Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> So You Wanna Be a Writer?

Posting my novel?
Goto page Previous  1, 2
  Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Ginjg

funbagz wrote:
In my book, I also give little hints to what the climax will be, like the narrator going on and on in detail about things he couldn't know about. Or like this line "...dragged towards the car and thrown in extra hard as part of my payment for shooting a fellow officer's ear off. I could have done alot worse to that cop than just shooting off his ear; in another time, when I was a different person I did do alot worse." Do you think that is too easy a hint? Do you think most people would figure out the climax with that line?

It could be just because I almost always figure these types of stories out very early on, but, umm… just a wild guess. The narrator is the protagonist?

~~~~~~~

Why should we bother with immortality when we are eternal?

Post Sun Jul 10, 2005 10:00 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
Regina

I don't think so, but I haven't read the book.

I think the best thing to do for these kinds of specific questions is draw up a list, and ask them of people who you can trust to share the whole manuscript with. It's kind of difficult to make comments that might be helpful without seeing what you want to know about in context. I know its hard to wait for feedback when you are excited about it, but it really is the best way to do it.

Does that make sense?

That doesn't sound snotty does it?

Post Sun Jul 10, 2005 10:07 am   View user's profile Send private message
jaandlu

Regina I don't know why you have to be such a snot. Razz

Funbagz I'm sure your syle isn't a manic as this synopsis. In fact you might consider refining your synopsis. But it sounds like you have some good ideas going there. I'll be looking forward to reading the first few chapters if you post them here. Keep us updated. Smile

Ja

Post Sun Jul 10, 2005 10:46 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
funbagz

To answer Ginjg's question, yes the narrator is the protagonist, yes my novel is in first person. Sorry I didn't tie that together, but I was getting tired after my condensed version of my novel of always calling him the protagonist.

Post Sun Jul 10, 2005 12:47 pm   View user's profile Send private message
chris
Site Admin

Lauren wrote:
Don't post more than your first three chapters - anything over that is considered first serial rights, or first electronic rights, or one of those phrases that will come to me after the coffee kicks in. And actually, with a length of 60,000 words, I'd say don't post more than one or two chapters (I haven't made my way down the list to the fan fiction forum yet, so you may already have done this).

60,000 words is about young adult novel length, I believe. CM can give you a better idea of how many words are in his books, but I'd peg BS fiends at around 150,000 and Lamb at 250,000. (Am I even close, Chris?)

The copyright is yours the moment you set words down on a screen. When a publisher buys the book, they'll go ahead and formally register the copyright for you, but you don't have to pay to have it done. You can copy and paste what Gingj put there if you post it.

Fiends is about 90,000, Lamb is about 150,000. Stupidest Angel is the shortest at around 60,000, a necessity due to the small form factor of the book.

Post Sun Jul 10, 2005 2:08 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Goudron

chris wrote:
Lauren wrote:
60,000 words is about young adult novel length, I believe. CM can give you a better idea of how many words are in his books, but I'd peg BS fiends at around 150,000 and Lamb at 250,000. (Am I even close, Chris?)

Fiends is about 90,000, Lamb is about 150,000. Stupidest Angel is the shortest at around 60,000, a necessity due to the small form factor of the book.

The proportions are close, Lauren. You must have read the "Directors" cuts. Where can I get my hands on those??

Post Sun Jul 10, 2005 3:49 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Taco Bob

I know it's been said before....  Reply with quote  

You might try a writer's workshop. There's several on the net. I've learned as much from critting other folk's stuff as from the comments I get on my own subs. You'll likely get a wide range of responses to weed through, and it's hard work sometimes to crit others, but you'll likely learn a lot about your own work and about writing in general.

Post Sun Jul 10, 2005 4:51 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Lauren

Heh. Wow, I was way off. <insert witty ass-kissing comment about the Author Guy's books being huge in my mind, only make it funny>

Post Sun Jul 10, 2005 10:31 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number
jaandlu

You weren't that far off Lauren. I'd have missed by a mile had I guessed.

Oh wait I forgot what you do. Yeah Lauren, you were way off. Wink

Post Mon Jul 11, 2005 12:01 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
funbagz

Self-Doubt: the silent killer  Reply with quote  

I'm pretty sure this happens to most writers, but it doesn't mean self-doubt can't completely destroy a writer's career (even a non-published writer).

Writing has become my salvation, but I'm starting to question if I am any good. And compared to alot of the people here my work takes alot longer than most, and what comes out is not nearly as good. I know I don't have the experience of the writers I'm comparing myself to on this site, but who said self-doubt had to be rational?

Does anyone have any solutions for my potentially disastrous problem?

Post Wed Jul 13, 2005 6:28 pm   View user's profile Send private message
jaandlu

Re: Self-Doubt: the silent killer  Reply with quote  

funbagz wrote:
I'm pretty sure this happens to most writers, but it doesn't mean self-doubt can't completely destroy a writer's career (even a non-published writer).

Writing has become my salvation, but I'm starting to question if I am any good. And compared to alot of the people here my work takes alot longer than most, and what comes out is not nearly as good. I know I don't have the experience of the writers I'm comparing myself to on this site, but who said self-doubt had to be rational?

Does anyone have any solutions for my potentially disastrous problem?

I've got a suggestion, screw self doubt. Just write. Write, write, write. Who cares what the outcome is. Writing is'nt a choice of profession, it's a way of living.

Ja

Post Wed Jul 13, 2005 9:24 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Lisa M

Interesting concept, funbagz. It is very noir. Good luck! Don't worry about length. It will be as long as it needs to be.

Post Thu Aug 11, 2005 7:42 am   View user's profile Send private message
jaandlu

I read this yesterday and thought you might be interested FB.

http://www.snopes.com/legal/postmark.asp

That whole mailing it to yourself for the poor mans copyright is just a myth. Won't hold up in court. But this artical gives some links that are really useful.

Ja

Post Thu Aug 11, 2005 8:36 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Kate R

No kidding, about the writers on this site being good. They are, so I'm sure you are too in a way that might not be readily apparent to you (because it's you, and starting in puberty we all have a tendency to be our own worst critics.) Anyway, I have some books that are 50,000-60,000 words for you:
The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger
Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck

And they made us read those in high school! Enjoy yourself and have fun. I'm in the middle of writing a really crappy novel myself, which is the first thing that I've written...well, ever, so it's assured to be really crappy, but it is fun!

Post Mon Sep 19, 2005 1:49 pm   
jaandlu

Kate R wrote:
I'm in the middle of writing a really crappy novel myself, which is the first thing that I've written...well, ever, so it's assured to be really crappy, but it is fun!

I think that right there is the key. If you're having fun who cares. It's just good to be creative.

Post Mon Sep 19, 2005 1:57 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: