Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> So You Wanna Be a Writer?

for the song writers and poets among us:

Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Ginjg

for the song writers and poets among us:  Reply with quote  

I had the opportunity to sit in on Pat Pattison's Songwriting seminar for L.A. area Berklee Alumni and guests last night.

I learned an amazing amount of useful information about song and verse structure, rhyme structure, prosody and how they work together to make a song or poem more evocative.

Pat is the songwriting professor at Berklee College of Music and has a great Website Pat Pattison with useful articles about the art of songwriting - click on the "Lyric Tips" link. Check the site out. He also designed the Berklee College Online Songwriting Courses.

By the way, the Annual Taxi Road Rally, the songwriters convention, held here in L.A. ended yesterday. The three days of panels, mentoring, and seminars offered were really valuable and the oportunities to hear the work of songwriters of all genres at the open mike sessions were quite a treat. Everyone came - A metal rock band fron Ann Arbor MI, pierced and studded M&M colored hair Punkers, R&B, Urban, Country, Christian, Rock and Pop Songwriters from as far as Sweden and Australia, all gathered to discuss the craft and business of songwriting.

~~~~~~~

Why should we bother with immortality when we are eternal?

Post Mon Nov 07, 2005 2:28 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
Boota

That would have been something I would have liked to have attended. Of course I'd go there and find out I've been doing it all wrong for 20 years. LOL.

Post Mon Nov 07, 2005 3:02 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Ginjg

not wrong, possibly differently and possibly you've benn doing them all along.
And you might find a way to resurrect a half written song that just wouldn't fall right or refresh an old song that needs litlle tweak.

Pat's thought is you can do it accidentally or use the tools conciously to make your songs as powerful as possible.

~~~~~~~

Why should we bother with immortality when we are eternal?

Post Mon Nov 07, 2005 3:12 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
Kate R

As an aside, if you ever get the opportunity to hear a band called Zamboni from Kalamazoo, do it! They're a hoot. The Ann Arbor thing made me think of that. Anyway, brilliant songwriters, carry on.

Post Mon Nov 07, 2005 8:20 pm   View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Boota

Ginjg wrote:
not wrong, possibly differently and possibly you've benn doing them all along.
And you might find a way to resurrect a half written song that just wouldn't fall right or refresh an old song that needs litlle tweak.

Pat's thought is you can do it accidentally or use the tools conciously to make your songs as powerful as possible.

I wouldn't be surprised to find out that I was doing most things the "right" way. Whatever way it is, though, it works for me. I'm always looking out for ideas that help me with the things I'm interested in. Some ideas I discard out of hand, some I take to heart, but most I cannibalize and make it work for me. That's what I would get the most from out of a workshop like that.

Post Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:37 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: