Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> So You Wanna Be a Writer?

Fan Fiction that Doesn't Suck
Goto page Previous  1, 2
  Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Boota

The only problem I have with fan fiction is that it really has nowhere to go. Unless someone is going to pay me to write about someone elses characters then I really can't understand the time commitment as opposed to writing original work. However, if Marvel Comics wants to pay me to write Iron Man 3 I'm open to it.

Post Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:25 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
killertatertots

Boota wrote:
The only problem I have with fan fiction is that it really has nowhere to go. Unless someone is going to pay me to write about someone elses characters then I really can't understand the time commitment as opposed to writing original work. However, if Marvel Comics wants to pay me to write Iron Man 3 I'm open to it.

The women I know who write it (and it does seem to be mostly women) do it for the fun mostly, and the passion for the stories/characters. Most are not professional writers. Maybe some do it for the practice?
Who knows, but not everyone is motivated by the same thing.

Post Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:20 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
lilcoget

Re: Fan Fiction that Doesn't Suck  Reply with quote  

Lauren wrote:
sugarraydodge wrote:
Here is how you can write fan fiction, have it not suck and still be able to attach your name without being called a hack, a nutcase or an intellectual property thief.

1. Choose a character or property you love. Or maybe even two or three.
2. Come up with an original story for them. You have to give your audience a reason to read your work. Donít rehash old events and give it a twist ending, or tell vignettes that take place in between seasons/episodes/books/issues/etc. Come up with an original and complete story with a beginning, a middle and an end.
3. Make the characters your own. Tweak them slightly or even dramatically. Change their names. Give them their own original back-stories.

I kind of have to disagree with these points. Changing a few identifying facts about the characters doesn't take it out of the realm of fan fiction; it feels more akin to giving the characters funny hats and fake noses. Fans of the original series are, more likely than not, going to recognize their thinly-veiled protagonists.

Ok I have to say- can we re-write a story where we just give all the characters funny noses and hats? Something from Poe or Dickens maybe- cause that would just be fun ; )

Post Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:39 pm   View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: