Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> Who's Who

Confederacy of Dunces - anyone ever read this?

Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
the evil shannon b

Confederacy of Dunces - anyone ever read this?  Reply with quote  

yo,

anyone ever read this book? i've got it on a wish list at amazon, but would like to know your thoughts before i force it into my existence.

good/bad/indifferent?

thoughts please?

it's weird how i first heard about this book. i have a friend who looks EXACTLY like John Kennedy Toole, the author of the book (who committed suicide, by the way, by shoving a garden hose in his exhaust pipe, kickin back, and revving the engine. this is all due to the fact that simon & schuster rejected his book. only to win the pulitzer prize posthumously. now how's THAT for irony, hmmm?)

my friend found he was an evil twin after a girl at work noticed the back of her book jacket and saw the authors face at the the same time she was talking to my friend...

anyhoo, to make it even more twylight zone, John Kennedy Tool committed suicide in 1969, the same year my friend was born...

so - did anyone read this tome? i hear it be damn good!

---

"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell!"
- Bruce Dickinson

Post Thu Oct 28, 2004 8:10 pm   View user's profile Send private message
Dave S.

Excellent book! It's been a long while since I've read it, so I can't give you any major insights as to why it's so good, but I can say that I laughed alot throughout the book and I remember it being one of the most unique novels I've ever read. I recommend it highly.

By the way, cool avatar and Spinal Tap quote! That's my favorite line in the film.

Post Fri Oct 29, 2004 5:31 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website

thanks, Dave - I will get it this weekend!

your avatar rox! that's the BEST on in the whole Will Farrell best of - I still laugh my a off whenever i see it Smile

Post Fri Oct 29, 2004 6:11 am   
JennyO

I hated A Confederacy of Dunces. I've tried to read it three times now, and never made it past page 150 or so. I understand why so many people love it - the dialgoue is sharp, New Orleans is so well drawn it seems as much a character as Ignatius, the characters are unique and vivid - but I despised the main character so much that I couldn't stand to read about him. There aren't words to describe how much I hated him.

I wish you good luck with the book. I wanted to like it. I really, really did. (Why else would I have put myself through the pain three times?) But I've given up.

I'll be interested to hear what you think of it. I hope you love it. Seriously.

Jen

Post Fri Oct 29, 2004 11:21 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Ferrit Leggings

Sorry to say that i agree with Jenny. It was a book that i could not get into. I fail to finsh few books that i buy but this was one of them. You never know though so try it.

Ta

Post Fri Oct 29, 2004 3:32 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Sara Leigh

I enjoyed the book. It's been years since I read it, but my memory of the experience is similar to Dave S.'s.

Post Sun Oct 31, 2004 5:05 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Ted J

I read this book in college and thoroughly enjoyed it. The story is engaging and the characters are colorful. JennyO is right in that Ignatius J. Reilly is not likable. But, he's one of the most unique characters you'll ever find. I picture him as a cross between Don Quixote and the comic book guy from the Simpsons.

Post Sun Nov 14, 2004 6:22 pm   View user's profile Send private message
Conspiracies Unlimited

Book  Reply with quote  

I read it when I was a kid... I didn't understand a damn thing about that book... I should probably give it another shot, but then again...

Post Mon Nov 15, 2004 12:42 pm   
aaahchuu

Loved the book and hoped John Candy would play Ignatius. I think he would've been perfect , and I still miss that funny man.
Every time I go to N.Olreans I always hug the statue of Ignatius J. Reilly.
Did you ever read the book?

Post Sat Dec 17, 2005 11:50 am   View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: