Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> Who's Who

Worst habits.
Goto page 1, 2  Next
  Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Robb

Worst habits.  Reply with quote  

Well in honor of the fact I'm quitting mine lets hear em. What do you do when noone is watching that even you can't stand. Mine is Tobacco, Skoal that is hillbilly heroin. No I'm not proud of it but I've been doing it for 10 years now. I've gone to the class and I have the patches, and pills and I'm making myself wait a little bit longer each day until I get over this. Today has been the longest I've gone without yet and I'm not enjoying this at all. Funniest thing happened. I went for a walk and went to the PX, walking by the tobacco section and damn near shaking. All of the sudden I hear "Carry on my Wayward Son...there'll be peace when you are done, lay your weary head to rest...Don'tcha cry no more.." And you know what? It went away. Go figure. Makes you think wouldn't it be cool if someday someone hears one of your songs and feels that? Either way I have to quit, my son asked me to. Wish me luck y'all. Rolling Eyes

Post Tue Aug 10, 2004 4:17 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Tal

Luck to you!  Reply with quote  

My worst habit is that I chew my finger nails. Embarassed

Post Tue Aug 10, 2004 5:50 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Hillary

My hair's pretty long, and if I get bored, I check the ends for split ends and then rip them apart.

I also have a tendency to open bottles/cans/whatever, drink half of it, and leave it around the house in mysterious places for a cat to knock over.

Outside of that? I can't think of anything.

Post Tue Aug 10, 2004 7:12 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
FattyFattyPorkFace

Smoking sucks  Reply with quote  

I smoke.

I'm an habitual quitter. I quit smoking. Then I quit quitting. It's a vicious cycle and I want to break it...don't know if I'm ready though.

Maybe we should start a quitters support group for us all to help each other out in a lovely friendly way. We can share stories of desperation and deceit in the attempts to give up smoking. We can also share handy tips on avoiding that relapse when you're out with friends or driving in a lonely car.

I'm going to quit again soon...I've got to...for a start, here in England...a packet of smokes costs me just under 5ukp...that's about $10!!! can you imagine paying that for the priviledge of dying sooner? I wanna hear you shout, "SUCKERS!!"

I have to quit.

Post Tue Aug 10, 2004 9:26 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
graeme

All those farmyard animals, so little time. Oh, yeah - and smoking (I hear you, Fatty. Just gave up for the fourth time. Lasted two weeks this time; a month is my shamefully pathetic personal best). And the usual boys' habits Rolling Eyes

Post Tue Aug 10, 2004 11:41 am   View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
chris
Site Admin

hey Jeff

I'm five years off the smokes in November -- maybe six years. Not sure. No, five.

Exercise helps. Particularly cardiovascular exercise. If you exercise to the edge of your new ability you'll limit your weight gain.

Zyban and nicorette were my crutches. Didn't do the nicorette like they recommend, instead used it only when I thought I'd go nuts if I didn't smoke (or if other people were smoking). Didn't do it unless I had a craving. After a couple of months, I didn't need it. (This was during the holidays -- the gum helped me get through the Christmas parties with my friends smoking.)

The Pub will be very tough, Jeff. The toughest part. I'd already been away from alcohol for 11 years when I quit smoking, but I tried to quit when I was drinking without much success, and always with a ton of weight gain. If you can stay away from the Pub for the first two weeks, you might have a chance.

Took me three good tries to get off the smokes for this long. A six monther, a two monther, and finally, this one. Keep trying. You're young enough that you'll actually be able to heal up and get hit by a car or something instead of croaking from smoking.

Everyone has his or her story about this. Keep trying stuff until something works. Eventually you'll be so disgusted with your own pathetic weakness that you'll quit.

Post Wed Aug 11, 2004 2:10 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Ferrit Leggings

My worst habit is smoking. I find it very hard to quit because I like it sometimes. I live such a boring life in the rural areas of Up State New York that it fills time. You see, I donít drink anymore. There was this problem I had of waking up in places that I didnít know how I got there and blacking out ceased to be fun. I quit drinking when I was twenty one, started at fourteen. Not drinking in the rural areas of New York is difficult because most of the activities around here are centred round alcohol. Carnivals, not that I would have gone when I was drunk, have AA written all over them. Monster Truck Rallyís are a meeting of heavy machinery and booze. Racing, a sport that can only be enjoyed drunk. RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR OH yes, RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR, Ah huh, YEEEEEEEEEEW OH. I hope that while you were reading that you made car noises.

I equate racing with bad sex.

The public health authorities never mention the main reason many Americans have for smoking heavily, which is that smoking is a fairly sure, fairly honourable form of suicide.
~Kurt Vonnegut

Post Wed Aug 11, 2004 2:38 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
graeme

Exercise? How does this score on the old dumb-o-meter: I cycle 30 miles a day (more at weekends or on days I'm not not working). The first thing I do when I get back to the house? You guessed it. But I smoke Marlboro Lights, and they're not as bad for you. Right? I have some sympathy with Mr/Mrs/Ms Leggings. I live in Scotland, where going to the pub and blowing your brains out is a God-given right. Not only that, but we're PROUD of our reputation as a nation of pissheads. I keep reminding myself that I'm paying a faceless multinational shitloads of money to kill me, but still . . . Yep. Pathetic is the word.

Post Wed Aug 11, 2004 6:14 am   View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
chris
Site Admin

Yep, I remember that. The best cigarette of the day was the one on the way home from the gym. Smile Sweet!

Post Wed Aug 11, 2004 4:36 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Think insane.

graeme wrote:
Exercise? How does this score on the old dumb-o-meter: I cycle 30 miles a day (more at weekends or on days I'm not not working). The first thing I do when I get back to the house? You guessed it. But I smoke Marlboro Lights, and they're not as bad for you. Right? I have some sympathy with Mr/Mrs/Ms Leggings. I live in Scotland, where going to the pub and blowing your brains out is a God-given right. Not only that, but we're PROUD of our reputation as a nation of pissheads. I keep reminding myself that I'm paying a faceless multinational shitloads of money to kill me, but still . . . Yep. Pathetic is the word.

Switch to Marb Ultra lights. I did about six years ago to ease my transition to smoke-free-ed-ness. It's worked like a charm. Now if they would just release Marb wicked lights, I'd be all set.

thinkinsane at mac dot com
AIM: thinkpsychotic

Post Wed Aug 11, 2004 6:56 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Lara

Smoking and Burping  Reply with quote  

I smoke and I burp. My friends are very forgiving of the burping, some of them even take up the challenge, depending on how much we've had to drink. But sometimes I forget and I burp in mixed company; a nice quiet little burp, cute even, and I'm surprised by the shocked looks. I may quit smoking but I will never stop burping. I would like to quit smoking, just forget about ciggies entirely. Maybe I should simply burp every time I want a cigarette. It's cheaper.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1286305849

Post Wed Aug 11, 2004 9:34 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Sara Leigh

Okay, so maybe I have one bad habit. But almost nobody ever witnesses it. I don't burp, I belch. Sometimes I even amaze myself. Mostly only my immediate family gets to experience the wonderfulness of it all. And that's because we all do it. My father trained us all very well. Twisted Evil

Post Thu Aug 12, 2004 12:46 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Taco Bob

*cough*  Reply with quote  

AG sez:
"Yep, I remember that. The best cigarette of the day was the one on the way home from the gym."

I remember firing one up with that big ol' steamy cup of coffee in the morning. A breakfast combo that's hard to beat. Razz I knew when I quit smokes the coffee would have to go too. Been almost seven years now, and I stopped missing the Java a long time ago, but them ciggies still smell mighty fine. Which is kinda scary. Shocked

Post Thu Aug 12, 2004 9:12 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Lib

What worse habits?  Reply with quote  

Drinking diet coke with desserts. Embarassed
Overtipping (so I enjoy people waiting on me - make something of it).
Playing on the computer when I should be do something else.
Expecting employees at mega lumber & hardware centers to know their products (I know more just from watching home improvement shows).
Bothering complete strangers in bookstores by telling them about the AG's books. Twisted Evil

Post Thu Aug 12, 2004 12:50 pm   View user's profile Send private message
Blarg

Coke...I drink tons of coca-cola. Though I've drastically cut back, I drink 1-2 cokes a day now. I used to be able to clear a 12 pack at each meal. I was at one point drinking 30+ cans of coke a day. I was at one point almost 400 pounds because of my soda addiction. Now im down to 235 and dont drink as much. I drink a ton of water now however, I have an issue with having to drink things. I fear the day I get addicted to alcohol.

Post Sat Aug 14, 2004 6:06 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger ICQ Number
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: