Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> So You Wanna Be a Writer?

Time Travel

Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
sollee

Time Travel  Reply with quote  

I'm looking for any references on the use of time travel in non-SciFi stories (such as Time Traveler's Wife or Replay or, heck, even Groundhog Day) - does anyone have any experience writing such a piece (more traditional fiction using time travel as a device but not delving any deeper into the SciFi aspects of it) or have any information on useful resources?

Most of the books and articles I've been able to locate talk far too much about wormholes, vortexes, paradoxes, and time curves to be integrated into my piece (although I suppose they've been useful in understanding the prescribed limitations of the subject). I'm looking more for discussions on devices used to engage in time travel (without a machine), and the easiest way to address inevitable questions (e.g. let's say my protag is transported into the past of a foreign country - can s/he speak only the language there, think in his/her native tongue, understand the locals? I want to answer these questions QUICKLY as they are not especially relevant to the story).

Thanks, writers!

Post Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:20 am   View user's profile Send private message
zendao42

I have a book called A SHORTCUT IN TIME that I don't recall using a machine-
can't tell ya who wrote it cuz it's wedged too far down in my bookcase for easy retrieval...

Anyway, the simplest way to do time travel is in the forward direction, like RIP VAN WINKLE-
going back requires bendy physics & there needs to be some explaining,
even if they just find a device or portal...

Now, if you'd like an accessible, mostly nonfiction take on the subject, try Time: A Traveler's Guide:

http://sprott.physics.wisc.edu/pickover/time1.htm

Post Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:31 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
sollee

zendao42 wrote:
I have a book called A SHORTCUT IN TIME that I don't recall using a machine-
can't tell ya who wrote it cuz it's wedged too far down in my bookcase for easy retrieval...

Anyway, the simplest way to do time travel is in the forward direction, like RIP VAN WINKLE-
going back requires bendy physics & there needs to be some explaining,
even if they just find a device or portal...

Now, if you'd like an accessible, mostly nonfiction take on the subject, try Time: A Traveler's Guide:

http://sprott.physics.wisc.edu/pickover/time1.htm

Two excellent recommendations, thank you!

Post Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:08 am   View user's profile Send private message
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: