Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> Politics

a lot is bugging me about this whole thing

Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
walk

a lot is bugging me about this whole thing  Reply with quote  

http://www.bostonherald.com/news/national/northeast/view/20100831student_who_shocked_himself_suing_school_teacher/srvc=home&position=6

which is why i put it in politics.
i think that high school teachers are held way too responsible for their students. the kid is 18 and was in an electrical class. he should know better than to hook jumper cables to his nipples and flip the switch. the teacher shouldn't have to tell them that's gong to do damage. in classes like that where you have to answer individual questions a lot you can't keep your eye on every single student at all times.
there comes a point when people have to suck it up, say "damn my kid did something stupid, i'm just glad he/she lived" instead of sucking up the schools dwindling budget and the courts time with a damn darwin award wannabe.
there was a good satire of this in iceland of all places (i had a friend translate it) one panel was labeled 1980 and had 2 parents with a failing report card asking their kid why he was failing. the next panel had 2010 with the same scene except they were asking the teacher why their kid was failing. it seems these days parents are afraid to make their kids accept responsibility for their actions.
i got in a bad car wreck when i was 16 and almost ended up decapitated. no one was sued, i got a ticket reckless driving (totally deserved it) and life moved on.

"there's just one more thing.... it's been emotional." lock stock and 2 smoking barrels

Post Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:39 pm   View user's profile Send private message
Goudron

I agree, that's ridiculous, and I'm really glad you weren't decapitated!

Post Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:25 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
JustAGirl

Yeah... glad you still have your head!

And I agree that one of the best things a parent can teach a child is accountability.

Post Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:05 pm   View user's profile Send private message
fortune cookie

Walk I wanna have your baby.
(glad you weren't decapitated Wink )

Post Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:05 pm   View user's profile Send private message
Ginjg

School system should countersue for negligent parenting.
electricity = danger is a preschool concept - something that should have been taught in the home at a very early age. Definitely outside the school's responsibility,

~~~~~~~

Why should we bother with immortality when we are eternal?

Post Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:08 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
zendao42

When I was very young, I stuck a key in a socket- once!

Shocking, I know, but the point is I never did that again...

+1 for glad you still have your head

Post Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:16 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
walk

omg i'm so glad that you guys agree. it just amazes me the things the parents of my sister's students will try to blame on her. thankfully she's never been sued but still i'm sure there are some that want to try.
and i too am very very happy i still have a head! and that my parents and i didn't feel the need to blame other people for the accident.

"there's just one more thing.... it's been emotional." lock stock and 2 smoking barrels

Post Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:44 pm   View user's profile Send private message
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: