Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> So You Wanna Be a Writer?

so you know how ag always says

Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
girlEgirl

so you know how ag always says  Reply with quote  

"i don't read"? well my sister has been writing a lot more since she quit drinking, but has almost completely ceased to be the avid reader she once was. so i was wondering if this was a common reaction?

Post Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:41 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Sephonae

I think when he says he "doesn't read" he's referring to not reading his books aloud at book signings.

Post Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:44 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
girlEgirl

Sephonae wrote:
I think when he says he "doesn't read" he's referring to not reading his books aloud at book signings.

oh yeah, DUH JEANNIE!!! anyway, do you guys who are writers, tend to read less when you are in a productive creative phase?

Post Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:51 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
LostInWalmart

I think I heard AG say in an interview that he tries not to read while writing to avoid being influenced by style. Maybe it's reading in the same genre, or maybe I just made it up. It's also true he doesn't read at readings.

B

Post Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:25 pm   View user's profile Send private message
mxlemore

I think I read the same whether I'm working on a current novel or not. When writing a novel, however, I try to read books in that genre so as to keep in that frame of mind. I know writers who say contrary to that, but I found that while working on a horror novel, I was reading other genres as well and I had an idea for a crime thriller and wanted to drop everything to start it even though I thought my horror novel was still perfectly viable.

Currently, I'm writing a southern gothic novel and I am reading only southern gothic. By doing this, I have found that my story is flowing effortlessly and I write every day. But, this is just how I am. Obviously, others may be far different.

Hush, Hush, My Love is now available for Kindle, Nook, and other formats from Smashwords for free! You can view it here: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/50564

Post Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:33 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Taco Bob

Same here. I working on a Florida book, so I'm currently reading an early Carl Hiaasen, a collection of accounts of 1900 south Florida, and a big Jimmy Buffett scrapbook.
For Sheriff Skunk I read of lot of murder mysteries - mostly Michael Connelly's Harry Bosch series. Other favorites to read while working on a book of my own are Steinbeck and, of course, Moore.

Post Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:05 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
sugarraydodge

AG does to read, yeah huh he does! I have proof!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0scSOppA0iw

But I get what y'all are saying. While I was writing The Tumbleweed Dossier I read the hell out of vampire novels and alien abduction stories. Son of Santa was a bit more difficult, as there is not nearly as much Christmas-themed literature out there as you might think.

Post Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:01 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
Lauren

For anyone who hasn't read it, The AG's "I Do Not Read." Very Happy

Post Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:22 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number
zendao42

sugarraydodge wrote:

AG does to read, yeah huh he does! I have proof!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0scSOppA0iw

But I get what y'all are saying. While I was writing The Tumbleweed Dossier I read the hell out of vampire novels and alien abduction stories. Son of Santa was a bit more difficult, as there is not nearly as much Christmas-themed literature out there as you might think.

Well, there's quite a bit of it but it's hard to wade through the sappy crap... Wink

Dude, you shoulda heard the AG read from APOCALYPSE SOUTH! Twisted Evil

Post Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:20 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Regina

I do this thing where I absolutely glut myself on fiction for about a week, then slow down and start up again, but I find it rarely has to do with whether or not I am working on something...

Post Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:25 am   View user's profile Send private message
girlEgirl

thank you lauren, i totally missed the point of that infamous "i don't read thing". Embarassed but since the responses were still helpful, it's all good. Very Happy

Post Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:52 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
zendao42

Regina wrote:

I do this thing where I absolutely glut myself on fiction for about a week, then slow down and start up again, but I find it rarely has to do with whether or not I am working on something...

Exclamation Strictly a reading thing: I like to balance the amount of fic & non-fic I read-
otherwise I feel, well, unbalanced... Wink

Post Sat Jul 10, 2010 2:22 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
chris
Site Admin

LostInWalmart wrote:
I think I heard AG say in an interview that he tries not to read while writing to avoid being influenced by style. Maybe it's reading in the same genre, or maybe I just made it up. It's also true he doesn't read at readings.

B

I read more, but it's usually non-fiction, research stuff, but I don't read certain writers who have a really distinct style that might infuse my work, like Elmore Leonard. This gets to be less of an issue as time goes on, but in my first couple of books, I can identify parts where I was reading Leonard by certain stylistic "tics" if you will, that I don't normally use.

I don't read at readings, at least not from my books. I think I suck at it, I read too fast, I edit on the fly, and it all sounds like a bad translation of German. If, however, I wrote something to be read aloud, then it's not such a big deal. As many of you know, I sometimes write little pieces that I read while on tour, like, "Open letter to the guy who peed in the steam iron in my hotel room," and stuff like that.

Post Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:47 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: