Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> Who's Who

professions?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
  Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Jillybeans

Freelance graphic designer and photographer. But in my starving artist moments...oh I don't know...like: NOW: student, waitstaff, customer service rep, administrative assistant...or anything that won't get me arrested and thrown into jail. Did I say I was looking for work???

Post Tue Sep 21, 2004 6:50 am   View user's profile Send private message
ArgonautFleecey

I'm a professional actor and stage director. Currently I'm a student at the Theatreschool at DePaul University, working on my MFA in Directing.

I really need the two dolla.

Post Tue Sep 21, 2004 6:58 am   View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
bugdog

Tech support of all types. I am currently working on a dying contract - we're out of here Dec. 6th - supporting business DSL customers. I take maybe 10 calls on a busy day. Today, it's been 4 hours since my last call, I took six calls before that and four of those were misdirected, so they got transferred. Did I mention the dying part?

Best thing about this job, two of the guys I work with are also Chris Moore nuts (as opposed to Chris Moore's nuts). We all just finished Island of the Sequined Love Nun. They still haven't read Coyote Blue or Pratical Demonkeeping. I am now the top dog of our Verizon ESG DSL Tier 1 Help Desk Chris Moore Fan Club. Go me!

Before this, I was internal support at Compaq. HP came in and I got booted from my dream job. High pay, low work, lots of real responsibility - if it broke during the night, over the weekend, I had to make certain it was addressed within 15 minutes and fixed on a timetable. Mostly I read and watched movies, all while making $30/hr. Yep, dream job.

Before that, I worked on Shell's internal help desk. Same hours, less pay, more work. Still cool.

Before that, I worked for Wang (heh heh, wang) on their Bell Atlantic Internet Solutions contract. My first tech support job - 2 days of listening to someone else take calls and I was thrown to the wolves. It was great!

I found out the day I started working here that Verizon had bought Bell Atlantic sometime between then and now. Imagine my surprise to find out that I was supporting the same pool of people as I was when I started out in this business.

It is still a very good thing that I live in Texas and all our customers are on the east coast and far, far away from me and my cluebat*.

I'm actually very good at what I do and rarely need my cluebat. I have explained that the Internet is not down any number of times and am very good at determining what "I can't get my email" really means.

*Cluebats may be used to strike a clue into the heads of those who have either NO clue or insufficient clue.

Ok, going home for the night. Yay. home. 127.0.0.1

Post Tue Sep 21, 2004 6:03 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Dave

bugdog wrote:
*Cluebats may be used to strike a clue into the heads of those who have either NO clue or insufficient clue.

Heh.. We have a "clue stick" at work. An ~4 inch diameter, 6 foot long Nerf thing. No idea what it was designed for but people who do stupid stuff get biffed with it. I also keep a quick 4-shot Nerf pistol and a pump 20-shot Nerf machine gun in my office. 1st stupid question in one day is free. After that, you're likely to get shot at.

Post Tue Sep 21, 2004 8:04 pm   View user's profile Send private message
Lauren

Bugdog and Dave, are you kids familiar with the Customer Appreciation Bat?

One of my co-workers at the bookstore used to lobby for a crossbow behind the register, but the owner wasn't too keen on it.

Post Wed Sep 22, 2004 6:34 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number
Dave

Laughing

Post Wed Sep 22, 2004 7:22 am   View user's profile Send private message
Katy O

Dave, I think what you're describing is a "water noodle" -- they sell them at grocery stores and pharmacies in the summer.

Around here, we employ soul-crushing ridicule as the price of stupidity.

Post Tue Sep 28, 2004 2:04 pm   View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
aiki14

occupations  Reply with quote  

Was a paramedic (NYCEMS then FDNY), retired after 20, now build motorcycles in my garage.
Happiness is riding a chopper. Especially knowing I built it and it's one of a kind.
Jim

Post Tue Sep 28, 2004 8:33 pm   View user's profile Send private message
conspiracies unlimited

Great Job  Reply with quote  

I am the director of charitable contributions for my wife's family's business (multi-state HMO)... This is the first job I've ever had (other than when I was in the Army) that I have actually enjoyed... and I really enjoy it !!! I actually look forward to Monday morning -- in fact, I am only supposed to work 20 hours a week, but I usually put in 40+... wife isnt too thrilled about that...
It's time to separate the awkwardly feminine from the possibly canadian

Post Wed Nov 17, 2004 5:36 pm   View user's profile Send private message
edrie

wang??? not THAT wang??? like - ois, vs???  Reply with quote  

i worked with THAT wang from 88-89, even met the doc! greatest computer ever, the vs - best software, lousy service. that finally did us in. we were so ahead of the curve - invented most of the good stuff at great expense and our rivals bought one, took it apart and copied it!

me? lotsa formers:

tutu maker, make-up artist, computer software consultant (wang), taxi driver (ny), writer, wholesaler of feather chubby jackets, political activist (sometimes paid), wholesaler, retailer, writer, director (for fun), flea market vendor, and currently, TADA

sell magic scarves at farmers market in monterey - do a 3 hr nonstop 20min loop comedy routine with the thing - every tuesday from 4-7 - it's SHOWTIME!

write and ride horses on the side. make jewelry - try to sell jewelry when folks have any money - rep diamonds (good stuff) and anything else i'm interested in. if i like it, i turn it into a way to make money so i don't have to ever ever work 9-5 again EVER EVER EVER!!!

oh, yeah, did i mention... i write

Post Sat Dec 11, 2004 4:26 am   View user's profile Send private message
John

Re: wang??? not THAT wang??? like - ois, vs???  Reply with quote  

edrie wrote:
i worked with THAT wang from 88-89, even met the doc! greatest computer ever, the vs - best software, lousy service. that finally did us in. we were so ahead of the curve - invented most of the good stuff at great expense and our rivals bought one, took it apart and copied it!

me? lotsa formers:

tutu maker, make-up artist, computer software consultant (wang), taxi driver (ny), writer, wholesaler of feather chubby jackets, political activist (sometimes paid), wholesaler, retailer, writer, director (for fun), flea market vendor, and currently, TADA

sell magic scarves at farmers market in monterey - do a 3 hr nonstop 20min loop comedy routine with the thing - every tuesday from 4-7 - it's SHOWTIME!

write and ride horses on the side. make jewelry - try to sell jewelry when folks have any money - rep diamonds (good stuff) and anything else i'm interested in. if i like it, i turn it into a way to make money so i don't have to ever ever work 9-5 again EVER EVER EVER!!!

oh, yeah, did i mention... i write

Hey, Edrie. I grew up right down the street from Wang laboratories in Lowell, MA. I got to watch them put up the wang towers and then have to sell the buildings a few years later for chump change.

Post Sat Dec 11, 2004 10:50 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
kidzlibrarian

reply to Alan's post and my job  Reply with quote  

Alan, working with teens and in a jail probably have some similarities. I hope you get that job you want. I am working as a high school librarian after 18 years at the elementary level (ten as a K,1,2 teacher, 8 as a school and public librarian). I am finding high school very interesting... Just spent half an hour on Friday trying to convince a girl not to sleep with a knife next to her bed as someone could use it on her. I will probably go back to elementary in a couple of years. They really needed me at the high school as the other librarians kept leaving for the following reasons; retirement, moved to middle school, died, couldn't hack it and quit after 2 months. I've been there for 5 months now. I love certain aspects of my job but miss reading to the kids using funny voices. I can do a really good Kermit the frog. I think my sense of humor is around second grade level, too. I do feel like I can help these kids a little, though, and I enjoy the challenge, so I am happy. I'm learning a lot. I have always loved YA lit. as much as kiddie lit. and adult books, for that matter. I don't feel like I am just waiting for the evenings and weekend. If I felt like that I would try to switch back to elementary right away.

Post Sun Jan 16, 2005 3:14 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger
KatarinaNavane

Yea, I'm a highschool sophmore. But I make jewelry and crafts which I sell at local craft fairs and (soon) in local galleries. Just for spending money, but I make a decent amount.

http://katarinanavane.deviantart.com

http://katarinanavane.etsy.com

Post Sun Jan 16, 2005 7:50 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger
Q

KatarinaNavane wrote:
It's probably Chris Moore's fault that many guys that I've fallen for have been either assholes who remind me of Tucker and Biff,Nerds who remind me of Gabe, or stoners who remind me of Theo and Kona .

You're a highschool sophmore? Is Candice Bushnell required reading now or something!? Aren't you suppose to be...I dunno...like a Junior in College before figure out how useless we are?
and the second has all of the fun.

--Analytics of Five

Post Sun Jan 16, 2005 8:01 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
sgt_steve

Just another aging hippie, with creds  Reply with quote  

During daylight hours M-F I'm a UNIX systems administrator at the School of Public Health at the University of Michigan. This is a lot of fun, and lets me play with all the cool toys.

When not working I'm a husband, father, father-in-law, musician, and security guard. The latter involves funny stuff, as we get the wierdest gigs in the world. I worked as security guard at a fursuit convention (people who like to dress up head to toe in animal costumes). It was amazingly cool, as these are the nicest folks you'd ever want to me.

The musician part usually involves funny stuff too, because nobody's going to listen to me simply on musical quality. You can find samples of my lyrics at
http://lokkur.dexter.mi.us/Music/.

Last edited by sgt_steve on Wed Jan 19, 2005 11:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Wed Jan 19, 2005 3:42 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: