Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> Reading Suggestions

Currently Reading - The Sequel
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 83, 84, 85 ... 90, 91, 92  Next
  Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
knikkki

LostInWalmart wrote:
holy crap! a Nikki sighting!

*enters it into Nikki-spotting notebook*

DUDEEEEEE ... come to Facebook. Come to Shelfari. I miss your stuff, but never remember to come here anymore.

Post Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:05 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
LostInWalmart

*hehe, she misses my stuff*

Post Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:11 pm   View user's profile Send private message
knikkki

sgt_steve wrote:

There were a number of historical details which Willis spent too much time on, especially the night of the major air raid. Interesting as history, moderately involving as threat to the central characters, but mostly didn't advance the story one bit.

Which isn't to say I didn't like the book; I did. But it could have used a big trim.

HUGE trim. both together could have easily have been one book with editing but I really like it enough to keep going. Wouldn't have gotten through it on paper though, so I'm glad I finally discovered audio books.

Post Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:13 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
knikkki

LostInWalmart wrote:
*hehe, she misses my stuff*

Nice evasion of the invite to visit us in the new reality.

Post Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:15 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
sgt_steve

knikkki wrote:
sgt_steve wrote:
There were a number of historical details which Willis spent too much time on, especially the night of the major air raid. Interesting as history, moderately involving as threat to the central characters, but mostly didn't advance the story one bit.

Which isn't to say I didn't like the book; I did. But it could have used a big trim.
HUGE trim. both together could have easily have been one book with editing but I really like it enough to keep going. Wouldn't have gotten through it on paper though, so I'm glad I finally discovered audio books.
If I recall correctly, I had the same problem with Willis' Domesday Book. When a novel depends on external circumstances for tension, it's got a problem.

Post Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:06 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
zendao42

Due to change in library time limits, stacks are now shorter
but more frequent so I'll be combining them:

REVAMPED- LUCIENNE DIVER- short, sweet & bloody
THE PASSAGE- JUSTIN CRONIN- long, intense & still working on it
23 HOURS- DAVID WELLINGTON- from the series with VAMPIRE ZERO
SLEIGHT OF MIND- STEPHEN MACKNIK- how the mind plays tricks on you
SQUIRREL SEEKS CHIPMUNK- DAVID SEDARIS- should be good for laughs

Expect more stuff once I get the nook up & running...

Post Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:59 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
zendao42

OK, guess I'm the only one still reading... Shocked

In the past month, checked out:

MR. MONSTER- DAN WELLS- sequel!
JANES GOES BATTY- MICHAEL THOMAS FORD- sequel!
THE GRAND DESIGN- STEPHEN HAWKING- stuff about the universe
ELECTRIC BARRACUDA- TIM DORSEY- Serge fans must read this!
SHIT MY DAD SAYS- JUSTIN HALPERN- will keep you giggling all day
THE NEXT QUEEN OF HEAVEN- GREGORY MAGUIRE- didn't know it'd been out this long
DON'T SING AT THE TABLE- ADRIANA TRIGIANI- what she learned from 2 Italian grandmas
THE HIDDEN REALITY- BRIAN GREENE- more stuff about the universe

Also read:

HEIDEGGER & A HIPPO WALK THROUGH THOSE PEARLY GATES- CATHCART & KLEIN
EVIL GENIUS- CATHERINE JINKS

How about the rest of y'all?

Post Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:32 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Ferrit Leggings

Last Words - George Carlin

Post Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:54 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Sara Leigh

I just finished Bare Bones, another Temperance Brennan story, which I enjoyed more than the last one or two. I'm ready for one that doesn't include her almost getting killed by the bad guy, though. Surely there's another way to achieve suspense. Not sure what I'm going to start now.

Between Vampyres of Hollywood and Bare Bones, I've read several. I'll try to retrieve the titles from my feeble brain.

The Weird Sisters by Eleanor Brown, wherein three sisters return home for various dysfunctional reasons and help their mother through chemo and surgery for breast cancer. Their father is a Shakespeare scholar, thus they all are named after characters in the plays and he speaks in epigrams from Shakespeare that are frequently obtuse. I enjoyed it and am frequently drawn to books that center around the family dynamic of three sisters. Hmm. I wonder why.

A Discovery of Witches by Deborah E. Harkness, a supernatural mystery/thriller/romance with witches, vampires, and demons, along with the humans. It's the first of a trilogy, thus it bogs down a bit in the middle because the author felt the need for a lot of foundation material that could perhaps have been abbreviated. I did enjoy the concept and most of the book, and I'm looking forward to the next installment. Alchemy, history, and the history of science all play major roles, of course, what with the vampires and witches. And the point of the whole trilogy is a war between the long-standing governing council of supernaturals and the upstarts who want to change the restrictions on fraternization between the species, among other things.

I have to go look through my stacks and my iPad to see what else. These are the most recent two.

Post Sat Mar 19, 2011 4:50 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
LostInWalmart

finished Catching Fire and Mockingjay (hungers games trilogy 2 and 3). Not bad. Increasingly far-fetched, but entertaining.

finished Packing For Mars by Mary Roach. Too short. Funny and gross and informative.

finished Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and started Through the Looking Glass.

Post Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:54 pm   View user's profile Send private message
JennyO

I read The Lacuna by Barbara Kingsolver about a month ago. Best book I've read in ages. Historical fiction in the form of journals and letters with some of the most intriguing real life characters in recent history...Diego Rivera, Frida Kahlo, and Trotsky, to name a few. Highly recommended.

Also read True Grit (the Coen Bros. version is a very faithful adaptation).

Read Sara Gruen's new one, I think it was called The Ape House. Nowhere near as good as Water For Elephants. I can't wait for that movie. I think Christoph Waltz is a fantastic casting decision.

Read an ARC of Louis Bayard's new one, The School of Night. Nothing earth-shattering, but it was a fun, quick read and would be a good one for summer vacations. 'Specially if you like historical fiction with a bit of mystery thrown in.

Kurt Vonnegut

Post Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:58 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Ferrit Leggings

When Will Jesus Bring the Pork Chops? George Carlin

Post Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:40 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Wingnut

Makers - Cory Doctorow

I bought a copy of this book cuz I thought the cover was cool.

This is the best piece of SF that I have read in a long, long time. It's also incredibly emotional - there are characters here that you love, that you hate, that you cheer on. I was getting all choked up reading the epilogue. Other than that, I ain't sayin' nuthin'. (Except that you should read it)

Oh, and you can get it free at the link above - the author has made it available on a creative commons license. Formats for every type of e-reader you can think of.

"Life's too short to get wrapped around the axle about the little things." - SK

-The First Law of Geography: Everything is Connected to Everything Else.

Post Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:09 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
LostInWalmart

finished Through the Looking Glass

started and finished Murakami's What I Talk about When I Talk about Running

started Charles Yu's How to Live Safely in a Science Fictional Universe

started Jennifer Egan's A Visit from the Goon Squad

B

Post Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:50 am   View user's profile Send private message
zendao42

LostInWalmart wrote:

started Charles Yu's How to Live Safely in a Science Fictional Universe

Lemme know if it's any good, I keep seeing it somewhere...

Post Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:35 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 83, 84, 85 ... 90, 91, 92  Next

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: