Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> YOU SUCK: A Love Story

a brief criticism....
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
  Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
alabama

well...  Reply with quote  

i thought abby was fine. what i did find difficult to believe was a 19 year old w/out a college education making 40k a year.

wtf?

-lily

Post Mon Mar 19, 2007 1:27 pm   
Joelibris

You need to read "Bloodsucking Fiends" to find out where the money came from.

Post Mon Mar 19, 2007 2:16 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
alabama

i did...  Reply with quote  

but how many lives ago was that?

really, all i remembered was that being sealed in bronze for eternity would suck... more so than being turned into a vampire to begin w/. and i kinda remember her being attacked while walking to her car after working late one nite??... and i guess thats about all i remember now. i know i need to re-read it.. damn, the first time i read it i was younger than her. now i'm older.

i tried re-reading "Practical Demonkeeping" again... after reading "Lamb" and "Fluke" (for the 3rd time)... there is so much evolution between those books it's like a different guy wrote them. i decided to keep PDK the way i remembered it in my head... why does the cross dresser stick out the most?

-lily

Post Mon Mar 19, 2007 3:02 pm   
Joelibris

YOU SUCK takes place ONE DAY after Bloodsucking Fiends".

Post Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:48 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
alabama

thats good and damn fine well...  Reply with quote  

but that does nothing for my aging dilemma.

my point was that i read BS Fiends before i was 26... nevermind.

"tatter tots nesting in brillo pads"... love that! need some bloody ketchup.

-lily

Post Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:55 pm   
chris
Site Admin

Re: well...  Reply with quote  

alabama wrote:
i thought abby was fine. what i did find difficult to believe was a 19 year old w/out a college education making 40k a year.

wtf?

-lily

That's about what a journeyman clerk night crew leader makes in San Francisco. You might have trouble with the $4000 a month rents in Tommy and Jody's neighborhood, too. Smile (Hell, I made around $20,000 a year doing it when I was Tommy's age, and that was 30 years ago.)

Post Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:39 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Joelibris

Man, if I could score a job there, but still live in El Cheapo, NC, I'd be rollin' in the dough! Fuck of a commute, though.

Post Thu Mar 22, 2007 2:20 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Goudron

I read the bok slowly (like I do all books), so I'm just getting here. I'd like to mention that my 15.5 yr-old son says "w00t". I like to spell it "w00yt" now though. I did not notice the incorrect usage.

I hadn't heard "shiny" until earlier today in a different forum.

Post Tue Mar 27, 2007 3:52 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Goudron

Double post, sorry, but I really wanted to add this:

http://www.woot.com/Blog/BlogEntry.aspx?BlogEntryId=798

Post Wed Mar 28, 2007 3:20 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
lilbeautiful555

Re: a brief criticism....  Reply with quote  

[quote="KatarinaNavane"]I have yet to finish YS, but I have one minimal complaint. And yes, I am being nitpickey, but I feel like I must point this out. Being a teenage girl/anime geek with (admittedly, very slight) goth tendencies, I didn't really feel Abby's narration was believable. It was pretty close, for an author who has never been a teenage girl, but I don't think the AG has quite captured modern teenage speech patterns yet.

opinions, anyone?

Of course, everything else about YS (so far) is very shiny indeed. (I'm trying to get "shiny" to catch on as slang for good/cool/awesome...ok, maybe I'm not the best example of teenage speech patterns.)[/quote]

Shocked That was perfect!!! i cant believe u feel that way. Shocked

Post Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:31 pm   View user's profile Send private message
IdiotCroissant

Quote:
have yet to finish YS, but I have one minimal complaint. And yes, I am being nitpickey, but I feel like I must point this out. Being a teenage girl/anime geek with (admittedly, very slight) goth tendencies, I didn't really feel Abby's narration was believable. It was pretty close, for an author who has never been a teenage girl, but I don't think the AG has quite captured modern teenage speech patterns yet.

Me thinks the mockery hit too close to home.

Post Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:15 am   View user's profile Send private message
Jason86

I am a 21 year old male and I am not really sure how accurate it was because I have never really experienced this "culture" of the teenage goth girl. It made me laugh a lot and it was real enough for me. It was how I would picture someone like Abby talking. More Abby! I would love for her to write a whole book... however, that might drive Christopher Moore to go a little crazy.

Post Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:35 am   View user's profile Send private message
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: