Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> YOU SUCK: A Love Story

My Question: Is another sequel planned. *SPOILERS
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
  Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
shilofreeze

My Question: Is another sequel planned. *SPOILERS  Reply with quote  

I went to Chapters and got A Dirty Job by Christopher Moore reccomended to me about 8 months ago (I can't remember) and I read it and loved it. Then I went to buy Bloodsucking Fiends, and I slacked off on reading it. When I was 200 pages in, I just couldn't put it down. I finished it in 2 more sittings. Then I looked at the back of the paperback (because I bought it the day it came to paperback) and I see "you suck: a love story" advertised. I look at the synopse and notice it's a sequel.

So I grabbed my Chapters gift card from Christmas (saved it for 2 months) and went and bought myself a copy in hardcover. I read it over about 2 days and a half and finished it tonight.

That's my background on reading Christopher Moore books. The point I am bringing up is that it looks like there is a pattern in the books.

Lily was a character in A Dirty Job and Abby Normal was her friend in A Dirty Job. Vise versa in You Suck. While reading You Suck, I noticed other things. I noticed that Jody went into Asher's second hand, and the scene unfolds exactly the same as in A Dirty Job. Well, this information is likely very obvious to everyone here because I'm sure you all know a lot more than me.

Then I start thinking. I figure I am going to have to read A Dirty Job again. This is not because I am unsure of my findings, but because I remember A Dirty Job (in the time line) lasting a lot longer than You Suck. I vaguely remember mentions to Abby Normal from Lily in A Dirty Job. The more I think back, the more I think of other possibilities. The timeline continued after You Suck ended.

So my question to Christopher Moore is.... are you planning to turn this into a trilogy?

I was think of this pretty much the whole way of reading through the book. When I started noticing continuity between A Dirty Job and You Suck, I started to become more suspicious. Then when I read the ending, which is almost a mirror to how Bloodsucking Fiends ended (sort of).... I have to wonder if another sequel is planned. I fell in love with the characters Jody and Tommy. If another sequel is made, I will buy it the day it comes out. I'm sure countless other people will do the same.

I know it's your decision, Chris, if you wish to write about the same characters a third time. My question is whether you plan to at this moment or not.

And yeah...... I have grammar issues (*holds up grammar police immunity paper)

Post Mon Feb 12, 2007 2:29 am   View user's profile Send private message
Joelibris

At the signings, when this question came up, he said "probably, but not sure when." or something along those lines.

Personally, I'd like to see the Animals start their own detective agency, a la Scooby-Doo. But, like, they'd all be Shaggy. Zoinks!

Post Mon Feb 12, 2007 3:22 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
mllefifi

If there is a third Jody/Tommy novel, some day the three books could be published in one volume, like "The Lord of the Rings" or Maupin's Barbary Lane collections.

Wink

Post Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:37 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
shilofreeze

The ending was really sad. I don't mean to be a pussy but I read the last 200 pages straight and was cheering for my couple the whole way. It's like Cheering for your local hockey team in the playoffs, you get a little down when they lose. Man that was a sad ending to the book, and the ending wasn't too funny either. I'm sure that there's gotta be a sequel because that ending doesn't really.... uh.... well.... finish the story >.<

Post Mon Feb 12, 2007 4:15 pm   View user's profile Send private message
KatarinaNavane

Re: My Question: Is another sequel planned. *SPOILERS  Reply with quote  

shilofreeze wrote:

Lily was a character in A Dirty Job and Abby Normal was her friend in A Dirty Job. Vise versa in You Suck. While reading You Suck, I noticed other things. I noticed that Jody went into Asher's second hand, and the scene unfolds exactly the same as in A Dirty Job. Well, this information is likely very obvious to everyone here because I'm sure you all know a lot more than me.

Chris does this reoccurring character thing a lot. Practical Demonkeeping, Lust Lizard, and The Stupidest Angel all take place in the same town, with a lot of reoccurring characters, places, etc. Lamb has one character from Practical Demonkeeping. The Stupidest Angel is loaded with reoccurrers, both from those two and from Island of the Sequened Love Nun and Lamb, with a (very) brief Fluke reference. A Dirty Job also has a character from Coyote Blue.

Pretty much, even if he doesn't have another direct sequel any time soon, expect to hear from your favorite characters. They're not going anywhere.

http://katarinanavane.deviantart.com

http://katarinanavane.etsy.com

Post Mon Feb 12, 2007 4:45 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger
shilofreeze

KatarinaNavane wrote:
shilofreeze wrote:

Chris does this reoccurring character thing a lot. Practical Demonkeeping, Lust Lizard, and The Stupidest Angel all take place in the same town, with a lot of reoccurring characters, places, etc. Lamb has one character from Practical Demonkeeping. The Stupidest Angel is loaded with reoccurrers, both from those two and from Island of the Sequened Love Nun and Lamb, with a (very) brief Fluke reference. A Dirty Job also has a character from Coyote Blue.

Pretty much, even if he doesn't have another direct sequel any time soon, expect to hear from your favorite characters. They're not going anywhere.

good to know...... could you list which stories continue characters from A Dirty Job, BSF, and You Suck. Those would probably be the next ones I'd start on =D

Post Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:07 pm   View user's profile Send private message
Casually yours

Characters are tied over in all of the books. You had best just go back and start with PRACTICAL DEMONKEEPING and read them in chronological order, if you want to get the complete experience with full surround-sound geek rush. You'll recognize the police officers, Minty Fresh, and others in a number of titles and locales. I'm sure you can enjoy a book as a freestanding experience, but you're going to realize how many of those characters were missing dimensions the first time 'round when you read the earlier volumes.

The rest of us envy you because you still have all of those worlds and wonders to discover ahead of you.

Post Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:00 pm   View user's profile Send private message
shilofreeze

Casually yours wrote:
Characters are tied over in all of the books. You had best just go back and start with PRACTICAL DEMONKEEPING and read them in chronological order, if you want to get the complete experience with full surround-sound geek rush. You'll recognize the police officers, Minty Fresh, and others in a number of titles and locales. I'm sure you can enjoy a book as a freestanding experience, but you're going to realize how many of those characters were missing dimensions the first time 'round when you read the earlier volumes.

The rest of us envy you because you still have all of those worlds and wonders to discover ahead of you.

nice

Post Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:33 pm   View user's profile Send private message
KatarinaNavane

shilofreeze wrote:
KatarinaNavane wrote:
shilofreeze wrote:

good to know...... could you list which stories continue characters from A Dirty Job, BSF, and You Suck. Those would probably be the next ones I'd start on =D

Yeah, you should just start with Practical Demonkeeping and go in order. That's the best way.
PS: my personal fav of all time is Lamb

http://katarinanavane.deviantart.com

http://katarinanavane.etsy.com

Post Wed Feb 14, 2007 2:07 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger
Scott_R

Wow, that ending was so downbeat--at least in my view. I almost wish I hadn't read the book; I guess I find the idea of being stuck in a confined space so horrifying (esp. if Flood can't turn into mist) that the ending upsets me.

Hope there's a third book, where this can be undone.

Post Sat Feb 17, 2007 8:17 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
lilbeautiful555

dammit i hope he starts with another sequel
"Vamp Cat"
"Fat Cat: Shaved Vampire"
God i Cant wait Mr. Green

Post Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:45 pm   View user's profile Send private message
IdiotCroissant

ending with spoilers  Reply with quote  

At first the ending made me a little sad too. But when the last part of the book had that absolutely hilarious vampire shaved cat attack scene I felt that the lightheartedness meant that Jody and Tommy were going to be okay. After all, it wasn't like the the first bronzing lasted very long. I choose to think of it as a temporary bronzing. Very Happy

Post Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:58 pm   View user's profile Send private message
Joelibris

Still say "BAD KITTY: The Revenge of Chet, The Huge Shaved Vampire Cat" has a nice ring to it.

Post Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:00 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
LadyRavana

I'd like to see a sequel to "You Suck" too, because while I loved it, I thought the ending was a little too abrupt. It left me wanting more.

On the upside, Abby Normal's diary entries were hysterical. I hope that she makes a return, if there is a book three.

Post Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:05 pm   View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
sgt_steve

I'm pulling for a book in which Bummer and the Squirrel People defend the animals of The City from a predatory vampire cat.

Post Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:40 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: