Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> Blog Comments

Abominate
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
  Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
makani

Abominate  Reply with quote  

Since fundamentalist Christians often refer to homosexual behavior as "an abomination", and the root of the word abomination, is to deprecate as a bad omen, to hate, to detest, , are they, in fact, refering to gays and lesbians as "The Hated"? How does this reconcile with the Christian doctrine of love and forgiveness?

Smacks of hypocrisy IMO, and oh, how I abominate hypocrisy.

Post Sun Aug 15, 2004 11:56 pm   View user's profile Send private message
Karin

The Baptist point of view:

The actions of homosexuals are the abomination, not the people. The people should be loved and accepted. Their actions don't have to be. It's also not the job of Christians to condemn, forgive or hate anyone. That's God's job - except for the hate part. He doesn't hate anyone.

Now here's where my personal dilema comes in...I don't believe that people choose to be homosexual. So how can anyone try to make them change? And how fair is it to say "They don't have to act on their feelings."? Us heterosexuals get to. I heard a man speak at church once who ran an organization that "helped" homosexuals to become heterosexuals. I can't believe that deep down these people really changed. Their behavior changed, but did they?

Too much for me to think about this early in the morning. Don't get me wrong, I'm a Christian, try to be a good person, etc. But I really have a hard time with some stuff. Especially when it comes to hating other people. I think that people have put their own spin on a lot of the Bible. If we could all (that means EVERYBODY!) just live by the golden rule, the world would be a pretty good place. Very Happy

I abominate Monday mornings.

Post Mon Aug 16, 2004 6:06 am   View user's profile Send private message
Hillary

I've made my case . . .  Reply with quote  

Clear in the past.

All I gots to say:

GO AG GO!

Amen brutha.

Post Mon Aug 16, 2004 6:58 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Lib

Re: Abominate  Reply with quote  

Quote:
Posted by Chris:
Exercise: Use "abominate" in a sentence.

I abominate having to think on a Monday morning.

Quote:
Posted by Chris:
Since fundamentalist Christians often refer to homosexual behavior as "an abomination", and the root of the word abomination, is to deprecate as a bad omen, to hate, to detest, , are they, in fact, refering to gays and lesbians as "The Hated"? How does this reconcile with the Christian doctrine of love and forgiveness?

It doesn't reconcile! I'm a member of the United Church of Christ demonation (no, it's not the same as Church of Christ). We are an open and affirming church. Several gay couples attend our church and I would be honored to attend a marriage ceremony for them. I abominate it when people paint all "Christians" with the same brush. That's just as bad as being a racist or sexist. Just like you shouldn't judge a group of people for something one person does...same goes for Christian demonations/churches.

Quote:
Posted by Chris:
Since a majority of Americans appear to (along with the President) oppose Gay Marriage, does that make a Constitutional Amendment banning it right?

Marriage started out as a religious ceremony/sacrament. When did the "state" become the governing body of this??? If there is truly a separation of church and state, there should not be an amendment banning this right. I abominate the fact that the state can dictate a personal relationship between two consenting adults.

Post Mon Aug 16, 2004 8:42 am   View user's profile Send private message
chris
Site Admin

LIB WROTE: "It doesn't reconcile! I'm a member of the United Church of Christ demonation (no, it's not the same as Church of Christ). We are an open and affirming church. Several gay couples attend our church and I would be honored to attend a marriage ceremony for them. I abominate it when people paint all "Christians" with the same brush. That's just as bad as being a racist or sexist. Just like you shouldn't judge a group of people for something one person does...same goes for Christian demonations/churches."

True Dat, Lib. I'd say that roughly 95% of my readers, at least the ones who contact me, are Christian, yet they tend to be more tolerant than the people about whom I was writing above. "Fundamentalist", I think, is the key.

Frankly, although this is probably obvious, I don't understand why anyone would give a damn about whether Gay people marry or not. What is tragic, is that because there is no recognized identity for Gay partners, people find themselves alone in the most difficult times in their lives: when sick and dying, because their partner is not "family". This seems extraordinarily cruel, and doesn't reconcile with the teachings of Jesus that I studied when writing Lamb.

Post Mon Aug 16, 2004 11:18 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
jeannie

I abominate the hatred of the human race asgainst itself.

Post Mon Aug 16, 2004 12:10 pm   View user's profile Send private message
Karin

Re-reading my post I realize that I sound like a total loser...that's what happens whilst writing early in the morning with no caffein in the blood stream.

What I really wanted to say was this: In theory the actions of the person is the abomination (according to pastors I've heard talk about this). In reality it doesn't seem to work that way. Me? Do what you want in your private life as long as you don't hurt anyone else - especially little kids and animals.

I abominate when I have to go back and explain myself because I wrote stupidly the first time. Embarassed

Post Mon Aug 16, 2004 1:33 pm   View user's profile Send private message
earthshoes

I'm having a tough time using abominate as a verb. I've known actions or behaviors to be abominable, but I've never abominated anything or anyone in my life.

Though I've hated a few child molesters . . . and murderers . . . and animal abusers . . . and . . . oh . . . hominy . . .

Oh! Hey! I do abominate hominy. And Sweet Potato Pie. I just abominate Sweet Potato Pie. And considering I'm from the South, that may be enough to relegate me to the "pray for" list at church.

Post Mon Aug 16, 2004 6:10 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Goudron

Karin wrote:

The actions of homosexuals are the abomination, not the people. The people should be loved and accepted.

Karin, I realize you were not under the influence of caffeine, and I am by no means attacking your beliefs or point of view, but does no one else see the irony here?

"Biff looks mighty fine in those tight jeans. I can't wait to abominate him when we get home!"

Biff's lover's way of loving and accepting Biff is an abomination.

My apologies to Mr. Moore for not discussing all those other interesting tidbits, but I'm currently under the influence of half a bottle of wine.

Post Mon Aug 16, 2004 7:40 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Jo

Location: Near here, on Tuesdays, but just on the days that end with nth. Like 3nth.

My cat defused abominate it after carefully considering his next meal.
Twisted Evil

I'm sorry. It had to be done and it was my turn. Wink

Post Mon Aug 16, 2004 9:18 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
chris
Site Admin

Goudron wrote:
Karin wrote:

The actions of homosexuals are the abomination, not the people. The people should be loved and accepted.

Karin, I realize you were not under the influence of caffeine, and I am by no means attacking your beliefs or point of view, but does no one else see the irony here?

"Biff looks mighty fine in those tight jeans. I can't wait to abominate him when we get home!"

Biff's lover's way of loving and accepting Biff is an abomination.

My apologies to Mr. Moore for not discussing all those other interesting tidbits, but I'm currently under the influence of half a bottle of wine.

You know, by picking Biff for your example, you totally confused me as to what your point was. Then again, I haven't had a drink in many years, so I may not be on the same wavelength.

Post Tue Aug 17, 2004 1:45 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Karin

Goudron -
I've got half a can of Mountain Dew in me, so maybe I can be more clear. What I was trying to explain is what's taught in certain churches. It's a trying to be more like Jesus thing. He loved everyone - prostitutes, thieves, even the dreaded tax collectors. BUT he didn't love the bad things they did. We should be able to look past a person's actions and love them no matter what. How easy is that? Not very! That's probably why it doesn't happen very often. Or very honestly. I think there are people who say that they do this, but don't really feel it inside. You know? ANYHOW, another thing I've been thinking about is that I believe that some of the Bible was written reflecting the society at that time. The women obey your husbands thing comes to mind. Now if you're married to a real idiot, do you think God expects a woman to do what he says? I don't! But I think that's how things were back then. Maybe it's the same with homosexuality. The apostles knew it was considered "bad", so they wrote not to do it. Just something that popped up in my little pea brain this morning. Very Happy I abominate the fact that it's not Saturday.

Post Tue Aug 17, 2004 6:14 am   View user's profile Send private message
Goudron

chris wrote:

You know, by picking Biff for your example, you totally confused me as to what your point was. Then again, I haven't had a drink in many years, so I may not be on the same wavelength.

Yeah, it seemed perfectly clear last night. How about if I substituted Robert? Say Jim thought Robert looked mighty fine in those tight jeans, and he wanted to go home and abominate him. We're supposed to love and accept homosexuals, but their acts are, according to the Bible, abominations. Therefore, when Jim wants to love and accept Robert, (at least in this one example), he performs an abomination in the process.

In the future, I'll remember not to post unless stone cold sober. I was this close to putting "DUDE!" in front of my post last night Laughing

In defense of the Bible, though, the definition of "abomination" might not have been connected so closely to hatred then. We know that people who abominated were supposed to be put to death by Old Testament rules, and that's not very nice, but gay Christians *are* supposed to be let into heaven anyway assuming they are "washed, justified and sanctified."

I see where you're coming from Karin, and I'd also like to fast forward to the weekend.

Post Tue Aug 17, 2004 8:54 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
kingsofleon88

What I Abominate  Reply with quote  

[u]The Peopling of British North America[/u]
The first day of school and we have to read this piece of $hit by next week.
ugh. Sad

Post Sat Aug 21, 2004 6:26 pm   View user's profile Send private message
Blinker

Just a thought.....

I'm not a Christian. I grew up in a pentecostal church but that doesn't mean squat. According to some of the posts here I'm curious. Does the meaning of the bible change according to the times? Or the denomination you belong to? Or, if you don't belong to any specific denomination, the way you interpret the bible?

Oh yeah, use the word "abominate" in a sentence.

"I abominate the bartender calling last-call at 1:45 am."

-David

Post Mon Aug 23, 2004 5:03 am   View user's profile Send private message
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: