Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> So You Wanna Be a Writer?

Need advice from the board gang
Goto page Previous  1, 2
  Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Lauren

Said Lauren to Hillary lovingly,  Reply with quote  

Hand. It. The. Fuck. Over.

Post Mon Aug 16, 2004 8:16 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number
Hillary

NEVER YOU PINKO COMMIE!  Reply with quote  

*holds book over head, runs away whilst laughing maniacally*

IT'S MY PRECIOUSES.

Post Mon Aug 16, 2004 1:55 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
chris
Site Admin

Hill andLauren:

How many people can say that their friendship is both enviable AND entertaining? Thanks for sharing with us.

YOU TRAMPS! (Sorry, I pause to read the previous comment and it was so, so... well, you know. Had to add the "tramps" to keep from hurling.)

Last edited by chris on Tue Aug 17, 2004 1:47 am; edited 1 time in total

Post Mon Aug 16, 2004 7:01 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
smartnfunnyfem

Location: West Chicago, IL (about 35 miles west of Chicago to be precise)

add

Post Mon Aug 16, 2004 8:12 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
smartnfunnyfem

Location: West Chicago, IL (about 35 miles west of Chicago to be precise)

unless you are their pimp and then "ad" is correct.

Post Mon Aug 16, 2004 8:13 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
Hillary

Though AG's comments are funny . . .  Reply with quote  

I would like to say the following:

Dear Message Board,

I want to apologize for hijacking otherwise intelligent threads in order to call my friend a Pinko Commie. I will keep such comments to myself until the next time I see the wench.

Please carry on with normal posting.

Luv

Hillary

Now onto the serious stuff. How bad are adverbs? I don't use them all the time, but in Stephen King's On Writing (fun book for people looking for a style guide) he talks about how much he loathes them and will go out of his way to find a verb more fitting to describe the action.

Kate said ponderously

vs.

Kate mused.

Obviously, the latter is better in this instance, but it's an extreme example.

I notice that you don't use them all that much, Chris. So I guess my question is, why do adverbs get such a bum rep? Aren't they all right sometimes?

Post Mon Aug 16, 2004 8:17 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
chris
Site Admin

Re: Though AG's comments are funny . . .  Reply with quote  

Hillary wrote:

Now onto the serious stuff. How bad are adverbs? I don't use them all the time, but in Stephen King's On Writing (fun book for people looking for a style guide) he talks about how much he loathes them and will go out of his way to find a verb more fitting to describe the action.

Kate said ponderously

vs.

Kate mused.

Obviously, the latter is better in this instance, but it's an extreme example.

I notice that you don't use them all that much, Chris. So I guess my question is, why do adverbs get such a bum rep? Aren't they all right sometimes?

Almost always they're unecessary. ('member our talk about superfluous words?) I said, "almost". Sometimes you put them in for the beat, often for the humor, but most of the time, you can cut them. That said, Brits, especially Brits with a humorous bent, use a lot of adverbs. A lot. Douglas Adams stuff is fraught with them. They seem to work in that idiom, and you can almost hear the English accent when you read that stuff, but since most of us aren't Brits, nor writing as Brits, I'd have to go with Big Steve on the adverbs. Lose them if you can. They weaken the work.

By the way, in King's book where he says that any book can be written in two months and anyone who takes longer is just lazy? He's a fucking mutant, he has no perspective on reality. That's like The Flash saying, "There's just no reason why it should take anyone longer than two seconds to run the mile, and anyone who doesn't do it just isn't training hard enough." Perhaps he formed that opinion when he was writing books on his cocain jags, and perhaps if his coke-books like Insomnia were edited down to the 240 pages it actually should have taken to tell the story, it would be reasonable to say that it could be written in two months.

Props, as always, for Big Steve's acumen, and there is much to be learned from him -- I have learned much from him, but learn from his work.

Two months. Jeeze. FREAK!

Post Tue Aug 17, 2004 2:00 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
chris
Site Admin

smartnfunnyfem wrote:
add

I just want to point out that the person correcting my spelling makes vegetable cartoons for a living.

Post Tue Aug 17, 2004 2:03 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Lauren

So, now I've been called a slut and a tramp by the Author Guy, both times in huge, bold, all caps letters. *swoon* I'm going to start framing these and see how many I can get. It will be like collector's prints.

I was also going to apologize for threadjacking, with my inner kindergartener jumping up and down and pointing at Hillary, saying "She started it!" but then I realized something. Appeals to logic and rational thought aren't getting her to stop tinkering with the damn book. So now I will attempt to publicly shame her into handing it over by starting a thread in which I count days since she finished it and hasn't handed it over. You are all welcome to join in harrassing her so she can get this damned thing on its way to being published already.

(And no, she's not doing her *first* editing pass through. More like her third. Revising the first half to match the style of the second, fine. But that's done. Now it's just tinkering.)

Post Tue Aug 17, 2004 5:53 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: