Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> Politics

Do ya believe in the hereafter?

Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
zendao42

Do ya believe in the hereafter?  Reply with quote  

Then you know what I'm here after! Razz

OK, now that I've dated myself, maybe you'll find this interesting...

Afterlife debate with Christopher Hitchens, Sam Harris, Rabbi David Wolpe and Rabbi Bradley Shavit Artson:

http://www.archive.org/details/AfterlifeDebateWChristopherHitchensSamHarrisRabbiDavidWolpeAnd

Post Fri May 27, 2011 12:47 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
sugarraydodge

I simply cannot accept that all of this (as in humanity, the universe and reality itself) is just some random cosmic fluke. For every new truth we discover about the human body, the Earth, and the universe, a thousand new mysteries emerge. I had been personally struggling with the concept of the afterlife and the possible extinguishing of human consciousness after death for about two years. I had convinced myself that all human consciousness was tied to the living brain, and the prospect of suddenly not existing was terrifying. And its only been in the last month that I have allowed myself to think outside of the box I had put myself in for so long, and the conclusions I've personally reached in the last few weeks have led me to believe that there is so much more going on in the universe that we can't even comprehend it all. But I do know this: individual human consciousness cannot be extinguished. I think it was Joseph Campbell who said "Nothing perishes in the whole universe; it does but vary and renew its form."

...but that's just me.

Post Sat May 28, 2011 8:08 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
Watching The Wheels

SRD, you might like this short story by Asimov, The Last Question, if you haven't already read it.

Post Sat May 28, 2011 3:40 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
lisa

sugarraydodge wrote:
I simply cannot accept that all of this (as in humanity, the universe and reality itself) is just some random cosmic fluke. For every new truth we discover about the human body, the Earth, and the universe, a thousand new mysteries emerge. I had been personally struggling with the concept of the afterlife and the possible extinguishing of human consciousness after death for about two years. I had convinced myself that all human consciousness was tied to the living brain, and the prospect of suddenly not existing was terrifying. And its only been in the last month that I have allowed myself to think outside of the box I had put myself in for so long, and the conclusions I've personally reached in the last few weeks have led me to believe that there is so much more going on in the universe that we can't even comprehend it all. But I do know this: individual human consciousness cannot be extinguished. I think it was Joseph Campbell who said "Nothing perishes in the whole universe; it does but vary and renew its form."

...but that's just me.

In India Atheism is a political theory. That's all.

I happened to know someone who took 70 years of Indian film songs that is about roughly 200 per year, that have 8 songs per movie so we have around 112000 songs that have been put in 200 songs holding MP3s.

According to "scientists" the description they give of DNA if at all something like it exists is that if they walked into a room of 560 CDs containing 112000 of a particular regional Indian film songs then it is a natural random evolved act. The picture of the DNA is a selected complete collection of data and information by someone with an intent.

I need not say more. After all this is a fine group with very good research.

Post Sun May 29, 2011 10:21 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
zendao42

I don't actually have an opinion on this cuz I've never known anybody to come back & tell what happened-
dreams, NDEs & ancient history notwithstanding, have any of you heard from the deceased?

Just curious...

Post Sun May 29, 2011 6:32 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
lisa

It could possibly be at the event of death one suddenly finds oneself standing on the map of one's town like in a game of Scotland Yard. How would you then connect to people who now will be points?

Being inable to communicate does not rule out the possibility of greater things/torments/ scenario existing.

Post Sun May 29, 2011 7:48 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
zendao42

I've also heard it was a Holiday Inn & I really dug that book... Wink

Post Tue May 31, 2011 2:22 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: