Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> So You Wanna Be a Writer?

Question about titles.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
  Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Boota

I know it sounds like it's probably a good idea to change the title, but in the past I tend to succeed when I don't second guess myself. That's the problem for now. The album that made the Grammy ballot is the filthiest thing we ever wrote. I never expected it to go anywhere and now it's getting airplay and quite a bit of media attention. I'm weighing the pros and cons of good attention versus bad attention.

My thinking on the title is to have a real catchy back cover blurb. That way when someone is pissed off/offended and they pick it up in order to fuel more anger they can go, "Oh, well that sounds like a good read." If you get someone to pick it up that's the first half of the battle. The trick here is going to be to get them to pick it up and not throw it at me.

Post Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:59 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Kate R

Oh. Well there you go then. Anyway, congratulations on the Grammy thing. You lead such an artful life as not just a musician, but a writer as well. AND you really seem to understand people, because I definately would've picked it up and read the back jacket to fan the flames of my outrage. Just try not to use your powers for evil. Twisted Evil

Post Wed Nov 16, 2005 1:27 pm   View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Boota

Thank you about the Grammy thing. Smile It's starting to get really exciting around here. I call radio stations and newspapers for press and airplay now and they will actually talk to me. LOL. It's kind of cool.

I think I do understand people pretty well. There are going to be three basic reactions to the title of Picking On Retards. A small percentage will look and not pick it up out of principle. The remainder will likely split about even between those who pick it up to fan the flames of outrage and those who pick it up out of genuine interest in a shocking title. One of the reasons I understand people is that I know that there are really only two kinds of people in this world. Creeps and assholes. Some people may not know which one they are. One is no better than the other, but it does color the way you look at life. Usually, though, assholes know they are assholes and kind of proud of it. If you don't know which one you are, here is a test. Your reaction to this joke will let you know which you are.

A father is pacing in the waiting room of a hospital. He is waiting for his wife to deliver their thirteenth baby. Each of the twelve children before had some kind of horrible birth defect and now here is unlucky thirteen. He is hoping against hope that all will be well.

Finally, the doctor comes out and meets the man. "Sir, I have bad news and worse news. You see..."

The man interrupts the doctor. "Don't say anything! Just take me to see my wife!"

The doctor nods in agreement and leads the man through the doors and back to the delivery room. In the room the man sees his wife cradling a large blue bundle in her arms. He is shocked. Everything appears to be perfectly fine. The man turns to the doctor, puzzled. "What's the bad news?"

The doctor walks over and pulls back the blue blanket and the man sees that his wife is cradling what is simply one giant eyeball. He is overcome with a brand new feeling of shock. "Oh my God! What could be worse news than this?"

The doctor puts his hand on the man's shoulder and says, "He's blind."

Now, here's how to tell if you're a creep or an asshole. An asshole, like me, will immediately burst out laughing. A creep will groan, and maybe stifle a small guilty laugh.

I think I can have the asshole demographic wrapped up. And I'm pretty sure I can win over a large percentage of the creeps, too. Smile

Post Fri Nov 18, 2005 7:41 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Vahlee

Seems like I'm an asshole too, hehe

http://www.upnorthgeorgia.org

Post Fri Nov 18, 2005 7:57 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Kate R

Damn it, I'm a creep. I should just embrace it and turn full-blown asshole. I'd be in good company.

Post Fri Nov 18, 2005 8:54 am   View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Boota

Being an asshole can be very entertaining. I'm in a band with three other assholes and we have a great time.

Kate R, come to the dark side. I's cool over here. Smile

Post Fri Nov 18, 2005 4:10 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Kate R

Hahahaha - the dark side? Made me think of Star Wars. Just call me Darth Kate. (Yes, I guess I'm a dork as well as a creep.)

Post Fri Nov 18, 2005 5:08 pm   View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
sgt_steve

Hell, I coulda told ya I was an asshole.

Post Fri Nov 18, 2005 5:55 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Ginjg

I am a darkside diva!

~~~~~~~

Why should we bother with immortality when we are eternal?

Post Fri Nov 18, 2005 8:07 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
Boota

gracie wrote:
it then comes down to what you want more. your book read by folks who 'get' the title or your book read by the widest spectrum of folks you can reach. I would imagine the message in the book is more important that the humor of the title. (someone I loved very much was retarded, anyone picked on him had to go through me)

I don't know if I want to weaken the title to appeal to more people. And I may not have to. I'll burn that bridge when I get to it. Part of the message of a book to me is the title. Actually, it's the first message. This is probably something I'll wrestle with right up to the last minute.

I'll give a little background on the story. For those who have read Mr. Undesirable, the star of Picking On Retards is Butchie, the bouncer from Gazonga's. It takes place in 1988 when Butchie was still known as Butcher Blake, the high school football star. One day Butcher is caught picking on Ethan, a small retarded boy, in the hall at school. Due to Butcher being the big star they don't kick him off the team, but the coach makes a deal with him. Butcher is to look out for Ethan for the rest of the football season. If anything happens to Ethan then Butcher is off the team. Being saddled with Ethan cramps the style of the other local football heroes and turns the rest of the team against Butcher. That is where the story takes off.

sgt. steve, most of us assholes don't really need the test. We know it and we're proud of it. Smile

Post Fri Nov 18, 2005 10:34 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
jaandlu

First off, I am an asshole. But I knew that. Secondly, now I really can't wait for your book to come out, no matter what it is titled. I think the title is more your style, Boota, but I also would like you to be more recognized as an author. For that reason alone I would say you should change the title. Or maybe pull a Vonnegut and call it one thing on the cover and then add a second title page calling saying "or Picking on Retards." You could call it "Butchies Burden... or Picking on Retards." Just a suggestion; probably a bad one. Wait, here's a suggestion; how about "You can know the title after you have read my book. Don't be a pansy, buy my book." Then make them email you for the title. Or maybe, "Picking on Retards. You're a prejudging fucktard if you think this book is going to be offensive." Wait this one is the best; Picking on Retardsand what happened to Butchie when he did.

Okay, if you need anymore really bad suggestion's just ask.

Post Sat Nov 19, 2005 1:44 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Boota

Ja, not a bad suggestion at all. Butchie's Burden kind of works for me. I've also considered going with Picking On Ethan. They don't have the same punch as Picking On Retards as a title, but they are infinitely more accessible.

Post Sun Nov 20, 2005 12:03 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Kate R

Oh I love the name Ethan. Picking on Ethan is a good title.

Post Sun Nov 20, 2005 12:11 pm   View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Boota

I thought long and hard about the name of the retarded character. I wanted it to be something that couldn't be cutesied up with an ie or a y on the end of it. Ethan just sounds, to me, like it has a measure of nobility. The other thing is that Butcher starts being called Butchie by Ethan and I think that is an interesting switch. The smart guy has a name that you would think would be the name of the retarded guy.

Post Sun Nov 20, 2005 12:46 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Kate R

You're right. Ethan can't be cutsied up. There was this autistic kid that went to school with me, and everyone called him Billy, but he would correct them and say, "Bill." It's easy to add the diminutive. Ethie doesn't really roll off the tongue quite as well.

Boota, I really want to read this book now, so how long until you're done with it? It's really soon, right? Keep us posted!

Post Sun Nov 20, 2005 1:20 pm   View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: