Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> So You Wanna Be a Writer?

Writer's Block (Kind of...)

Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
sugarraydodge

Writer's Block (Kind of...)  Reply with quote  

I have been spending the last year and a half writing bonus chapters for my existing novels, and while it was fun and helped me learn to craft shorter work, I really need to start developing an concept for a completely new novel. The problem is, I get an idea, think it's way super-awesome, develop it in my brain all day, spend the whole evening writing notes, creating characters, and mapping plot points, go to bed, wake up the next morning and am convinced that it's crap. And then I start all over.

Am I the only person this happens to? How do you guys deal with writer's block or with the lack of confidence in anything you create?

Post Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:26 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
jkellestine

So yeah, that seems to happen to me plenty, but I eventually just break myself away from ideas come back to them a few days later and see what stands out most. Then I see where the idea goes.

I'm still finding a system that really works, I've always written but just attempting my first novel, but when it came to short stories and my screenplay I just distanced myself and then "came back home" so-to-speak.

Works for me.

hope your block died. Ha!

Post Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:23 pm   View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
zendao42

First, lay off the coke- yep, both kinds-
any kind of speed will eventually make you paranoid...

If this ain't the contributing factor, then I got nothing for now...

Post Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:50 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
mxlemore

Oh, man, have I been down this road! I keep an "idea" file. Currently, it is over 70 pages in length and somewhere in the neighborhood of 45-50k words long. I'm surprised every time I open it to add yet another idea.

Anyway, my suggestion is to start your own "idea" file. Put all of the story ideas you have into it. Don't necessarily worry about character sketches and such to begin with, unless, of course, they are really good character descriptions. Hell, you might even want to start a "character" file for all of the various character types your mind can devise.

If you're like me, roughly 60% of the ideas won't pass muster once you've given them time to ferment. In that case, open the file once you've gathered a significant amount of ideas and try piecing some of them together. Who knows, you might end up with Reeses after mixing two not-so-good ideas together!

Also, you can always come back to an idea that seemed great at first and then petered out and look at it from a different angle. Perhaps that new angle will give you better insight into a whole new (and better) story.

With this technique I've got several stories waiting to be written. Best of luck.

Hush, Hush, My Love is now available for Kindle, Nook, and other formats from Smashwords for free! You can view it here: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/50564

Post Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:06 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: