Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> Blog Comments

death book "research"

Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Ginjg

death book "research"  Reply with quote  

You mentioned that the next book may deal with death. You might want to peak the novella Dead Lines (a novel of life… after death) by Greg Bear. It's a quick read - just 246 pages - and has an interesting premise.

Post Fri Aug 27, 2004 5:21 pm   
chris
Site Admin

Thanks

Post Fri Aug 27, 2004 6:35 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Unc

death book research  Reply with quote  

It's been decades since I last read it, but I have this nagging pseudomemory that Philip K. Dick's "Ubik" might be of interest. As I remember, it's loosely based on the Tibetan Book of the Dead, and the transit through the Bardo between death and rebirth.

Post Sat Aug 28, 2004 1:54 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
chris
Site Admin

Thanks, Unc. I'm going to be messing with similar themes. P.K. Dick is like Vonnegut -- any time I think I've come up with a good idea, I find out that Dick wrote it twenty-five years ago. At least he wasn't funny.

Post Sat Aug 28, 2004 2:51 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website

and you could probably whup him in a fight AG. Well, you know he is dead, but he still could be wily.

Post Sat Aug 28, 2004 4:22 am   
Ferrit Leggings

A Grief Observed
by C. S. Lewis

and
Shadow Lands
by William Nicholson

They are both very well done.

Post Sat Aug 28, 2004 4:36 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Robb

Terry Pratchett's DEATH is a fun character and On A Pale Horse by Piers Anthony is another good one. Actually Pale Horse deals with the idea of a human becoming the Incarnation of Death. Good stuff. Then of course there's Poe and every album by the Cure. The Original Crow comic by J.O'Barr is good as well. And while I haven't seen it isn't there a new show called Dead like me? Yes this is one of my favorite subjects, I am really looking forward to this one AG. Yes I am a former goth, go figure.

Post Sat Aug 28, 2004 6:13 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Tal

Anonymous wrote:
and you could probably whup him in a fight AG. Well, you know he is dead, but he still could be wily.

I think it would come down to a dead heat.

Mr. Green

Post Sat Aug 28, 2004 6:18 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Robb

oooo yer killin me here... Laughing

Post Sat Aug 28, 2004 6:23 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Hillary

Damn it Robb.

You stole my recommendation.

Reaper Man by Pratchett is da BOMB.

Smile

Post Sat Aug 28, 2004 7:42 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Kurt

Recommendations? What about experiences ...

It's Sunday morning, I was probably called to the unit (ICCU, both "Intensive" and "Cardiac" Care Unit) to help with something inane or routine (or to do their work for them ... shhh, don't mention that last one).
But I was there for all of this ... It was about 8AM.
A modestly older guy (late 50s to early 60s, but only a little gray) says to the nurse, "I've never felt better in my life."
Now people who turn that pale are generally dead already ... BUT that was the nurse!!!! Now the nurse, Sue, was no sloach, very experienced, very competent, actually rather beautiful too. But as soon as the patient said it, she got VERY nervous, rather pale, and she was even shaking a little. Within about the next hour the guy did die, though before the echo of his statement faded, and as soon as she could speak (coherently) again, she said it as a question, but one that only has one answer ... to me "You aren't going anywhere, are you?"
They were a little short handed, being a weekend, and probably the next time I left the Unit was to go get the morgue cart, and play out my role as reaper-on-call.

And if you want to see an ER nurse "blanche" (too) ... have a patient with chest pain say they need to have a bowel movement, especially "urgently."

Only once did a patient who coded make a comment (which I didn't hear) that one of the nurses said "an out of body experience" (which I did hear) ... then no one would discuss it. Damn, just when it was getting interesting.

Some of the hospital experiences I wrote up for a response to a suvey in OMNI magazine, called Death And Dying II, I still have the magazine and my response. I'll try to dig up who organized the survey ... sorry, bad pun.

My father was a "code" when I was like 5 or 6 (about 40 years ago now, we figure he has used up 7 or 8 or his nine lives at this point ... and he hates cats, go figure) ... the guy in the next bed timed it, he was gone for about five minutes. The first thing the nurse said when he was conscious again was "welcome back." My sister has told me, that he has mentioned an out of body experience (but no tunnel) with that adventure. I think he's the first in the family line, to have been clinically dead, and later be able to hear about it. I think three others have since knocked on the door, but didn't buy the coffin either.

Thank you, do you want fires with that?
Oh, for recomendations ... Dead Like Me ... season one came out on DVD this past June ... the sixth episode of season two, airs (starting) tomorrow night (8/29) on Showtime. They writing is EXCELLENT, and funny. Elliot fisrt showed me the pilot episode off a disk he down-loaded.

Post Sat Aug 28, 2004 3:14 pm   
palmer

Kurt wrote:
Recommendations? What about experiences ...

It's Sunday morning, I was probably called to the unit (ICCU, both "Intensive" and "Cardiac" Care Unit) to help with something inane or routine (or to do their work for them ... shhh, don't mention that last one).
But I was there for all of this ... It was about 8AM.
A modestly older guy (late 50s to early 60s, but only a little gray) says to the nurse, "I've never felt better in my life."

I've heard this again and again. People "lighting up" just before they die. I heard Khubler-Ross (who just died BTW) say that she had seen hopelessly schizophrenic patients become entirely lucid the day they died.

I had some "experiences" when my father died that convinced me utterly of the continuance of the spirit after bodily death, and talked to the minister of the church where I was organist a short while after. He told me that he hears so many stories like mine that it's incredible -- we just tend not to share them with each other.

Surely, life is forever.

Post Sun Aug 29, 2004 1:50 pm   View user's profile Send private message
KaosDevice

I've got to second all the reccomendations for "Dead Like Me". I started watching it when it first aired and instantly fell for the show. Very smartly written with a lean toward the dark side of comedy. The Rube Goldberg deaths that the reapers are around for are some times absolutely halarious. The show has a good heart though and obviously shows compassion for the reapers and their charges.

I think Mort is one of my Pratchett favorites when it comes to the Death character. The movie "Jacob's Ladder" has some interesting observations about the afterlife as well.

"It's fun to Obey the Machine!" - Ralphie

Post Mon Aug 30, 2004 3:10 am   View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Lauren

Gotta plug the Lady - Neil Gaiman's Death is one of the coolest representations of death I've ever read. You don't have to read all the Sandman graphic novels (although her first appearance is at the end of Preludes and Nocturnes, where brother Dream is moping about his job and she has him follow her around for a day to see what she does). There are two spinoff titles, Death: The High Cost of Living and Death: Time of Your Life. HCOL is more of a stand-alone than ToYL.

Supposedly they're going to be making HCOL into a movie soon. Hooray!

Post Mon Aug 30, 2004 6:08 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number
Unc

Death researcher Kubler-Ross dies  Reply with quote  

In a strange synchronicity, t'would seem that one of the first scientists to deeply research death and dying got to expand her research yesterday:

http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/Southwest/08/25/obit.kublerross.ap/index.htm

It would be fascinating to learn, after having defined the five phases that people who are dying go through (denial, anger, bargaining, depression and acceptance), whether she went through them herself.

Post Wed Sep 01, 2004 9:03 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: