Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> Blog Comments

Zen moments

Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Sara Leigh

Zen moments  Reply with quote  

I'm glad you posted that answer in the blog. (I don't read the writer forum, since I'm not a writer.) What you said brought back a term paper I wrote in senior English class on Virginia Woolf. The moment of enlightenment was a major element of her work, the point of many of her novels. That was a big concept for me back then. She may not have referred to it as Zen or even recognized the connection, but that's what she was talking about. And I wrote quite a few pages trying to explain what that was. Didn't have a clue, but it turned out to be a good research paper (about the only kind of writing I can manage; don't ask me to be creative). You clarified a lot in very few words. Thanks.

Post Thu Dec 29, 2005 5:24 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

I love the reference to a haiku. Back when I taught English I told the kids to take a mental polaroid snapshot of the scene they were describing, nothing before and nothing after, just the moment of the picture. I am so stinkin' zen and I didn't even realize it. That or I am a crappy teacher. Love the explaination. If I ever teach English again, i'm using it.

Post Fri Dec 30, 2005 9:26 am   
y

WOW. Thank you Chris for your response and thank you Adeamus for posing the question in the first place!

"Despite everything, I believe that people are really good at heart." - Anne Frank

Post Fri Dec 30, 2005 10:53 am   View user's profile Send private message
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: