Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> Blog Comments

Goodbye Kurt and Hi Ho

Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Mark Covington

Goodbye Kurt and Hi Ho  Reply with quote  

Yes and…I caught a blip on Vonnegut's death as I was leaving for work yesterday. He got a ten second mention between Anna Nicole baby-daddy update, and the Imas recrimination… what a world we live in. Kurt made a major impact on my life. I pretty much went from "See Spot Run" to Bradbury and Asimov around 9 years old and stuck with that genre, not moving much beyond Orwell and Huxley. Then in Freshman English I did some writing assignment or other and was kept after class and asked "where did you copy this from". I don't remember my answer but I guarantee it was "smart-assed", that was one of the few times I didn't spend time in the office for my "inappropriate wit". (My favorite was once I once called on by a Math teacher/girl’s gym teacher pointing to fractional equation: “what is our common denominator?” My answer was “we both like little girls?”) This time the teacher literally threw a copy of "Player Piano" at me. It was an epiphany. I went through all of Vonnegut’s books to date in a month, and expanded my taste to include Thurber, Swift, Bierce, John Kennedy Toole and Tom Robbins, and yes Chris Moore. I had found my fellow travelers; my destined genre literally flew through the air at me. So Goodbye Kurt, and best of luck wherever you end up, I can just see little drawings of assholes all over the pearly gates. A little advice Kurt, stay away from Hunter Thompson, he'll just get you in more trouble. Again, thanks Kurt, Hi Ho and Mahalo.

Mark Covington

Post Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:00 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: