Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> So You Wanna Be a Writer?

The Chris Moore Query Letter?

Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

The Chris Moore Query Letter?  Reply with quote  

Mr. Moore,

I've been searching this site for some description of your query letter when you were first trying to find an agent. I've found a few references you've made to it but nothing describing it.

Would you give a little info on what you wrote?

1. Did you try to be funny or business-like, or both?
2. Did you give an extensive two/three paragraph mini-synopsis of the plot, or just a short, one-sentence, tantalizing blurb?
3. Did you say anything about yourself? Not having been published, I don't have much to say.
4. Did you use a hook like all the query letter experts say to use?
5. Just out of curiosity, how many letters did you send out before you signed on with your agent?

Thanks,
JohnR

Post Tue Jun 14, 2005 2:02 pm   
chris
Site Admin

John:

I was pretty business-like and I stuck to the formula. I did one paragraph that was basically, "I have a 100 thousand word manuscropt for which I'm looking for representaton. "I listed the little experience I'd had as a writer, which was mostly ad copy. Then I did three paragraphs about the book, and a final paragraph that gave comparisons to other books in the genre.

I sent out about thirty letters and got three agents, I think, who wanted to read the book. All of them rejected it.

In the end, I got my agent because a friend who worked in TV development read my book and sent it to some agents. A couple of them responded that they liked it and wanted to represent me.

I'm not a good example of how to go about it. I was extraordinarily lucky. I have no idea how long it would have been before I'd gotten an agent through normal channels, but I was already seven months into the process when my friend called me and said she had sent it to some agents. I had just given her the manuscript for a critique.

The hints in the writers' market are usually written by agents or editors, so I'd go with what they say.

Sorry I can't be of more help. I've only ever had to get an agent once. My experience is much more based in writing novels than in marketing them.

Post Tue Jun 14, 2005 4:11 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
JohnR

No, not at all, you've been very helpful.

It seems like the people who get through the agent hunt faster and maybe less painfully are those that can find an inside track.

Even so, getting 3 bites out of 30 letters sent seems like a pretty good percentage to me, even if that didn't turn out to get you an agent.

Your query letter sounds similar to mine except that I tried to inject some humor into it (the experts say the letter should match the tone of the book), besides the business schtick. Probably unprofessional, but I like the way it reads with the lighter tone.

Anyway, some good info. I'll probably just keep sending my letters. Sooner or later, some agent will crack and take me in just to get me to stop sending more letters.

And while I wait for replies, I just may go looking for tv people to hang out with!

Thanks again
John

Post Tue Jun 14, 2005 7:40 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: