Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?


bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> So You Wanna Be a Writer?

Beta testers
Goto page Previous  1, 2
  Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
chris
Site Admin


Joined: 02 Mar 2004
Posts: 3833
Location: People Republic of Northern California
 Reply with quote  

On a serious note. Only one of the timelines needs to have the structure -- the plot. In other words. Each character timeline doesn't need to be broken down into acts and scenes. The scenes will take care of themselves, of course. What you need is an overlay for the structure.

As for color --colored text would be fine. For instance, you could assine a color to each character -- Bob could be red, Jill green. This is less important than other aspects you list.

Post Tue Jan 17, 2006 1:20 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
chris
Site Admin


Joined: 02 Mar 2004
Posts: 3833
Location: People Republic of Northern California
 Reply with quote  

palmer wrote:
I think of a collapsable tree, sort of like in Windows explorer -- folders, subfolders, and finally text, but keeping everything in sight when reduced, with colour coding and text boxes that allow enough text to be useful. Is that anything like what you have in mind?

Also, I have XP, but what's that other thing?



Palmer:

Action Outline has a similar struture to this now, but without the flow chart aspect. I use it every day.

http://downloads-zdnet.com.com/ActionOutline-Lite/3000-2074_2-10381257.html?tag=lst-0-13[url][/url]

Post Tue Jan 17, 2006 1:38 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
FattyFattyPorkFace



Joined: 10 Aug 2004
Posts: 6381
Location: Michigan
 Reply with quote  

chris wrote:
On a serious note. Only one of the timelines needs to have the structure -- the plot. In other words. Each character timeline doesn't need to be broken down into acts and scenes. The scenes will take care of themselves, of course. What you need is an overlay for the structure.

As for color --colored text would be fine. For instance, you could assine a color to each character -- Bob could be red, Jill green. This is less important than other aspects you list.


So, a character timeline would just show events.

The plot timeline would show events, scenes, chapters and acts (as defined by the author).

Therefore, it will be possible to say to the tool, "hide all events". And then click a character to see only the events that apply to them. Clicking an event would show all characters that are related to that event and also indicate any scenes that the author has linked to that event as well as any pre-requisite events. The author could drag an event within the plot but bumping to its pre and post-requisites would move those too. The event would be unlinked from the scene it was dragged from and relinked with the new scene it now resides in (other scene links would remain the same).

Does this make sense?
_________________
Twitter: jefftunes

Post Tue Jan 17, 2006 2:03 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Ginjg



Joined: 04 Sep 2004
Posts: 6617
Location: Los Angeles
 Reply with quote  

I think Jer's Novel Writer does something very similar, but Mac only. I posted about it last year.

http://bbs.chrismoore.com/viewtopic.php?t=4108

Sgt Steve downloaded it. Perhaps he's played with it and can suggest how it relatess to what you are building.
_________________
To Learn is to Know
To Know is to Love
To Love is our aim

~~~~~~~

Why should we bother with immortality when we are eternal?

Post Tue Jan 17, 2006 2:49 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
FattyFattyPorkFace



Joined: 10 Aug 2004
Posts: 6381
Location: Michigan
 Reply with quote  

Ginjg wrote:
I think Jer's Novel Writer does something very similar, but Mac only. I posted about it last year.

http://bbs.chrismoore.com/viewtopic.php?t=4108

Sgt Steve downloaded it. Perhaps he can suggest how it compares to what you are building.


I don't expect to have all those features, but my main feature seems to be one that tool doesn't have. Anyway, I'm helping out the Windows users first Razz

Where this tool goes is upto those who try it out and make suggestions. It may fail to be of any use, but I'm going to try.
_________________
Twitter: jefftunes

Post Tue Jan 17, 2006 2:52 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
sgt_steve



Joined: 18 Jan 2005
Posts: 5197
Location: Michissippi
 Reply with quote  

FattyFattyPorkFace wrote:
Ginjg wrote:
I think Jer's Novel Writer does something very similar, but Mac only. I posted about it last year.

http://bbs.chrismoore.com/viewtopic.php?t=4108

Sgt Steve downloaded it. Perhaps he can suggest how it compares to what you are building.


I don't expect to have all those features, but my main feature seems to be one that tool doesn't have. Anyway, I'm helping out the Windows users first Razz

Where this tool goes is upto those who try it out and make suggestions. It may fail to be of any use, but I'm going to try.
Razz indeed! Smile

I'm just starting to read your proposal, so don't have anything to say about it yet. But yes, I've been using Jers Novel Writer - not to write a novel, but to keep a lab notebook. My experience with using it to a different purpose agrees rather startlingly with what I see from the users on Jers BBS: Margin notes are a gift from God. You're typing along, and suddenly realize that for what you're doing to work, you need something else. Hit Apple-M (or presumably Windows-M on Windows), and a yellow sticky note appears in the margin. What you type after the Apple-M goes into the sticky note. Hit Apple-M again, and you're back into typing into your main text. It's great - little important things don't get lost, but you can turn them off visually when you just need to read the text.

Odd coincidence - in my original post I note that Jer's Novel Writer looks rather like what Vernor Vinge did when writing A Fire Upon the Deep. As it happens, I'm going to meet Vinge this weekend, and will have my work laptop with lab notebook there.

Post Tue Jan 17, 2006 7:55 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
  Display posts from previous:      
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules:
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

 
Templates created by Vereor and Ken