Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> Who's Who

professions?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
  Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
abbynormal92243

professions?  Reply with quote  

What do you all do?

Forgive me if this has been posted already---I have a heck of a time bringing up pages (the website insists I'm killing it.)

hmm
sounds like my fiance.

lol

I manage a gunshop and I'm a certified pistol instructor.
still a newbie, but gaining experience.

I'm also a writer.

yes
I pack a gun--usually a Mauser 9mm or S&W .38
but my boss lets me pick whatever I want.

I know a good deal about handguns and Calif laws, so if you have any questions, feel free to ask. Smile

Or not.

I know NOTHING about posting pictures.
Do not ask.

Post Tue Aug 17, 2004 3:43 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Tal

I am the webmaster for a library system. I also work in our tiny Virtual Reference department. I also write part time.

Post Tue Aug 17, 2004 4:22 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Ferrit Leggings

Arrow

Last edited by Ferrit Leggings on Wed Aug 03, 2005 4:58 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Tue Aug 17, 2004 4:30 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Sara Leigh

One of Jane's preschool teachers was a man. He and his wife ran a Montessori preschool. They're from Sri Lanka, so most of the teachers were Sri Lankan, and family members. The children loved Riza (the man), and I loved that there was a diverse bunch, albeit the same family, teaching these children -- mother, father, aunt, daughters. The children were from all nationalities too. Jane's had a multi-culti school experience all the way through. She didn't have another man for a teacher, though, until 4th grade.

I think it's great that you're a preschool teacher.

Post Tue Aug 17, 2004 4:38 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Lauren

I sell books to disgruntled booksellers. I'm a telephone sales rep for Time Warner Book Group. Which means I get to read a lot of cool things in advance, and always forget what season it is. Right now, I'm selling books that don't come out until March. So, right now, when I'm seeing books in stores, I think "Hasn't that been out for, like, a year?" because I've most likely been selling it for about six months. I am out of sync, and it is weird.

I'd like to own a bookstore, and call it Books That Don't Suck. Maybe I'll hit the lottery and be able to do so, but until then I'm on the other side of the business, living vicariously through my book buyers.

I write, and hope someday to be able to add "published author" to my list o' professions. (I think you'll have many kindred spirits here on the board when it comes to writing.)

That about covers it. Reality and dream-jobs, all in one post. Smile

Post Tue Aug 17, 2004 4:46 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number
JennyO

Ferrit Leggings wrote:

I could go on but I would bore all of you with what I do.

Wouldn't bore me at all. I'm mom to a 4 year old and almost 6 year old, and I'd love to hear more about what you do.

Jen

Post Tue Aug 17, 2004 5:18 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Think insane.

I'm a hired goon and all around professional thug. I used to teach high school english, until I decided I hated all my students. I want to be a writer, and at this point the only thing holding me back is a lack of talent. So instead I’m aiming for “Global Dictator". YOU SHALL ALL COWER BEFORE ME.

They’re Pinky and the Brain,
they’re Pinky and the Brain.
One is a genius,
the other is insane.
To prove their mousy worth,
They’ll over throw the earth.
They’re Pinkkkkkkkky
Pinky and the Brain Brain Brain Brain Brain

<insert evil insane maniacal laugh>

Mauser huh? That's a classy gat. I've got a 96F myself.

thinkinsane at mac dot com
AIM: thinkpsychotic

Post Tue Aug 17, 2004 5:45 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Blarg

Computer programmer - i do mostly contract work with local businesses, etc.

Post Tue Aug 17, 2004 6:09 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Sara Leigh

Sorry, I got so carried away with how nice it is that a man teaches preschool, I forgot to say what I do. I'm a graphic designer. I design crap for trade associations and catalogs for an importer of handmade Tibetan products. I'm really burned out though. So in my free time I design cross-stitch embroidery. I enjoy designing the pieces and working them. Selling enough of the charts to break even, though, is really hard. So I'll keep my day job for a whlie.

Post Tue Aug 17, 2004 7:39 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Hillary

I'm an office manager for an advertisting firm. I really like my boss - like the job, the business - but she stresses out so easily, that I've also become a part time therapist and surrogate mother.

At 26.

Part time writing person, too. Just like EVERYBODY else round these parts.

Post Tue Aug 17, 2004 8:30 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Goudron

I'm a powder coatings chemist for a large coatings corporation. I have occasional heart palpatations and contemplate with my co-workers about how we're becoming so Dilbertized.

My main objective is to create work for my subordinates. Then I create work for my boss's subordinates since he's testifying at a lawsuit and is unable to create work for them. Then I put on educational ditties for customers so they understand why it takes us so long to get anything done. Then, in my spare time, I create work for a horde of people who like to work weekend overtime to produce a weird product that no one knows anything about.

Post Tue Aug 17, 2004 9:08 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
chris
Site Admin

Me?

Ho

Gimme two dolla.

Post Wed Aug 18, 2004 1:12 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
John

I'm an assasin for the Shardik Hegemony code named "Gwangi". I escaped to this alternate earth after my contract on the evil Reaper Corps' current director, Vlad Tepish, was exposed through some sort of betrayal within the Hegemony High Council. I barely escaped with my life.

I now spend my time posing as a Systems Administrator for the radiology department of a large Boston Hospital. I'm just biding my time until I am either rescued or this earth develops parallel doorway technolgy and I can go back and finish my job.

Mauser & 96F huh? Mine is a Garzak 7, the latest and greatest in mini-railgun technology.

Post Wed Aug 18, 2004 1:25 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
FattyFattyPorkFace

aaaahhhhhh, occupations...  Reply with quote  

I am a Software Engineer for motorsport. That include Formula One, World Rally, IRL, CART, NASCAR etc etc etc. It's a job.

I'd love to make money in music somehow...but I don't know how. I write songs, sing, play guitar, write poetry (songs without tunes) and occasionally I try to write stories but I'm not good at it yet...so I keep trying...getting better...I guess.

My Dad is a farmer. I am not.

Post Wed Aug 18, 2004 4:52 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
JennyO

Re: aaaahhhhhh, occupations...  Reply with quote  

FattyFattyPorkFace wrote:
My Dad is a farmer. I am not.

My dad is a farmer too. Never had any desire whatsoever to follow in his footsteps.

In my pre-kid life, I worked for a small software company writing training materials and teaching classes, answering support lines (unlike the guys you've probably dealt with, we usually knew the answer), and managing software installations (installing our stuff was a pretty huge project).

Now, I'm a mom - I drive to and from school, help with homework, volunteer in the classroom, drive on field trips, take kids to soccer practice/gymnastics/dance/whatever, cook way more than I ever used to, and do piles and piles of laundry. And yes, I drive a minivan. I swore I never would, but I need the space and can't stand those huge, gas-guzzling SUVs.

I still work on a VERY part time basis during busy times of the year, but don't know that I'll ever go back to it full time. I flew way too many miles in my past life, and I don't want to do that any more. Liked the job, but hated the travel.

Jen

Post Wed Aug 18, 2004 5:04 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: