Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> So You Wanna Be a Writer?

Dungeons and Dragons ... research.
Goto page Previous  1, 2
  Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Boota

Excellent advice, Ken! Knikkki, A couple issues of Knights of the Dinner Table will tell you all need to know about roleplaying and the roleplaying "lifestyle" to write whatever you need.

Post Thu Jul 07, 2005 6:14 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Thom

My two cents, since I actually write the things (not D&D, but Horror genre rpgs).

For some rants about bad role-playing, go to http://albruno3.tripod.com/ab3frameset-1.htm
and scroll down to the rpg.net rants, they're pretty funny. Another way to get a taste of what it is all about is to go to a science fiction convention or your local gaming store and sit in on a demo game.

Role-playing is mostly about genre simulation these days. D&D started with Fantasy, then came Traveler doing science fiction and Champions doing superheroes. Horror is one of the more popular genres these days, White Wolf is a lot like Anne Rice horror, Unknown Armies is more like Clive BArker and Tim Powers, and WithCraft is like Stephen King (except the bits I write, which are more like Neil Gaiman).

D&D grew out of war gaming, which has been arounf forever (chess is just a highly abstracted war game). When Lord of the Rings got popular in the sixties and seventies, war gamers started running fantasy battles instead of historical ones. One of the things about battles in fantasy literature is that there is always a hero who turns the tide of battle. So they came up with rules for running a powrful hero or wizard. This slowly mutated into dungeons and dragons.

In the early years, it was basically like playing a video game. You get points by killing things and take gold to buy stuff. It wasn't until people started to make choices based on what their characters would do that the hobby grew beyond its hack and slash roots to actual role-playing.

Interesting sidenote, Gary Gygax used to be pissed about all these "role-players" who were playing his game wrong by injecting personality and improv into what should have just been monster killin'.

Role-playing can be about anything. Over The Edge was a game that was all about surrealism and high weirdness. It was like the William S Burroughs rpg. Dungeons and Dragons started as a hodge podge of popular fantasy, Lord of the Rings mushed with Conan with a bit of Michael Moorcock thrown in. You can get the gist of what they were trying for by watching Lord of the Rings or Conan. You can get the gist of what it actually is by watching Krull or Hawk the Slayer.

Seriously. Hawk the Slayer will teach you all sorts of things about Dungeons and Dragons.

That being said, while D&D was the first, it ain't all there is to role-playing and the hobby has moved way beyond it's roots. White Wolf's games (Vampire the Masquarade and such) are just as popular if not more so, and most female gamers are more likely to be playing that (though lots of woman play D&D as well, espeacially in this city)

Just some added info, hope it helps.

Thom Marrion

Post Mon Aug 22, 2005 8:22 pm   View user's profile Send private message
conspiracies unlimited

Thom,

How in gods name will those movies help understand D&D???

They are just fantasy movies... beyond that, I see NO connection... help me out here...
It's time to separate the awkwardly feminine from the possibly canadian

Post Wed Sep 14, 2005 3:50 pm   View user's profile Send private message
oatmeal

i've been a role player since jr high (bout 23 years-good lord)
but i'm new to the whole online thing
could yous guys answer some questions for me?
1. Is it played on a message board like this?
2. are the die rolls based on the honor system?
3. is there a program or download that makes it easy for the dm-gm to make maps and such?

Post Sun Sep 25, 2005 3:29 am   View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Thom

Quote:
Thom,

How in gods name will those movies help understand D&D???

They are just fantasy movies... beyond that, I see NO connection... help me out here...

Because they are more like D&D than the D&D Movie was, they summed up how most adventures run. If you thrown in some tavern wenches and arguments about who killed what, along with a lot ogf Mountain Dew, then you have a typical D&D game.

Post Thu Sep 29, 2005 7:18 am   View user's profile Send private message
Goudron

Last Friday night I saw a 2005 D&D movie on SciFi. Must have been made for SciFi specifically, because I'm sure it never went to theatres. It was deliciously cheesey, but it captured the gist of what average RPG'ers might be trying to create in their heads during a campaign.

The highlight was the name of the main evil guy, "Lord Damodar." It reminded me of the Muppets song whenever they said it

He's Damodar
noo nooo noonoonoo
He's Damodar
noo nooo noonoo

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0406728/

Hmm I guess "Damodar" is a hold over from teh first movie that I didn't think was as good, but had a bigger budget I'm sure.

Post Sun Oct 09, 2005 8:34 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Goudron

Sorry for re-animating this thread again, but I just found another wealth of information. It's for the upcoming MMORPG D&D Online, but there's plenty of reference material and lots of RPGeeks to study:

http://www.ddo.com/forums/

Post Thu Oct 13, 2005 7:31 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: