Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> So You Wanna Be a Writer?

This is the Life

Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
chris
Site Admin

This is the Life  Reply with quote  

So, a few days ago I described how I use a big sketch pad to plot the book using visual ques. Well, yesterday I was working on the plot of the book, and very often it's awkward to try to work on sketch pad at the desk (there's usually way toO much shit on my desk to allow room for a 24"x18" inch sketch pad, so as I sometimes do, I took the pad, with a pile of books and a handful of pens to bed, to work there.

I've been using the same sketchpad for about four books now -- I don't use more than three or four pages per book -- so the spiral at the top of the notebook has been snagged on things several times over the years. That's never been a problem, except that when we moved to Hawaii, our house came with a couple of those Select Comfort Air Beds ("Dial in your own Sleep Number".)

That's right, you guessed it, sometime during the day, the wire from my sketch pad pierced the air bed, so I awoke last night about half-dumped out of a very flat bed. (Only my side, they are built that way, with a separate air bladder for each person.)

Anyway, today, instead of moving right along with the book, I had to go find a kit for patching the air bed (not a real item, I ended up buying a swimming pool patching kit). I'm not sure I've found the leak, but I've certainly killed some brain cells from breathing the fumes from the adhesive, and now it's going on one in the afternoon, and I'm finally getting ready to actually get some work done on the book.

This is the life!

Post Wed Aug 04, 2004 4:00 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Karin

Sounds like something that'd happen to me!

Post Thu Aug 05, 2004 6:40 am   View user's profile Send private message
john palmer

water bed remarks  Reply with quote  

This is an actual incident from the sixties that I personally remember, and yes it actually happened.

Two heavy substance abusers sitting on their new waterbed (with which they are thrilled).

One suddenly has a paranoid thought and expresses it thusly, "Hey man, what if a jooint falls on the bed and burns its way through the bed?"

The other ponders the matter and replies, "That's cool...when it hits the water, it'll just go out."

The first guy, reassured, says, "Cool," and they go back to their joint.

John Palmer

Post Thu Aug 05, 2004 6:49 am   
smartnfunnyfem

Location: West Chicago, IL (about 35 miles west of Chicago to be precise)
Please don't leave us hanging, Chris.  Reply with quote  

What IS your sleep number? Shocked

Post Mon Aug 09, 2004 9:10 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: