Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> Blog Comments

Ego Deflation
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
  Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Klari

Me? Friends with Buffy? Not so much. Not that I don't like her, just don't know her. Wouldn't mind being her friend, but if I were, I'd be the female Zander, I suspect.

Ack!! Kitten trying to attack laptop! NOOOOOOO!!!

Okay, now that I've dealt with technology hating infant felines:

FL, I don't need your crap English ta because I've got my lovely American ta-tas. And you wish you did, too. Cool

Post Thu Jun 23, 2005 9:38 pm   View user's profile Send private message
Ferrit Leggings

Re: ummmm......  Reply with quote  

Anonymous wrote:
What the Sam Hill (American phrasing) does Buffy have to do with "soft, COZY (or cosy, either way, I'm soft, gentle, etc.)? Am I just not up on pop culture?
You, Klari, Buffy, Horby, and Ag are all friends.

Look at rule 7. I broke it. Wink

Klari and I are just having a bit of fun.

Quote:
Klari: Okay, now that I've dealt with technology hating infant felines:

FL, I don't need your crap English ta because I've got my lovely American ta-tas. And you wish you did, too.

Are you a cat lady? You know it isn't healthy to have over 50 cats.

No Ta but if I let my self go physically then I can grow my own ta-ta's. Shocked so there.

HA.

Post Fri Jun 24, 2005 2:54 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Tal

Klari wrote:

FL, I don't need your crap English ta because I've got my lovely American ta-tas. And you wish you did, too. Cool

You win.

Ferrit Leggings wrote:

No Ta but if I let my self go physically then I can grow my own ta-ta's. Shocked so there.

HA.

Dude man-boobs don't even begin to compare. Admit defeat.

Post Fri Jun 24, 2005 5:50 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
FattyFattyPorkFace

Why did I read that as "egg deflation"? I was excited too...

Post Fri Jun 24, 2005 8:41 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
ken
Site Admin

I could be rich!  Reply with quote  

Klari wrote:
Ken,

The answer is, buy another book and have Hornby sign that, then sell the first one on eBay with the whole story in the product description, and of course send out an email to everybody on the board to let them know about the auction before posting the eBay auction.

Um, Hornby sucks. More so because he said that about Chris. But honestly, I read High Fidelity and it just seemed to glorify Peter Pan complexes. I just wasn't interested in reading anything more of his after, and from what I've seen of his stuff made into movies, this type of character seems to be a theme in his work. His writing style didn't inspire me to read any more and I just didn't find much of it funny. He ain't no Chris and he should tremble before the mighty talent of our wonderful AG.

Kind of like that copy of The Collected Stories of Sherlock Holmes, signed by AC Doyle, inscribed to Harry Houdini, that sold for $100K?....

Damn why didn't I think of that.

I must have a Peter Pan complex... I could relate to the main character in High Fidelity more than any character I've ever read. Especially the stuff about programming mix tapes. They are what I've always given my wife for special gifts (along with a real present that costs money for major occasions).

Post Fri Jun 24, 2005 9:52 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ICQ Number
FattyFattyPorkFace

Re: I could be rich!  Reply with quote  

ken wrote:
I must have a Peter Pan complex... I could relate to the main character in High Fidelity more than any character I've ever read. Especially the stuff about programming mix tapes. They are what I've always given my wife for special gifts (along with a real present that costs money for major occasions).

Got to agree with you there, webŁbermeister Ken (official term). I related more than a healthy person should to that guy. I have rarely handed out mix tapes or playlists or CDs for two reasons:

1. I agonise over what to include and how to order it for the best listening
2. There are not many people that I have met who I cared for enough to warrant it

The last time I did it was 12 months ago when my friend went to Australia and asked me for some music to take. It was supposed to be a single CD...I did two. I was very proud as I managed to arrange the tracks such that a song she hated she has come to accept.

This is totally off topic.

I'm rambling. My point? I don't have one but if I did it would be something like, "Woohoo! AG rocks! Fuck yeah!" or maybe a spoof on the "America, fuck yeah!" song from Team America...something like, "Author Guy, fuck yeah!"

Yeah, that's be my point. If I had one.

Post Fri Jun 24, 2005 10:21 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Jillybeans

Re: Hornby  Reply with quote  

ken wrote:
BTW, as the guy who was there...

So I tell Hornby, sign it to Christopher Moore, and tell him the story... about how Chris "signed up to be there" because of Hornby, not realizing what a poor choice of words this was.

It puzzles me when I'm not on here much with some of the threads, but I finally got it. That's going to change when I get my lap top. To pump up your ego a little, Chris, it means a great deal to me when you tell me the stories I put on are good, like the one about my father's death. It makes me think that people actually do like what I tell them, gives me a little more initiative to try that homeless story (and it's not all bad. I've gotten a lot of feedback from friends and family) I'm a little shy or bashful or whatever you want to call it, I don't always say it, but it does mean a lot to me. For that matter some of them even touch me a little and I'm touched enough as it is. When you or anyone responds positively or makes me spit on the screen with laughter to my posts, . So that said, look at it this way, Hornby was embarassed, he certainly WILL remember you and I'll bet you're a great teacher. Enough sucking up to the AG.

The last signing I went to was for Victor Villasenor's "Rain of Gold". Lunch or dinner it was I realized he would remember me when I stumbled and dropped some hot tamales on his head. I wanted to run 30 miles into the Pacific Ocean. I promise if I ever get to one of your signings, I won't do that.

Wade Davis (I knew there was a reason I liked Wade Davis)

Post Fri Jun 24, 2005 10:49 am   View user's profile Send private message
Klari

Okay. Ken, by virtue of the fact that you have a wife, you're not a Peter Pan. You grew up. Just 'cause you identified with the mix tape thing doesn't make you a Peter Pan. The resisting commitment and responsibility while still trying to get yours is what makes a Peter Pan. I related to the mix tape thing and the music stuff in it, it's the only thing that sustained me through reading the damn thing.

FL-I won! I won! Me and my female ta-tas won!

And I don't have 50 cats. We currently have 8 in the house and 4 of them are under the age of 5 weeks and in three weeks we will be down to at least 5, 4 if the orchestra manager of my brother's youth symphony convinces her husband to take a kitten. And these are my mother cat's. One of them has bonded with me so I call her my cat, but really they are all my mother's and when I move out of here (hopefully in a few months) they will all stay with mom unless we let Edie have another litter and then I will take 1 of the kittens. I will never have more than a few cats at a time, I hate cleaning litter boxes.

Post Fri Jun 24, 2005 1:09 pm   View user's profile Send private message
FL

I used to and still do the mix tape thing. It is a hard thing to put together. I have given many of the assistants that I have had a mix. One person misinterpreted it and I ended up getting passionate emails and come-hither looks. These things I donít mind but she was married so I had to break it off before it started. She ended up divorcing and sleeping with a carpenter that was working at a new place she started working at but it wasnít my fault. Other times the mix doesnít work and the person gives you off looks because you put too many contrasting songs together trying to mask your affection. It is a delicate thing. Should you put 36d by the Beautiful South next to Some Girls Are Bigger than Others by The Smiths is an age old question.

I can relate to the muscian in his new book that feels that he hasnít accomplished much with his life. I donít know if you can understand this but it gets tiring having people say that you are so talented and wonder why you are teaching preschool. They mean well but they donít know a fucking thing about anything. You should be a photographer, you should be teaching in public school, you should get your writing published, and you should be painting.

I can understand how Will in About a Boy felt dislocated and had the need to make an impression on someone elseís life. I have had kids come up to me and tell me about something I taught them years ago or them telling off their kindergarten teacher because they already know what they are trying to teach them because I taught it to them. I feel alright then. Part of me says that I am doing ok but then along comes someone and asks why I am not married. I would like to be married but I fuck things up all the time. I may look alright and seem normal but I donít know a thing about socializing and getting along with other people. I end up apologising for saying something that I donít know why pissed someone off and by the time I figure it out, she is gone.

Some may wonder how I can teach a kid to be social and get along with other people and not be able to myself. Well, that is a good question and sometimes I wonder about that. I teach kids to try to be nice, pick up your messes, ask if you need help and listen.

Every reader has, or seems to have, a connection with certain authors. What I like about Chris is his silliness. He is a comedic genius in the realm of Adams. I grew up with Vonnegut and his satire and sarcasm but Hornby gives me a feeling that everything will be ok.

I give you and your tatas a

Ta,

FL

Post Fri Jun 24, 2005 4:12 pm   

On a different note:

The Big O is dead:

Link if you cannot see:
http://www.imagehigh.com/view.php?image_id=723891

Post Sat Jun 25, 2005 4:19 am   
Kilgore

Klari,

You arenít going to bite in my depressing rant about how Hornby changed FLís life. I did think it was a bit Little House on the Prairie. When he was writing it I was sitting up in that head of his feeling quite euphoric. There is nothing like munching on the synapses of a depressed writer, can be sour at times or full of sap but it is still sugar. If you have kids or know any just give them some Kool-Aid mixed with quadruple the potency and it is much the same after the buzz wears off.

The kids sit around in what can only be compared to a Jamaican bobsled team at a victory part for coming in tenth place in a group of ten because for some reason they couldnít get the sled to go over ten miles per hour. I wonder why?

So why it is that depression and the arts mix so well? Chris can you answer this? At art school, including myself, I saw a bunch of artists happy as can be flitting all over like bumblebees in the Queenís garden when they are working on something. but when they take a break they are the equivalent of George Bush struggling with a Green Eggs and Ham. Frustration, anger, sadness abound.

Ta,

BTW: Most of that is true that I wrote, a few posts up, but I was just trying to make you feel bad about pissing on Hornby. Did it work?
Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way.

-KV

Post Sun Jun 26, 2005 4:54 am   View user's profile Send private message
Ferrit Leggings

Kilgore wrote:
Klari,

You arenít going to bite in my depressing rant about how Hornby changed FLís life. I did think it was a bit Little House on the Prairie. When he was writing it I was sitting up in that head of his feeling quite euphoric. There is nothing like munching on the synapses of a depressed writer, can be sour at times or full of sap but it is still sugar. If you have kids or know any just give them some Kool-Aid mixed with quadruple the potency and it is much the same after the buzz wears off.

The kids sit around in what can only be compared to a Jamaican bobsled team at a victory part for coming in tenth place in a group of ten because for some reason they couldnít get the sled to go over ten miles per hour. I wonder why?

So why it is that depression and the arts mix so well? Chris can you answer this? At art school, including myself, I saw a bunch of artists happy as can be flitting all over like bumblebees in the Queenís garden when they are working on something. but when they take a break they are the equivalent of George Bush struggling with a Green Eggs and Ham. Frustration, anger, sadness abound.

Ta,

BTW: Most of that is true that I wrote, a few posts up, but I was just trying to make you feel bad about pissing on Hornby. Did it work?

Why did you do that? I wanted her to feel guilty for a bit longer?

Oh well, You win Klari.

But Hornby is not a wanker.

Post Sun Jun 26, 2005 5:18 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Klari

I just liked the comparison of FL's artistic struggles to Little House on the Prairie. My dad used to mock my mother and I for watching it (I was maybe 8 when it went off the air?). He called it Little House Oh So Dreary. But then you'd come into the room and catch him watching the end of the show and he'd be tearing up because Jack didn't have rabies, or Pa found Laura after she ran away and tried to give herself to God or whatever. And if you said anything to Dad about his falling for the blatant tearjerker he'd choke through the held back tears,"Shut up!"

Should anyone who knows my dad happen along here, I am not his daughter, just someone who appropriated the name. I'm Q. Yeah, that sounds good.

Post Sun Jun 26, 2005 8:24 am   View user's profile Send private message
stazy

mixed tapes....  Reply with quote  

For the record, I love making them. I just have a hard time doing the balance of depressing with chipper. I have no wish to have the recipient of my "gift" sink into a black hole of depression because I was too liberal with the darker tunes.
My question is do people even listen to tapes anymore? Fatty mentioned CDs and when I was carrying my tape walkman, my coworker asked me if I knew the Civil War was over. Does anyone still use tapes or am I revealing myself to still be riding in a horse and buggy arrangement.
Ferrit, I thought your post was very touching and I think that everyone thinks you are just wonderful as you are.

Post Mon Jun 27, 2005 9:25 am   View user's profile Send private message
stazy

All hail the power of the ta-tas.

Post Mon Jun 27, 2005 9:25 am   View user's profile Send private message
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: