Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> YOU SUCK: A Love Story

a brief criticism....
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
  Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
JennyO

FWIW, the Abby bits were my favorite part. I LMAO, so to speak. Smile

Kurt Vonnegut

Post Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:51 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
zevon

I second Jenny O's comment, Abby is a great character.

Post Fri Jan 19, 2007 4:47 pm   View user's profile Send private message
chris
Site Admin

I'm glad her stuff is working for you guys. The point, I think, is that I'm laughing at teenagers, not with them Smile

Post Sat Jan 20, 2007 12:36 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Joelibris

Maybe thats what is at issue here...the teens are reading it : "Hahaha!...Waitaminnit..."

Post Sat Jan 20, 2007 7:25 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Klari

Fuckin' teenagers think they know everything. Even how they themselves talk.

It worked for me Chris, but then, I'm not a total authenticity maven, and I did realize that the name Christopher Moore on the front of the book and the picture of the author inside meant it was written by a mature male, not a teenage girl and I have to give you props for the teen speak.

Post Sat Jan 20, 2007 1:44 pm   View user's profile Send private message
zendao42

I had never heard w00t before, so I didn't know what it meant the first time I read it- figured it was either teen or geek speak. Even when I was a teenager, I (most fortunately) didn't speak or act like like the average teen...(OK, there was that ill-advised perm, but still)

But since Abby is willing to pepper her speech with French & hip-hop references when they most appropriately convey the feelings she wishes to express, it would not be out of character for her to go retro as well.

Post Sat Jan 20, 2007 1:59 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
uncletammy

Id hit that.

Lilly too

Post Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:26 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
cornman

abby's voice was HUGE in this story! she had alot of screen time, if you will.
cracked me the fuck up to boot. sorry that it offended the revolver reading, hot topic shopping set.

that being said....
c'mon now, chris. bikers not only do not know how to create anything other than fabricated parts they certainly don't know how to use electricity to create art! sheeeesh. like, ya know, cmon. bleah. i'm just sayin...

ok, i got nuthin.

Post Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:13 pm   View user's profile Send private message
KatarinaNavane

I've finished the book now and by the time I got about halfway through the complaints kinda faded away. Only a few instances overall were jarring to me--for the most part Abby's narration is very good. And it was definately funny--a few things were so spot on I could have sworn Abby was someone I knew, like describing an attractive guy as final fantasy-like. Just one of many AG moments when, upon reading it, I immediately looked around for someone to read it out loud to. Unfortunately, I was in math class at the time, so no such opportunity presented itself. *sigh*

http://katarinanavane.deviantart.com

http://katarinanavane.etsy.com

Post Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:07 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger
sgt_steve

Re: a brief criticism....  Reply with quote  

KatarinaNavane wrote:
Of course, everything else about YS (so far) is very shiny indeed. (I'm trying to get "shiny" to catch on as slang for good/cool/awesome...ok, maybe I'm not the best example of teenage speech patterns.)
"Shiny" is making *huge* inroads up here.

I've enjoyed Abby's speech patterns, usually finding them funny rather than jarring. It's close enough to what comes drifting over the walls when I have lunch on campus that it works for me.

Post Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:02 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
jaandlu

You guys are all missing the biggest problem with Abby's speech. The simple fact is that the word "like" is used among teens and some adults as a gap filler and therefore is used as not much more than a small pause to give the brain time to come up with the next word. Hence all the "like's" that Abby uses should be surrounded in comma's and they are not! OMG, like, that ruined the whole book for me. You Suck is missing about a two hundred commas and I refuse to ever read it again until this issue is resolved. IT totally ruined the whole experience for me. Here we a potentially great book ruined by the under use of comma's.

Post Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:24 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
y

jaandlu wrote:
...Here we a potentially great book ruined by the under use of comma's.
I'm sorry J - were you trying to say something? Cause I, like, totally didn't get it Twisted Evil

"Despite everything, I believe that people are really good at heart." - Anne Frank

Post Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:29 am   View user's profile Send private message
jaandlu

y wrote:
jaandlu wrote:
...Here we a potentially great book ruined by the under use of comma's.
I'm sorry J - were you trying to say something? Cause I, like, totally didn't get it Twisted Evil

I was, like, trying to say that people can, like, complain about just about anything if they, like, want to.

Post Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:10 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Darquewillow_Lily

As a teenage girl myself I thought Abby's parts were the funniest. I don't personally talk like that but I hear people that do (only less fantasy-loving, which my deepest sadness).
Has anyone ever read the uber-teenage Princess Diaries? Sounded like AG wrote that with a Goth twist.

Post Wed Jan 24, 2007 4:55 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Wonko

I think that J has just solved the biggest riddle of the 20th century!
The typewriter that was used to write all of Captain Kirk's dialog had the comma key stuck to the space bar!
That's, why, Bill, Shatner, always, said, his, lines, with, pauses, between, every, word.

Post Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:33 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: