Bible, the earth is the feminine complement of God: the two combined to form man, who articulates their relationship, for example, in sacrifice."[9]
The New Testament also refers to the Holy Spirit in masculine terminology, most clearly in the Gospel of John 14-16.

Post Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:42 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
fortune cookie

chris wrote:
Notice how everybody on the RIGHT is really freaked out and everyone on the LEFT seems pretty happy to see Jesus.

Just sayin.

Jesus is a freakin' commie!

Akchooly, those you refer to as being "on the left" in the painting, are at the RIGHT hand of God.
Welcomed and righteous in his eyes.
And those you say are "on the right" in the painting, are at the left hand of God.
Pretty much gonna burn in hells fire eternally.

Either way, I see it as; We're all screwed" if the bible turns out to be spot on.

Post Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:44 pm   View user's profile Send private message
Ginjg

Tito wrote:

Personally, I don't care if god is he she or it, but I'm curious if you have a reference for the above. I didn't do an exhaustive search, but I found this in wikipedia, which we all know is as infallible as the bible:

Since I don't read hebrew, I'm relying upon the word of several Rabbis. However, here is a link to a Theology School site that points out several places in OT where god is referred to in the feminine.

~~~~~~~

Post Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:08 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
zendao42

I'll just be glad when they eradicate the KJV version-
if they make it less phallocentric in the process, I'll have no complaints... Razz

Post Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:48 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Tito

Ginjg wrote:
Tito wrote:

Since I don't read hebrew, I'm relying upon the word of several Rabbis. However, here is a link to a Theology School site that points out several places in OT where god is referred to in the feminine.

It's all just a hodgepodge of various mythologies anyway. Tell you what. Make god female. Tell him I said it was ok.

Post Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:28 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Watching The Wheels

From the new conservative bible:

5000 people followed Jesus into the desert. "But where will we buy food to eat? We have no money," asked one of the men. Jesus asked the men for the food they had brought with them. A small boy came forth bearing five loaves of bread and two fish. Jesus ate the bread and fish and performed a miracle: All 5000 people in the crowd received a tax cut.

ETA: Shit! Just saw last night's Colbert on Hulu. He skewered the new conservative bible infinitely better than I could.

Post Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:30 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
Ginjg

Watching The Wheels wrote:
From the new conservative bible:

5000 people followed Jesus into the desert. "But where will we buy food to eat? We have no money," asked one of the men. Jesus asked the men for the food they had brought with them. A small boy came forth bearing five loaves of bread and two fish. Jesus ate the bread and fish and performed a miracle: All 5000 people in the crowd received a tax cut.
that's a mistranslation - it actually says added Miracle Whip - The JC made Tuna salad sandwiches.

And all that "give me your food and let me share it with everyone" surely sounds like redistribution of wealth. It must be cut

~~~~~~~

Post Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:19 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
E. Q. Taft

Will it include the Gospel of Supply-Side Jesus?

http://www.buzzflash.com/contributors/03/09/17_franken.html

"Leprosy is a matter of personal responsibility. If people knew I was healing lepers, there would be no incentive to avoid leprosy!"
To get a little feel
of my own faulty bagnose.

Post Sat Oct 31, 2009 8:10 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: