Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> Blog Comments

chris's 100th post
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
  Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
chris
Site Admin

conspiracies unlimited wrote:
Uber is such an under-used term...

Well, in Germany it is.

Post Tue Nov 29, 2005 3:17 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Kianu

Ginjg wrote:
ROTFLMAO = Roll On The Floor Laughing My Ass Off

Ah ha! Shank you!

Post Tue Nov 29, 2005 3:28 pm   View user's profile Send private message
conspiracies unlimited

Kianu wrote:
Ginjg wrote:
ROTFLMAO = Roll On The Floor Laughing My Ass Off

Ah ha! Shank you!

Oh great, she's gonna knife us now... Guards!!! Guards!!!
It's time to separate the awkwardly feminine from the possibly canadian

Post Thu Dec 01, 2005 12:16 pm   View user's profile Send private message
Kianu

Never a knife. Needles, for sure, but no knives.

Post Thu Dec 01, 2005 1:13 pm   View user's profile Send private message
Kamala

I personally really like the word "bitch"... I mean, if the shoe fits. Imagine how horrible it would be to be perma-nineteen and male...geeezz... how awkward. It reminds me of the scene in BSF where Jody realizes, much to her horror, that now that she's immortal and all she'll never lose those "five pounds". Not that I speak from experience, but there has got to be a sense melencholy that settles over you upon waking from the big vampire transformation when you realize you are now all you will ever be and can aspire to no more....

Post Tue Dec 06, 2005 7:51 pm   View user's profile Send private message
Genesis

chris wrote:
conspiracies unlimited wrote:
Uber is such an under-used term...

Well, in Germany it is.

Jup jup, over here, it's an ordinary word. (Although it was somewhat of a popular word to attach to virtually anything back in the 80ies)
In German it's über by the way, but, as with so many words, american keyboards kinda banned the umlaut. Quite funny to read those words when you're a native speaker. I laughed my head off when I read about "Ubersoldaten" in Return to Castle Wolfenstein, you just would never use that term in German.
But I think when it comes to importing foreign words, sacrifices have to be made. (Leitmotif is Leitmotiv in german, btw)
Works well the other way round, too. English somewhat invaded the german language and sometimes I simply am amazed what they made out of it. At some event (some expo or so) they were selling rucksacks (another German word), titled "Body Bags"

Post Sun Dec 11, 2005 2:59 am   View user's profile Send private message ICQ Number
Genesis

Man, I feel like when I was a little child. You know, like when you reeeeeally want something you perfectly well know you won't get for quite a long time... Like BSF2! I want it, I want it, I want it NOW.
But anyways, I (like many others before me) didn't really realize the shifts of POV, though I remembered them when reading the comment. They simply didn't bother me as I felt so familiar with both the characters.
About the spooge-thingie: I didn't know the word, due to my lack of colloquial vocabulary (they still don't teach us how to swear properly in school and even 10 years of Google and co can bring you only so far), but even though it made perfect sense to me. Imho it has the effect of an onomatopoeia, although it might not really be one.

I also am considering of ordering the american version of BSF to shorten the wait for U Suck. I already have the German translation (had to buy it at eBay, as it is (can you believe?!?) out of print over here) but the BSF2 teaser gave me the feeling that the translation mutilated quite some of the jokes including colloquial language.

Oh and PLEASE somehow check that they don't sense-rape the title again! It's such a pain in the ass comparing original and translation, seeing how they change Lamb to "The bible according to Biff" or Island of the Sequined Love Nun to "The Sky Goddess" (yeah, they changed priestess to goddess in the whole book) and stripping all the titles of their subtitles. Compare to some changes, the conversion of BSF to "Long teeth" seems quite sensible.

Post Sun Dec 11, 2005 3:56 am   View user's profile Send private message ICQ Number
Wendy

Hey, Genesis!

I'm not exactly a fellow German, but Austrian, which is close enough. I agree with you 100 per cent on the whole title changing thing. Which is why I didn't even start buying the books in German - most of them are oop anyway *rolls eyes*

As for the über-conversation: I love it when German words are used in English. Because for us, it always has a funny sound to it. Like when someone mentions a poltergeist or schadenfreude (interesting, btw, that there is no English word for that - are we German speaking folks really that evil?) and I remember that time when Ross and Rachel did their laundry toghether and he brought this new detergent - Überweiß, I think it was called. That was hilarious.

So go on using our words, we use (and abuse) yours all the time.

Post Tue Dec 13, 2005 7:24 am   View user's profile Send private message
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: