Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> Blog Comments

Abominer

Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Unc

Abominer  Reply with quote  

abominate \uh-BOM-uh-nayt\, transitive verb:
To hate in the highest degree; to detest intensely; to loathe; to abhor.

[color=#]Related to the French abominer \uh-bum-ih-NAY\, transitory verb:
To look down upon something because it is not French; to consider
it unworthy of your attention unless there is something in it for
you. As in:[/color]

"J'abomine le café Starbucks. Je vais à Starbucks seulement pour parler aux jeunes filles américaines. Elles sont si faciles."

[color=#]Which, rather loosely translated, means:[/color]

"I abominate Starbucks coffee. I go to Starbucks only to talk to young American women. They are so intellectual."

[color=#]Being an American expatriate of the compassionate persuasion, I refuse to abominate the French guys merely because they use the new Starbucks cafés in Paris to pick up American girls. That would be petty. Instead I go across the street to the café with the drinkable coffee, where all the French women are sitting around abominating the French guys who have deserted them for the eas...uh...I mean intellectual American women at Starbucks. And to at least *try* to touch on one of Chris' suggested topics, very few of the French women are gay, but many of them are convinced that the French guys at Starbucks are. I do my best to support this idea. Is that an abomination?[/color]

Post Wed Aug 18, 2004 7:41 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
John

Quote:
Being an American expatriate of the compassionate persuasion

Hey Unc, you are an ex Patriot. that is so cool. I'm from Boston, what position did you play? Wink

Post Wed Aug 18, 2004 1:10 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Unc

John wrote:
Hey Unc, you are an ex Patriot. that is so cool. I'm from Boston, what position did you play? Wink

I mainly sat on the bench with the Pats, but played a mean cello for the Back Bay punk-chambermusic group The Shroud Of Elvis. Our kazoozaphonist was a starting linebacker for the Jets, if that helps... Cool

Post Thu Aug 19, 2004 1:04 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: