Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> News and Noise

Dialects made easy

What was your favorite dialect?
Redneck
15%
 15%  [ 2 ]
Jive
23%
 23%  [ 3 ]
Cockney
23%
 23%  [ 3 ]
Elmer Fudd
7%
 7%  [ 1 ]
Swedish Chef
15%
 15%  [ 2 ]
Moron
7%
 7%  [ 1 ]
Pig Latin
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Hacker
7%
 7%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 13

Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
sgt_steve

Dialects made easy  Reply with quote  

Here's a fun one. Open another window in your browser, and in that window go to: http://rinkworks.com/dialect/

Go down to "Dialectize a Web Page" and choose the dialect of your choice - jive, valley girl, elmer fudd, whatever. Then paste this URL into the window

//bbs.chrismoore.com/viewtopic.php?t=4352&highlight=
(note they supply the "http:" for you) and click the "Dialectize!" button.

Read. And laugh.

For extra credit, figure out how to 'stack' dialects - ie, take a web page that you translate to jive and then the jive to elmer fudd.

Post Mon Sep 26, 2005 7:36 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
sgt_steve

As an example, here's Palmers opening bit from the URL above translated to jive:
Quote:
scribble some poem about sgt_steve

Fo' winnin' de "scribble some poem about Hillary" contest, sgt_steve wins de privilege uh havin' poems written about him .

Let da damn entries begin! Right on!

Post Mon Sep 26, 2005 7:38 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Lukaret

Location: ... Hell. No wait... make that GP, Texas, that's about the same thing.

Chatting is fun. *votes for hacker*

Facebook Me!

I have a Twitter too.

Slowly returning from the hell pit that is college. I hope. D:

Post Mon Sep 26, 2005 7:39 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
jaandlu

That's a great site Sgt Steve. You should add it to the references in So You Wanna Be A Writer area.

Post Mon Sep 26, 2005 7:54 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
ken
Site Admin

sgt stefe-a, sgt stefe-a
nu metter hoo mooch yuoo keeck heem
yuoo cun't get heem tu leefe-a

Ya, you betcha.

Post Tue Sep 27, 2005 7:13 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ICQ Number
Katy O

There used to be one where you could "Jesus-ify" a site. It was fun to make your company's site religious. I guess, unless you work for a religious company and then it wouldn't be nearly as much fun.

Post Tue Sep 27, 2005 9:02 am   View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: