Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> Blog Comments

Abominate

Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Lisa M

Abominate  Reply with quote  

I abominate the president, my soon to be ex sister-in-law, and any stupid fool who thinks a constitutional amendment against anything is a good thing. Let's see. . . isn't it the Bill of Rights?

Post Mon Aug 16, 2004 12:58 pm   View user's profile Send private message
Tal

Fun with blanket statements  Reply with quote  

Lisa M wrote:
I abominate...any stupid fool who thinks a constitutional amendment against anything is a good thing. Let's see. . . isn't it the Bill of Rights?

While I can understand what you're driving at (the Amendment against gay marriages - at least that is what I think you're driving at) just about any amendment could be flipped around to be against something. Just me being a devil's advocate again. Sorry.

Post Mon Aug 16, 2004 1:12 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Lisa M

Abominate  Reply with quote  

Yes, that is true. But the intent of the anti-gay marriage amendment is so clearly intended to subjugate, to say nothing of the fact that the government has no business tinkering with what is, at best, a state's issue. Why even the state's are involved seems to me to be strictly for the legal side of things, i.e. inheritance, etc. Why they should care whether one person is the same gender as their partner is beyond me. A wise friend of mine said the whole issue is about ensuring a patriarchial society.

Post Mon Aug 16, 2004 1:27 pm   View user's profile Send private message
Tal

The problem is...  Reply with quote  

Lisa M wrote:
Yes, that is true. But the intent of the anti-gay marriage amendment is so clearly intended to subjugate, to say nothing of the fact that the government has no business tinkering with what is, at best, a state's issue. Why even the state's are involved seems to me to be strictly for the legal side of things, i.e. inheritance, etc. Why they should care whether one person is the same gender as their partner is beyond me. A wise friend of mine said the whole issue is about ensuring a patriarchial society.

The problem is that, in regards to states making laws on marriages, is that generally its expected to follow you from state to state and the other state has to accept that that person is legally married. Dubya and his cronies are trying to legislate this back into the federal realm to put an end to that problem. What this is really about is that there are far more who are afraid of the idea of gays having the same rights as married couples than there are of those who support the idea of gay marriage. After all if it was just a matter of inheritance and insurance than the Government wouldn't have been afraid of letting gays become common law married partners.

Post Mon Aug 16, 2004 3:11 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Robb

Silly me but didn't the republicans used to stand for less federal involvement and more authority to the states who are closer to the people they are serving? I thought so hence the reason I voted republican for so long. I do hold some liberal views but I still think states should have more authority to decide whats better for that state. Call it healthy self interest perhaps but I truly believe that the federal government should only handle issues that are in the national interest ie:defense, health in the form of FDA and other safety regulatory action, and international diplomacy. There are a few others in there but there are a few things that should be left the hell alone and let the states work them out. The country we live in is so large that from one area to the other we have differant needs, products and isues. It stands to reason that the state government would be better suited to handle issues that you are dealing with as the elected officials should be familiar with your problems as chances are they have encountered them as well. Ok that is a little idealistic I know but really, it would be better to have a person from the next county deciding on important issues vs. some guy who lives in a totally differant climate.
As for the issue of Gay marriage, I'm all for it. Frankly if two people in todays society can form a bond that lasts beyond a day or two or even a year or two then I say go for it. And why should a person be left in the lurch when that partner dies? Would you penalize a buisness just because one partner dies and they were both lithuanian? No and this issue sounds just as silly. Marriage is one one hand a joining of two people making a formal declaration of fidelity and trust and love. But one the other lets face facts, to the federal government it is a buisness deal pure and simple with tax advantages, shared responsibility and legal protection. In other words they are making money off this. To deny people the opportunity to marry based on a bias issue is simply bad buisness. Hence I'm voting to fire this particular CEO (or CIC). Why? because he's frankly a lousy administrator and a failure as a buisnessman. Oh yeah andhe's a lawbreaker as well, I haven't forgotten that drunk driving thing. I abominate drunk driving.

Sorry to get political, I normally try to avoid discussions like this on the grounds that I could potentially be a great benevolent dictator and frankly think things would be so much simpler if I were running things. But then I'm an NCO I'm supposed to be like that.

Post Sat Aug 21, 2004 9:49 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Unc

I'll have a McGay, with extra fries...  Reply with quote  

Just as an interesting counterpoint to all this, this afternoon I had a craving for good, old-fashioned American food de junque, and stopped at one of the many McDonalds restaurants in Paris. While there, I picked up a copy of a freebie magazine called comme ša. Because McDonalds in France tends to appeal to (and thus market to) youth, this was a fairly well done glossy journal filled with articles about the latest rap and movie stars, films, clothes, Britney gossip, video games, etc. But right in the middle of all this was a four-page article called Gay: version 2004. Despite the photos of gaudily-dressed-up men at a recent gay pride event in Paris, the article itself was an unbiased, unsensational, balanced look at what it's like to be gay in France in this day and age.

What blew my mind, having read some of this thread and having followed the uproar in the American press abominating the very *idea* of two people of the same sex wanting to commit to each other legally, was not only the non-bias and balance of the article, but the fact that it was in a magazine put out by McDonalds. Can you even *imagine* what would happen to a corporation like McDonalds in the US if they put something like this in a publication and gave it away for free in their restaurants? They'd be out of business in a month.

Post Sun Aug 22, 2004 8:58 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: