Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> Who's Who

professions?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
  Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
disco

Wow, I used to be a Systems Administrator at the University of Michigan. Except that I worked for CICNet, back when it existed at the University. That was a great gig.

Then I went to a larger outfit called ANS, which was bought by WorldCom. At the peak of that career path I managed the group that maintained the Sun servers used by WorldCom's webhosting customers. Then there was this little fraud thing and the massive layoffs while they were trying to cover it all up...

So now I'm back to being a freelance graphic designer, my main gig with that is working for a company that makes menus for independent restaurants all over the country. Of course, they found out about my background so now I spend half my time with them managing their computers and their network. I might as well have GEEK tatooed on my forehead...

Post Wed Jan 19, 2005 9:26 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
sgt_steve

Geekdom, geekdom, uber alles  Reply with quote  

Yeah, once they find out you can make computers sit up and beg you never escape from it.

Post Wed Jan 19, 2005 11:27 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Megan

I am the office supervisor for University of Alaska-Fairbanks Conference Services, a student (comm, psych, chem, and women's studies), and a professional insomniac. I don't think I get paid as much as Dave Attell though.

Post Mon Feb 07, 2005 4:57 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
lisa

Home and vehicle furnishings I do.

Post Mon Feb 21, 2005 10:35 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Lisa M

I'm a fund raiser for Old Dominion University -- I do corporate and foundation relations and am marginally successful although totally burned out. In earlier incarnations I was a kitchen-design draft person, paralegal, public radio operations manager, opera education administrator, non-profit theater manager and, oh yeah, the worst job in the world: customer service rep for the Better Business Bureau. All this flitting around looks worse that it has been -- I just don't know what I want to do when I grow up. My fun stuff now is being a part-time radio announcer, book reviewer and adjunct instructor in English comp at above noted university. Oh, and of course working on a novel.

Post Mon Feb 21, 2005 11:27 am   View user's profile Send private message
kidzlibrarian

Hey, Lisa,  Reply with quote  

You wrote - Home and vehicle furnishings I do.

Every car I ever bought came furnished. Are you talking about RV's?

Post Tue Feb 22, 2005 8:46 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger
chris
Site Admin

Megan wrote:
I am the office supervisor for University of Alaska-Fairbanks Conference Services, a student (comm, psych, chem, and women's studies), and a professional insomniac. I don't think I get paid as much as Dave Attell though.

M:
I'm reading 100 Years of Solitude by Marquez (Yes for the first time. I avoided it for years because I thought it was about old people masturbating. Shut up, I did.) Anyway, the Insomnia Plague that comes to the village is great. Everyone gets just a tad crazy, but because EVERYONE gets a tad crazy, no one really cares. When everyone starts losing his memory, one character takes it on himself to label everything in the village. (So you'll, you know, know it's a cat and not a chicken so you don't totally fuck up the fajitas that night.) Then everyone's story is written down so they have a memory to refer to. The whole thing, a huge salvo of ideas, takes up about four or five pages of the book.

Just saying, I think you have company here on the board. Personally, I haven't had a good night's sleep since 1971.

Post Tue Feb 22, 2005 9:00 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Sara Leigh

I think I inherited my mother's insomnia. I swear she rarely slept. When I was in high school, she'd always be coming downstairs after supposedly being in bed asleep for a couple of hours, wondering what we were doing. Couldn't get away with anything.

I'm sure Jane feels the same way about me. Twisted Evil

Post Tue Feb 22, 2005 9:07 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Lib

I'm a sit in the chair and enter data all-the-long-day person.
However, after I get off work, I change into my super hero attire (which includes some really niffy purple boots) and patrol the bookstores, office supply, craft, and chocolate shops. I'm on a mission...a mission that if I told you...well, I'd then have to stomp you with my purple boots.

Last edited by Lib on Mon Jul 17, 2006 8:14 am; edited 1 time in total

Post Tue Feb 22, 2005 9:21 pm   View user's profile Send private message
Lauren

Quote:
From Lib:well, I'd then have to stomp you with my purple boots.

Careful there, Lib. I hear Kitty's into that sort of thing.

Post Wed Feb 23, 2005 7:12 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number
Jilly

chris wrote:

M:
I'm reading 100 Years of Solitude by Marquez (Yes for the first time. I avoided it for years because I thought it was about old people masturbating. Shut up, I did.) Anyway, the Insomnia Plague that comes to the village is great. Everyone gets just a tad crazy, but because EVERYONE gets a tad crazy, no one really cares. When everyone starts losing his memory, one character takes it on himself to label everything in the village. (So you'll, you know, know it's a cat and not a chicken so you don't totally fuck up the fajitas that night.) Then everyone's story is written down so they have a memory to refer to. The whole thing, a huge salvo of ideas, takes up about four or five pages of the book.

Just saying, I think you have company here on the board. Personally, I haven't had a good night's sleep since 1971.

How far into the book are you? I just don't want to give it away. Especially when they start doing a little sympathetic magic to keep the crops going. Just a clue there with Buendia and his mistress. I'll not say anything more. You might like "Love in the Time of Cholera" too. Kind of a loony love story between Fermina Daza and Florentino. There is absolutely something magical about Garcia Marquez.

Post Wed Feb 23, 2005 10:09 am   
bigfreezer

I'm the estimator for a concrete construction company that builds concrete structures for water and wastewater treatment plants. I prepared myself for this career by gaining degrees in history and sociology.

I had the ultimate setup right out of college, though. I worked as an alcohol counselor for the county. I got to spend two days a week in court and the other three moderating group counseling sessions (DWI's and other alcohol related offenders). The pay was awful so I continued to work weekends as a bartender (which I did in college) to make the ends meet. After about six months, word got back to my supervisor that I was playing both sides in the battle of good versus evil and I was forced to make a choice. I chose the yang over the yin and continued to contribute to the delinquincy of society. It paid better and was much more fun.

I took a day job in construction which evolved into a career and hung up my highball glasses for good. Now I take great pride in saying that, in some small way, I help make every flush a productive one and provide temporary residence for Mr. Hanky the Stinky Poo. It's a shitty job, but someones gotta do it! Wink

Post Mon May 02, 2005 12:32 pm   View user's profile Send private message
OMG ITS ERE

Professional BAD POETRY WRITER/STUDENT/LIBRARY PAGE.

The last is an actual job. Saving up for my car, which I probably won't be able to afford until I'm in 12th grade.

Post Thu May 05, 2005 8:27 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
LustyLady

Me  Reply with quote  

I'm a paralegal by day, wannabe comedian by night.

Post Sat May 14, 2005 2:51 pm   View user's profile Send private message

I currently work at Nortel in Order Management.

Post Fri May 20, 2005 1:18 pm   
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: