Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> So You Wanna Be a Writer?

is this in bad taste?
Goto page Previous  1, 2
  Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
sugarraydodge

Oliverbritten wrote:
urhangovergirl wrote:
That's cool.

I just think the US govt tends to target smaller places, like Tuskegee. As a reader, I would find it more believable that something like that would happen in a small town. Being so close to LA, myself, I find it hard to believe that parents could control ALL forms of media children were exposed to.

I do think a larger place would add some kind of excitement to it, but to make it really believable, you will have to overcome a lot of obstacles. Being that things like the internet aren't always available to smaller regions, and our govt liking to pick on poorer people...well, it seems like it might be easier on YOU to put them in a small town...and then maybe they go to LA, and there they are exposed to the myriad medias that play with our mind.

but, hey, it's your book, and your idea babe! Go for it!

I think I may go for a bigger area, maybe somewhere outside the U.S like London. Setting it in L.A seemed like a good idea since lots of media is made there so the control aspect would seem more believable.

I would just make up some fictional town in Alaska or someplace, poulation 5,000. But that's just me.

Post Thu Mar 20, 2008 5:45 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
mllefifi

sugarraydodge wrote:
I would just make up some fictional town in Alaska or someplace, poulation 5,000. But that's just me.

Yeah, call it "Kazakhstan."

Worked for Borat. Very Happy

Post Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:05 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
sugarraydodge

mllefifi wrote:
sugarraydodge wrote:

Yeah, call it "Kazakhstan."

Worked for Borat. Very Happy

Borat made up Kazakhstan? I thought it was The West Wing. Smile

Post Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:30 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
Unkle Greggo

I really wouldn't worry about the timing either. So many books have been responses to real world situations anyway, even if they are fiction.

Post Tue May 27, 2008 7:45 am   View user's profile Send private message
DannyFerris27

And here I was expecting cripple jokes. Don't worry about something like that. Find the line and cross it. I really doubt anyone would take offense to that, though. You've got nothing to worry about.

Post Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:08 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: