Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> Blog Comments

Go Go Google.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
  Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Klari

knikkki wrote:

But who wants to curl up with a good laptop?

My cat does!!!

However, I can't seem to post the pic. I guess it's one of those has to be posted on the web things and I only have it on my 'puter. I swear, the Siamese kitten we kept is just like his mother and absolutely loves laptops. It's the warmth, I know.

Post Tue Dec 06, 2005 10:57 pm   View user's profile Send private message
kimcookie

I have always been suspicious of the Hummer slogan, "Like Nothing Else." What about for the ladies, though? Hmm. Well, I DO have a lot of friends who love the Mini-Cooper, so I guess that...now that's a terrifying image.
And as for Bush and Google, come on now, who hasn't yet searched "failure" and giggled at the first (and second...) hits? Google is a weapon without loyalty.

Post Wed Dec 07, 2005 2:46 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
chris
Site Admin

You know, I'm not really that worried about my books getting stolen by Google hackers. I mean, I really hope that it doesn't happen, but I'm not freaked about it. Most authors I know couldn't weather the hit they'd take if books got Napsterized, myself included. Unlike musicians, we can't perform live and make a living. The material we create is our income.

But again, let me make it clear, I'm not worried about Google as a Big Brother, or I'm certainly not too worried. I was just sort of chagrined that they had access to something that I didn't, and that I wasn't willing to hassle with finding. I was writing more for the humorous effect of it. I was having dinner with friends this evening, and made a comment about The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock, which my friend, who is a songwriter, had never read. Now, I know that somewhere upstairs in my bookshelf, I have a copy of The Wasteland and other Poems by T.S. Elliot, and I could have gone to get it. But we have a computer in the kitchen, and literally twenty seconds later we were reading the poem because of Google.

That is so cool.

I've actually done that with music before. I've downloaded stuff that I know I have in CD or vinyl because it's faster than finding it in the real world. Now, if they can tell which box my U2 CDs are in, then it'll be good.

Post Wed Dec 07, 2005 3:05 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Sara Leigh

It would be nice if Google could tell me where I put some old family pictures about 10 years ago. I got prints made for everyone, then I put the originals in a nice safe place. Problem is, it was so safe, I've never been able to find them again.

Post Wed Dec 07, 2005 9:56 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
deb

Hall closet, top shelf, shoe box.

Post Wed Dec 07, 2005 10:06 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Tal

deb wrote:
Hall closet, top shelf, shoe box.

*looks*

Oh my. I didn't know you took THOSE kind of pictures. Shocked

You look great by the way. Wink

Post Wed Dec 07, 2005 10:23 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website

I Googled my name and the only thing that came up was a Tennis coach, an artist, and a minister of congregational care.

Does this mean I haven't accomplished more in life than these people?

I must really suck.

Don't get me wrong, a minister of congrecational care is pretty important stuff, but still.

Post Wed Dec 07, 2005 12:01 pm   
jaandlu

Really? I Googled Guest and 261,000,000 different things came up.

Post Wed Dec 07, 2005 1:30 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
pebbles

I googed myself once and found out that I was under indictment for perjury committed at my boyfriend's triple-homicide trial in a state I've never been to.

Good info to have. Just one more reason to steer clear of a red state.

Post Wed Dec 07, 2005 4:07 pm   View user's profile Send private message
chris
Site Admin

pebbles wrote:
I googed myself once and found out that I was under indictment for perjury committed at my boyfriend's triple-homicide trial in a state I've never been to.

Good info to have. Just one more reason to steer clear of a red state.

I thought that was you.

Post Wed Dec 07, 2005 4:18 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Klari

Those safe places will get you every time. I've lost more things to "safe" places. My mom still owes me a butterfly pin she got me for Christmas two years ago that she put in a "safe" place. The frustrating thing is I wanted to buy it when I found it but she said,"No, don't get it, I need something for your stocking." Butterflys are so two years ago, so I guess I ought to give up on it.

And I know I put my Crystal Barbie Doll in a "safe place" when I was nine. I'd only had her a few weeks and was so happy I'd not lost any of her jewelry or shoes (wow, should have known my career aspirations back then). And I haven't found her since, even though the last place I remember seeing her has been part of major cleaning and discarding operations since and I know my mother would have exclaimed, "Oh my God, it's your Crystal Barbie Doll, I told you I didn't throw her out." My mom hated Barbie, tried to bar me from having one but she finally gave into the inevitable when my grandmother pointed out that my mother had had them as a kid. God, my grandma was cool.

Girls' version of the Hummer would have to be the new Bug. But they'd have to offer it in better colors. Buttercup yellow, lime, black and silver are all gettiing a little old. I'm waiting for plum purple or teal. Or a better green. They are fun to drive and with the vase and stuff, well, you just have to add a very specialized vibrator and you've got the perfect girls car.

Post Wed Dec 07, 2005 4:36 pm   View user's profile Send private message
Vahlee

When I google my name...well, my website pops up and that's it. I guess I can't expect too much whenthere's only like 10 people in the world with my last name, hehe.

http://www.upnorthgeorgia.org

Post Wed Dec 07, 2005 4:36 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Bigdamdork

Not only do I not come on a Google search, I posted myself as a guest.

I really am having an identity crisis today.

I'll never break 10 posts at this rate.

Post Wed Dec 07, 2005 5:21 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
FattyFattyPorkFace

I just googled me. Me as in FattyFattyPorkFace. I got 3 hits! I've never had google hits before. If I use my real name, it just comes up with tons of people who aren't me...but there is only one FattyFattyPorkFace...and I get googled. Yay!

Post Wed Dec 07, 2005 5:35 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
sgt_steve

Google "Steve Simmons" (with quotes) and two of the top four hits are me.

Google is a symptom, not a cause. There was Alta Vista before it, and will be something else after it. The world is getting to be a much less private place, and we may as well deal with that rather than lament it.

Obligatory book reference(s): Earth by David Brin. It neatly anticipates what's happening and examines what it would be like carried to the logical (but extreme) end.

Post Wed Dec 07, 2005 6:38 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: