Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> YOU SUCK: A Love Story

a brief criticism....
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
  Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
jaandlu

Holy shit, Wonko, you're right! I stumbled into it and didn't even know it. This sheds so much light onto my whole youthful existence that I think I will no longer need my therapist. But I am still pissed about the lack of commas in You Suck. Okay, never-mind, I am not going to stop seeing my therapist.

Okay, I'm not really seeing a therapist. Maybe I should though.

Post Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:21 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Wonko

Save yourself the trip to the therapist, J. The great and exalted AG did not forget commas. The lack of commas to set apart the interjection "like" which has been troubling you so appear in The Chronicles of Abby Normal, which is Chris' documentation of her personal writing. As a goth chick wannabe, Abby is not going to lower herself to use the oppressive day-slave rules of punctuation in her private journal. Chris was just striving for authenticity ratherthan Punctuational Correctness. So you, and your PC thugs can just back off.

Okay, our time is up. That'll be $200, please.

Post Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:06 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
jaandlu

Ahhhh, the relief that knowledge brings. Thanks for the help, Wonko. Ummmm... I'll get you the $200 after I get my $5000 back from my check bouncing ex-employer.

Post Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:49 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Joelibris

jaandlu wrote:
Ahhhh, the relief that knowledge brings. Thanks for the help, Wonko. Ummmm... I'll get you the $200 after I get my $5000 back from my check bouncing ex-employer.

The yoga place stiffed you?!

Post Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:32 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Klari

Joelibris wrote:

It wasn't THAT kind of yoga place.

Well, actually, if you get stiff from yoga then you're not doing it right.

Or are you...?

Post Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:08 pm   View user's profile Send private message
Laveric

Klari wrote:

Or are you...?

I suppose that depends on if you can still bend it... I suppose that is practice.

Now if they could teach you to move it with only a thought.... there would be a real market in that.

Post Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:46 pm   View user's profile Send private message
Wonko

Klari wrote:

Or are you...?

There are "Nude Yoga" videos on eBay every once in a while. I suppose that might make some guys stiff.

But somehow I don't think they are buying it for the yoga

Post Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:05 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
jaandlu

Joelibris wrote:
jaandlu wrote:

No, I left there to manage a restaurant in Turlock.

Post Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:02 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
kdubya

I think it is safe to assume not all teenage girls talk and act the same.
I am about the same age as Charlie Asher, but he acts and speaks in a avery different manner than I do. I don't think of it as a problem with the writing, it's just a product of the fact that everyone is an individual.

Post Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:39 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
shilofreeze

I'm 21 and male..... it depends on the person. Saying that all goth kids talk like this is wrong.... but this is a fictional work with a character that does not generalise. I've talked to some people who talk like this. From what I've found, most of them talk about non-conforming and then turn around and say to newbs that they have to listen to the same type of music they do to be non-conformist.

Post Mon Feb 12, 2007 4:01 am   View user's profile Send private message
KatarinaNavane

shilofreeze wrote:
I'm 21 and male..... it depends on the person. Saying that all goth kids talk like this is wrong.... but this is a fictional work with a character that does not generalise. I've talked to some people who talk like this. From what I've found, most of them talk about non-conforming and then turn around and say to newbs that they have to listen to the same type of music they do to be non-conformist.

anyone reminded of south park?
"so what do i have to do to be nonconformist like you guys?"
"look like us, dress like us, listen to the same music as us..."

http://katarinanavane.deviantart.com

http://katarinanavane.etsy.com

Post Mon Feb 12, 2007 4:48 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger
shilofreeze

KatarinaNavane wrote:
shilofreeze wrote:

anyone reminded of south park?
"so what do i have to do to be nonconformist like you guys?"
"look like us, dress like us, listen to the same music as us..."

yep.... but I actually did know people like that.... not joking

Post Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:06 pm   View user's profile Send private message
Nevermore26

shilofreeze wrote:

I still know people like that, & I'm 33. Rolling Eyes

Nevermore...

Post Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:23 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
shilofreeze

Nevermore26 wrote:
shilofreeze wrote:

I still know people like that, & I'm 33. Rolling Eyes

Nevermore...

a lot of people are like this in the punk and hardcore scene too, in their own way Rolling Eyes

Post Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:24 pm   View user's profile Send private message
Casually yours

The truith is, if a gothpunk teenager had written the narrative, it would have been vastly less interesting than it was. Abby is an idealized version of a vampgroupie manga-loving gothteen, thank GOD, not the real thing. The Author did an incredible job of interpreting her for our amusement!

Post Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:30 pm   View user's profile Send private message
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: