Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> Who's Who

professions?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
  Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Ferrit Leggings

Arrow

Last edited by Ferrit Leggings on Wed Aug 03, 2005 4:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Mon Aug 23, 2004 6:27 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Tito

buh-bye.

Last edited by Tito on Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:35 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Tue Aug 24, 2004 6:19 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Katy O

Mechanical Contractor small business owner. In English, that means that we do HVAC, plumbing, and medical gases for hospitals. The only funny story that I have about my job I think I've already told on this board, but I'll tell it again anyway (I'm practicing for when I get old).

We did a job at Haliburton, replacing old, nasty sewer pipe type stuff. One of them broke while we were removing some and dumped human waste all over one of the VP's desks. We're banned from there now.......

I used to wait tables and got to meet a lot of famous people, but you can't really retire on that so I had to grow up, at least from 8:30-5 p.m. Monday through Friday.

Post Wed Aug 25, 2004 10:52 am   View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Sara Leigh

Katy O wrote:
We did a job at Haliburton, replacing old, nasty sewer pipe type stuff. One of them broke while we were removing some and dumped human waste all over one of the VP's desks. We're banned from there now.......

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Perfect! Are you sure it wasn't intentional?

Post Wed Aug 25, 2004 4:20 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Jo

Location: Near here, on Tuesdays, but just on the days that end with nth. Like 3nth.

I am a floral designer. I happen to love my job and have worked there since I was 17. I've worked at the same place for 26 years. I am quite spoiled most likely by working for this company and I have no clue what will happen if that ends. I know the best Wink.

My boss and the owner is the most amazing man. He's 83, plays tennis before work, swims, still goes to school to educate himself, and square dances after work! In fact Very Happy we love him so and we nominated him for the Most Outstanding Older Worker and he has won for the state of Ohio. He goes to DC in Sept. for the national contest. Pretty cool eh?

My co-workers are just as great. We all love and support each other. Truly this is a testimate to our boss. There are several that have been with this company for as long as I have and longer. We don't make big bucks Wink but we know integrity and have learned good business and work ethics from a master and we know when we got it good. Wink

I got all mushy there, sorry, but I know what I have is rare and it IS possible.

Post Wed Aug 25, 2004 6:41 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Lara

Sounds awesome!  Reply with quote  

Jo~ that really sounds wonderful and inspiring. Maybe he can write a book about how he runs his business so peope who are trying to have a work ethic in a job that treats them poorly can get an idea of what it's like to be respected. I often think that's why the whole "good/poor work ethic" theory runs aground... someone might be the best employee in the world but if they are treated like crap then it's so very hard to wake up in the morning and behave productively.

Seriously, thanks for the post. It made me smile.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1286305849

Post Wed Aug 25, 2004 8:41 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Unc

Nerd by day, even bigger nerd by night  Reply with quote  

To pay the bills and enable me to stay in France, I write programs and technical documentation for a French artificial intelligence company. It's always challenging and thus a remarkably fun way to earn a living, if you're of the nerd persuasion.

At night I slip into a phone booth and change from 21st Century Nerd into 13th Century Nerd and try to work on a novel about the Cathars, a religious sect that flourished in the south of France until the Church declared them heretics, invented the Inquisition and two Crusades to deal with them, and wound up killing a couple of hundred thousand fellow Christians, basically for the sin of having more fun with their lives than the Catholics were having.

When my inspiration fails me on the novel (which it does, far too often) I write the occasional extremely bent short story (thus my elation at having discovered Chris) and political rant. And when I'm not working on any of the above, I sit around feeling sorry for myself for having to live in Paris.
Cool

Post Thu Aug 26, 2004 2:11 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
chris
Site Admin

Re: Nerd by day, even bigger nerd by night  Reply with quote  

Unc wrote:
[color=cyan]To pay the bills and enable me to stay in France, I write programs and technical documentation for a French artificial intelligence company. It's always challenging and thus a remarkably fun way to earn a living, if you're of the nerd persuasion.

Cool

As soon as I read the term "French Artificial Intelligence, I suddenly thought of a robot on the battlement of a castle, shouting down, "Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelt of elderberries!" (With an outraaaaaageos accent.) And basically coming up with insults like that ad-infinitum.

Could you invent that? Please.

Post Thu Aug 26, 2004 2:23 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Unc

Re: Nerd by day, even bigger nerd by night  Reply with quote  

chris wrote:
As soon as I read the term "French Artificial Intelligence, I suddenly thought of a robot on the battlement of a castle, shouting down, "Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelt of elderberries!" (With an outraaaaaageos accent.) And basically coming up with insults like that ad-infinitum.

Could you invent that? Please.

Done deal.

Seriously, because AI nerds tend to be a tad...uh...wacky, a variant on this has already been done at my company. Error messages in modern computer programs aren't "hard coded," meaning typed into a program that is then compiled and thus can't be changed. Instead, the error calls the appropriate error message to be displayed by number from a text file. Replace the text file with a different text file and voilą -- different message.

So one of the guys here likes to have fun by replacing the error message file of some of our AI products with one that is filled with quotes from Monty Python. So the hapless victim clicks the wrong button and instead of being told, Do you really want to do that without Saving first? or something equally useful, the message that pops up says, Armaments, chapter two, verses nine through twenty-one: And Saint Attila raised the hand grenade up on high, saying, "O Lord, bless this thy hand grenade, that with it thou mayst blow thine enemies to tiny bits, in thy mercy." And the Lord did grin. And the people did feast upon the lambs and sloths, and carp and anchovies, and orangutans and breakfast cereals, and fruit-bats and large chu... And the Lord spake, saying, "First shalt thou take out the Holy Pin. Then shalt thou count to three, no more, no less. Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it.

We were going to work on a version of this for Belgians, but the French seem to feel that they have enough of a cross to bear being Belgian without additional ignominy being piled upon them... Laughing

Post Thu Aug 26, 2004 2:53 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Unc

Note to fans of Roberto  Reply with quote  

Unc wrote:
And the Lord did grin. And the people did feast upon the lambs and sloths, and carp and anchovies, and orangutans and breakfast cereals, and fruit-bats and large chu...

Despite the above quote, I have been assured that no actual fruit bats were harmed during the filming of Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

Post Thu Aug 26, 2004 3:07 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Jo

Location: Near here, on Tuesdays, but just on the days that end with nth. Like 3nth.

Lara Smile

My boss would never sit down long enough to write anything. He's fearless LOL! Not long ago he was taking a load of plants to one our stores (there are 3) in a van and the ball joint went on this van which splays the front wheels in opposite directions. He decided he could drive it another 2 miles to the dealership and he did it!

I think truly that is his secret - he believes in what others would deem impossible. It never crosses his mind that he cannot do something. Belief is very powerful. He also believes in us and makes that very apparent. Many of the top hotels, restaurants etc. believe in the theory of 'empowering' their work force, giving the employees the know-how to take care of just about any situation on their own. It not only builds confidence and trust both ways..it brings out the best in the employees. They want to do their best. And that is what we are all about...we will do anything for that man because he would do the same for us.

I wish more companies and employers got that. My husband works in a steel mill and it's full of crap LOL! Mistrust, battles constantly between company and union, dishonesty and more. It just breeds a bad attitude, and you're right, the productivity suffers bigtime. I realize too that there is a huge difference in managing a company that employs 2,000 compared to 50 or 60. I still think that the large companies would do much better with better communication. There's no glue to hold it together. Smile

Post Thu Aug 26, 2004 6:24 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Q

Me?

Actor.

Gimme two dolla.
and the second has all of the fun.

--Analytics of Five

Post Thu Aug 26, 2004 9:17 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
abbynormal92243

EARTHSHOES  Reply with quote  

----what homeschool curriculum do you use?

I homeschooled for several years, used Calvert and a combination of others.
Best decision I ever made.

Post Fri Aug 27, 2004 2:30 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
JunglePunk215

What, me work?  Reply with quote  

I am a professional student LOL...It's the job of a lifetime...doesn't pay very well (well actually doesn't pay at all) and those pesky tuition bills can be bothersome, but other han that, it's great...

I graduated with my B.A. In English, panicked that I'd never find a job, and then went back to school....

I'm about 2 years away from my doctorate in Pharmacy a.k.a Pill Counting (yeah, you actually get a doctorate in that LOL)

Post Mon Aug 30, 2004 8:51 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address
TiroIndite

Paid job?  Reply with quote  

Professional snoop with typing skills.

Post Mon Sep 20, 2004 11:02 pm   View user's profile Send private message
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: