Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> Politics

Hows this for shits and grins?

Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
MrEMann

Hows this for shits and grins?  Reply with quote  

http://www.opencongress.org/bill/111-H5741/text

Quote:
H.R. 5741 is currently being argued in the house of representatives. If passed, H.R. 5741 will give the president the power to require 2 years of compulsory service from every US resident between ages 18 and 42. That's not a misprint: everyone between ages eighteen and forty-two will be required to serve in any capacity at the president's whim.

Ready to be drafted?

Post Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:56 pm   View user's profile Send private message
Watching The Wheels

The Bill has only been submitted to committee. So if the committee does something other than light the new Bill and Charles Rangel on fire, I'd be very surprised.

Post Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:59 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
sugarraydodge

Insane shit like this is always being introduced. I'm not TOO worried about it, because we have the 13th Amendment on our side. Also, Democrats are trying to get reelected and would vote against it if it made them look good. Radical factions MAY try to push it through if they become a Lame Duck Congress, but the Supreme Court would likely knock it down if the following congress doesn't repeal it. And as right-wingish as I am, I think that President Obama realizes how unpopular he would become if he signed such a bill into to law. Doesn't look good for reelection prospects, if y'know what I'm saying.

Post Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:40 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
conspiracies unlimited

Im too lazy to read the bill... Does it say compulsery MILITARY service? Of just service? Try reading starship troopers... RH makes an excellent arguement in favor of this... And i have to second it...
It's time to separate the awkwardly feminine from the possibly canadian

Post Sun Aug 08, 2010 2:05 pm   View user's profile Send private message
sugarraydodge

Draft = Bad Idea. The last thing I would want is to hand someone who doesn't give a shit a loaded weapon and expect him to have my back.

Post Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:23 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
zendao42

sugarraydodge wrote:

Draft = Bad Idea. The last thing I would want is to hand someone who doesn't give a shit a loaded weapon and expect him to have my back.

For real!

Try reading Heinlein's 1st book sometime-
you know, the one that was published long after he died-
it's really more of a political treaste than a novel but that's kinda the point...

Post Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:33 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
conspiracies unlimited

sugarraydodge wrote:

The draft worked fine up until vietnam... Even then it seemed to work ok ... Were it not for all the shenanigans here at home...

I served 9 yrs in an all volunteer (except for the guys who chose army vs jail) army and i would not worry about conscripts having my back... Everyones life depends on the man next to him... Conscripts understand that just as well as professionals

Post Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:36 pm   View user's profile Send private message
sugarraydodge

conspiracies unlimited wrote:
sugarraydodge wrote:

The draft worked fine up until vietnam... Even then it seemed to work ok ... Were it not for all the shenanigans here at home...

I served 9 yrs in an all volunteer (except for the guys who chose army vs jail) army and i would not worry about conscripts having my back... Everyones life depends on the man next to him... Conscripts understand that just as well as professionals

We can't even do that no more. When I became an Army recruiter they had specifically amended the regulation (AR 601-210) and now its illegal for us to write contracts for people who have been given an ultimatum by a judge to avoid jailtime. That was in 2002, so its been at least 8 years since that has happened (legally.) I, for one, am grateful.

Post Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:49 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
conspiracies unlimited

I never had a problem with the guys that served in lieu of jail time... For the most part they stayed out of trouble, and on numerous occassions kept the other guys out of trouble (prevented gyys from getting into bar fights and such)... They had too much to lose, so they kept out of trouble... It was the bleeding hearts and barracks lawyers that were a pain to serve with

Post Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:50 am   View user's profile Send private message
sgt_steve

Not quite about in lieu of jail, but a favorite poem:

I was the first fruits of the battle of Missionary Ridge.
When I felt the bullet enter my heart
I wished I had staid at home and gone to jail
For stealing the hogs of Curl Trenary,
Instead of running away and joining the army,
Rather a thousand times the county jail
Than to lie under this marble figure with wings,
And this granite pedestal
Bearing the words 'Pro Patria.'
What do they mean, anyway?

Post Sat Aug 14, 2010 4:59 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
girlEgirl

ok but isn't it possible that not having a draft makes it so that they just keep sending the same guys back over and over? and since quite a few people join the army to pay for their schooling and try to escape the cycle of poverty, it seems to me that not having a draft only prevents rich kids from serving. which also might make it easier for the government to occupy irag, without too much resistance, (we are still there, right? seriously i make a concerted effort to not think about horribly depressing things that i have no control over) because aren't people with higher incomes more likely to vote?

Post Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:33 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
zendao42

Nah, it's mostly lack of time that'll keep ya from voting, that or lack of interest-
both kept me home for elections in my student welfare days...

Post Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:32 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
chris
Site Admin

Is there any way we could tie time on Facebook to National Serivice? I mean, if you're going to waste X# of years of your life on Facebook, you have to put that much time in National Service -- Peace Corps, Head Start, whatever. And any amount of time you spend watching anything that begins "Real Housewives of", you have to spend doing weed abatement, when it's hot, with only rasberry Koolaid to drink, and not the real, sugar kind, the asparatame nasty aftertaste kind.

See, right there is how bills get to be 2000 pages long. Just getting the Weed Abatement Koolaid right would take ten pages.

Post Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:51 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: