Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> So You Wanna Be a Writer?

Agent Feedback ...

Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
knikkki

Agent Feedback ...  Reply with quote  

I got my first really exciting feedback from an agent today. The first six chapters of the book, my main character is alone, and there was little dialog which I knew would be a problem, but wasn't sure how to fix it.

The agent said this:

I find what you wrote interesting but I do have a problem with tense narrative-too much telling and not enough showing. There has to be some interaction with the character(s) to get a true feeling of what it happening. The narrative stretches should be broken up with dialogue or interior monologue to make them more appealing to your reader. Long stretches of narrative get boring no matter how catchy the narrative is. You can start out with this as it is, but into in a page or so, you must do something else. See what you can do and let me look again.

-----

So I fixed it, (suddenly inspired) and sent it back ... and it's BETTER than it was before, and I'm excited because even though it doesn't mean he will read the whole book, he helped me and ... jesus ... he actually read enough of it to comment, and it feels good!

Post Mon Aug 29, 2005 6:22 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
jaandlu

That's way cool. That isn't normal is it? I mean usually they just toss it aside right? I'm not sure but that sounds very encouraging to me Knikkki. Right on for you.

Post Mon Aug 29, 2005 6:26 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: