Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> So You Wanna Be a Writer?

MY EYES HURT

Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Angelique

MY EYES HURT  Reply with quote  

I have been staring at my writing for a very long time trying to edit my many mistakes.

Now I decided NOT to delete the whole thing (if it had been hand-written I would have burnt it by now) since I already posted some; but I am having a hard time editing and moving on.

Any suggestions?

Post Tue Sep 06, 2005 8:39 pm   View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
y

Whenever I get "stuck" like that I usually try to put it down for a while and work on something else.

"Despite everything, I believe that people are really good at heart." - Anne Frank

Post Wed Sep 07, 2005 4:35 am   View user's profile Send private message
palmer

Decide what you're editing it for perhaps, rather than trying to do everything at once.

What stage are you at in your editing...or are you revising?

Check it over for things like plot/character (cuz they're more or less tyhe same thing -- and make sure that they are). Maybe that's enough right there for one or more passes. Then for pace. Then for whatever, leaving things like punctution for the very very last.

Helps me to focus.

Post Wed Sep 07, 2005 9:23 am   View user's profile Send private message
earthshoes

Basically what John said.

If you've finished this very recently, I'd encourage you to put it down for a little while and go write something else. The definition of a "while" depends on you. A week may be enough. A month may not be long enough.

This is what I've finally come to with respect to shorter projects. It may or may not be what works for you and AG may (probably does) have a better suggestion. First, when you do return to your work read it through for plot and major problems. Make notes on a separate page or a notebook or whatever works for you. Go back and fix the problems. Rest. Go back and read it again, this time paying closer attention to word choices and over-all effect. Rest. THEN go back and look for typos and so on. This is a heck of a lot easier than trying to do it all at once.

A more efficient way to do this for longer projects (such as a book) is to print it out on hard copy and go over it the same way, scribbling in the margins or using a notebook, only go back and edit the copy on the computer all at once.

Good luck!

Post Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:55 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
palmer

Basically what Mary said...

Printing it out works really well (or as AG put it: print that mama-jama out...). Things "show up" somehow. Some books recommend changing the type face.

I think of my late fathe, who was a wizard at refinishing furniture.

First, he used a really coarse grade of sandpaper, and then finer and finer grades.

Sculptors probably do something really similar. They chisel out a rough shape and then go for more and more detail. Other analogies probably occur to you... A series of approximations.

Personally, I can't imagine doing it all at once, although I understand that Mozart did. (Of course, he was probably an alien.)

Post Wed Sep 07, 2005 4:39 pm   View user's profile Send private message
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: