Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> BITE ME: A Love Story

Feelings On The End (Possible Spoilers)
Goto page Previous  1, 2
  Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Sephonae

mllefifi wrote:
Sephonae wrote:
Wonko wrote:
Ummm.... Abby dumped Foo...

Didn't he sorta initiate the break-up cuz he was going away for school?

Foo was already in school, working on a doctorate, right?

I did a bit of research.

In "You Suck," when Steve & Abby first meet, he tells her, "I'm working on my biochem masters [sic] at S.F. State." (p. 273)

After the first few chapters in "Bite Me," Abby experiences feelings of rejection from Steve, who's got his science geek on with the vampire rats (I think this started being noted in the narrative around the time she crashed his car). Finally, on p. 260, it's more than just a feeling:

And I grabbed Foo and kissed him hard, but I could feel him pulling away.

And he's like, "Abby, after this is over--"

And I'm like, finger on his lips, "Shh, shh, shh, Foo. Do not awkwardize the moment with sniveling. I've been preparing my whole life for this."

(By "this" she refers to being a vampire herself.)

And then on p. 295:

"You're such a racist, Foo. I'm glad we broke up."

"We did?"

"We were going to, weren't we? Wasn't that what you wanted to talk about? (Snip out the rest of her fabulous yet irrelevant rant.) Isn't that what you were going to say?"

"Not in so many words. I'm going to move to Berkeley. It's hard, Abby--"

And she cuts him off, he points out that her mom wants her home, end of romance. So Abby states that the breakup has happened but really it's a preemptive strike on her part, as she sensed Steve was going to initiate the split.

Why did Steve suddenly decide to pull up stakes and move to Berkeley? I think that's where his Uni was based, but he'd been doing fine commuting from SF up till then. I wonder if the shot Cavuto took, saying that if Abby wasn't crushing on Tommy, they'd all be fucked, had something to do with it...

Post Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:28 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Wonko

Sephonae wrote:

I (irrelevant rant.) Suck... (irrelevant rant.) ...

You shouldn't be so hard on yourself, Seph, Anyone can make a mistake.

See how easy it is to change the meaning of words when you take them all out of context.

Post Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:50 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Sephonae

^Sorry, Dude; what am I leaving out? Maybe I'm missing something?

Post Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:04 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Fish?

sugarraydodge wrote:
I'm a total lost cause, everybody. My iTunes rotation played "Somewhere Out There" from American Tale (not the version sung my the mice, but the single) and I totally started thinking about Tommy and Jody. It wasn't a pretty picture. It took me a few minutes to gather myself off the floor where I totally wasn't crying. I was just... not crying. Razz

Aww, dude! Now you've got me choking up again... ^^;

Damn it.

Well, that aside, i'd say dear old Sephonae hit the nail on the head.

The Abby Tommy combo seems to have struck many of you as odd. I just sort of shrugged it off and rolled with it. But I think it's safe to say their relationship would be greatly expounded upon if there's ever another book. I think about it every night when I gaze up at the stars... x3

Post Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:36 am   View user's profile Send private message
Wonko

Sephonae wrote:

Sorry Embarassed I thought you were being sarcastic when you went all FoxNews on us. I wouldn't have been so snide if I thought you were actually serious. Embarassed

We obviously picked up on different aspects of the book and came to different interpretations. I did not mean to make it sound as if I was dismissing your viewpoint as wrong, I thought I was responding in kind to a joke.

The way you interpreted it, the part of the quote which you dismissed as being unimportant is the part of the quote I interpreted as being the part to which Steve was responding.

I'm being substitute food guy this week, so I don't have my book to reference the exact quote, sorry

Post Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:34 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Sephonae

Wonko wrote:
Sephonae wrote:

Sorry Embarassed I thought you were being sarcastic when you went all FoxNews on us. I wouldn't have been so snide if I thought you were actually serious. Embarassed

LOL - sadly, I was completely serious - in full-on geeky fangirl mode! Laughing

Wonko wrote:
The way you interpreted it, the part of the quote which you dismissed as being unimportant is the part of the quote I interpreted as being the part to which Steve was responding.

Fair enough; here's the full quote (the stuff in parentheses is the stuff I snipped out):

"We were going to, weren't we? Wasn't that what you wanted to talk about? (About how I'm way too complex and mysterious for you and you need to return to your traditional science nerd values and live in the Sunset with your parents, instead of the awesome love lair with your goddess-like vampire girlfriend, who will never do you again, even when you beg, even out of pity, no matter how fly your sexy manga hair is?) Isn't that what you were going to say?"

I suppose the spin I put on it could be mistaken, though. Very Happy
Or maybe there's some other bit (or bits) that I'm forgetting that point to Abby doing the dumping deliberately?

Post Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:32 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Catch42

Just finished the other night (I had decided to reread the prior two first as a refresher course, thus the delay) and I have to say that it was worth the wait! Absolutely LOVED IT! I admit that I also was saddened at the end, but if the A.G.'s past penchant for cameos by characters from other books is any indication, some (if not all) of these beloved heroes & heroines will return in some form in future works. Yet another favorite book of mine by my favorite author, Mr. Moore!

By the way, I have to say that the opening comment by Fish? was very well said & mirrors my sentiments exactly. Cheers mate!

Post Thu May 13, 2010 3:26 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ICQ Number
kidzlibrarian

Bite Me ending, my 2 cents  Reply with quote  

Jumping in here months later as I just got Bite Me from the library. I ended up rereading You Suck, which I own, to make sure I remembered important details.
I think that Tommy's choice to stay in S.F. as a human was logical for him. He seemed to enjoy parts of being a vampire but clearly expressed his inability to cope with other aspects. I had the same thought that someone else here expressed, maybe Jody will return when he is older and wiser and they'll reunite. They did care deeply for one another and had passion on their side. I think that Jody is saving Okata not out of a strong interest in becoming lovers but more because she thinks he is a special human being and can be useful as an ally. He has a compassionate nature, he is a talented artist and swordsman and his skipping expresses joie de vivre (sp.?). Dying now would be a shame. Tommy and Abbey... They'll probably hang out but as far as becoming a long lasting item, I think Abbey is way too drama queeny, immature, self-absorbed, morbid and irritating for anyone to date unless they are similar. Foo Dog just tuned Abbey out when she blithered too much for hm to bear (I can related to her feeling rejected because my boyfriend admitted he does that, too). Foo Dog may have been pulling away partially because of the whole legal angle. At this point Abbey is idolizing her love interests rather than appreciating them as multifaceted people. I don't think she is capable of being in a committed, supportive, long term relationship, yet. Tommy is a little more evolved. I agree with another poster, I wouldn't be surprised to see many of the characters in Bite Me reappear in other books even if there is not another book in this series. These are interesting characters with lots of stories left to tell.
Now I need to reread A Dirty Job. Love how C.M. shows the same scene from different points of view.

Post Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:55 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger
chris
Site Admin

In the first book, on the first date, Tommy says, "You're going to break my heart, aren't you?" Essentially, that's what he's in it for. I wish I'd remembered to use that refrain in the last scene of Bite Me. Something like, "I knew you were going to break my heart."

He's 19. Abby is 17. (I think she turns 17 in one of the books). How could he be attracted to her? He's 19. She likes him. She has a pulse.

In the draft of Bloodsucking Fiends that I first sent to the publisher, back in '94, Jody left with Elijah to go be a vampire with her own kind. Period. Because that's who she is.

My editor over-rode my decision and made me keep Tommy and Jody together, so I changed the ending to what it is now. It was this editor who also picked the idea for the book from a number of others I submitted, who complained that it was too bloody, despite the title, and who was ultimately responsible for a print run that was so abysmally low that it took ten years for my career to recover. (Also the reason that I left Simon & Schuster after Fiends.) Just some perspective. This was the ending that was supposed to happen, it just happened fourteen years after I intended it to.

It was the only time in my career where an editor second-guessed my decisions or I had to make a major change in a book. I'm not passing blame, I'm simply explaining where the story was supposed to go. It was a book about a girl who had sort of been kicked around by love, finding her own personal power, and it was a story about a young guy, who thinks that romance is going to give him what he needs to be what he wants to be. Very simple. The point was in the beginning, and again in the end became, that they got what they wanted. They found out who they were. They discovered and decided that they couldn't be those things if they stayed together.

I completely get it that people wanted them to be together. The whole, happily ever after thing would have easy to do, but if you had any idea how many people write to me, pissing and moaning, because they "could see the ending coming" in other books, particularly A Dirty Job, you'd also see that while the end of Bite Me is somewhat inevitable, if you look at how the characters developed over the trilogy, it's not predictable. Oh, readers will still piss and moan about it, but if Tommy and Jody had ended up together, they'd have pissed and moaned about that, too.

Post Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:38 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
sugarraydodge

Chris, I think the end of Bite Me (Tommy and Jody parting ways) and the emotional event it provokes is what makes the book a significant experience. I remember reading it on the plane back to Baltimore, and when I realized that Tommy and Jody were going to part company forever I began to tear up , and because of that it is one of the only new books this year that I still think about.

Sure, Tommy and Jody could have stayed together, and it would have been an okay ending, but people would probably have immediately forgotten about the whole Bite Me experience afterwards. Endings that provoke a significant emotional event are the ones that stay with people, for good or bad. Honestly, I think the book is all the better for it. Sure, I was bummed for DAYS afterward, and it took re-reading the ending on the return plane ride to Salt Lake for me come to terms with how I felt about it. Abby's description of the gi-normously huge future during this reading is what made me accept it, at the same time making me feel good about my own post-military future (as I had been in Baltimore to tie up all the loose ends of my 10 year Army experience.)

That's my 2-cents. Take it for what it is, especially given that it is coming from a guy who cries when puppets sing each other back to life...

Post Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:34 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
kidzlibrarian

More cents from me  Reply with quote  

Thanks for the background info, Chris! Glad you can make your own decisions now. I recommend your books to all my friends and acquaintances.
I liked the ending. I wouldn't even have minded if the last girl vampire from the boat had talked Jody into coming with her. I thought it made sense for Jody and Tommy to part ways. They wanted different things out of life or living death, whichever applies. I still think that if Tommy and Abbey hook up it wouldn't last long unless she matures quite a bit. I maintain that Abbey is just way too annoying to be around a lot unless one is a drama queen, irresponsible and sickly morbid, too. I would love to see some new females introduced (maybe siblings of Troy Lee or Foo Dog) and learn more about the remaining live and undead characters. More, please, Chris!
Addicted fan in NM

Post Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:21 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger
dragon951

Okata's Ending  Reply with quote  

I had a question regarding Okata's character. Earlier in the book, I thought he was described as missing his beloved wife. It seemed odd then that he would choose to extend his life with vampire blood, rather than to pass on and rejoin her. Also, I thought one of Bushido's chief aims is preparation for death, and since he saved Jody not once, but twice, he seemed to be in a good place to die an honorable death. Did I miss a part where his feelings changed?

Also, somewhat off topic (and I believe already mentioned), it seemed weird that Jody slept with Okata (at least that is what I inferred from the chapter that ended with her kissing him and taking off his shirt). This struck me as strange for two reasons: A. She is in love with Tommy, and B. Sex doesn't really sound like the proper etiquette for thanking a stranger who saved your life and bought you clothes. That seemed more like something human, low self esteem Jody would have done that she felt obliged to do. If I got the timeline right, as she was sneaking out of Okata's apartment, she immediately met Tommy and ran up and kissed him without showing any guilt. Again, did I misinterpret something?

Post Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:20 pm   View user's profile Send private message
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: