Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> So You Wanna Be a Writer?

How did the dream get so greedy?

Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
knikkki

How did the dream get so greedy?  Reply with quote  

First my dream was to write a novel
I wrote one, then two

Then I thought, well I'll just put it out there and see what happens
I was delighted by my rejections

And then an agent wanted more, and another wanted more
and then I was irritated when the rejections came, and what the hell is taking so long?

And then the dream was,
"I'd just love to see my book in print"

And now I sit with a publishing contract in my inbox an I'm considering declining it because it's a small press.

Dude.

(I need a vacation from my brain.)

Post Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:27 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
sgt_steve

Re: How did the dream get so greedy?  Reply with quote  

knikkki wrote:
...And now I sit with a publishing contract in my inbox an I'm considering declining it because it's a small press.
I think you ought to hold out for the house next door to Chris'.

Post Wed Jan 18, 2006 5:24 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Boota

Knikkki, you're being smart. It's better to have no deal than a bad deal. Being as sure as you can before you make a career decision isn't greed or being ungrateful. It's just plain smart.

Post Wed Jan 18, 2006 10:32 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Lauren

It's not greedy to want your book to be picked up by a publisher that will get it into more peoples' hands. You've written something you're proud of, nothing wrong with wanting it to be available to a larger audience.

Knikkki, most people's manuscripts will sit in a slush pile for months. If you've submitted your book to any of the bigger presses, they might not have seen it yet. It also usually takes a while for someone to even find an agent, unless you know someone in the business or have an offer in hand and want representation.

So sure, you've had some quick, favorable responses, but it's only natural to want to hold out and see what someone bigger says.

Post Thu Jan 19, 2006 8:14 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: