Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> Politics

Please, let's keep debating instead of acting...
Goto page 1, 2  Next
  Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
FattyFattyPorkFace

Please, let's keep debating instead of acting...  Reply with quote  

I mean, it's much more important to determine who is wrong or right and whether it's a natural cycle or man-made BEFORE we act on it...I mean, it's not like we're gambling with the future of our offspring and all life on Earth or anything...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/6610125.stm

Post Wed May 02, 2007 9:45 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Kar98

*throws a couple of virgins down a volcano, burns a few witches, swings a black rooster overhead while dancing widdershins 'round the oak tree, and offers a freshly cut-out heart to the Sun god.*

There, acted. The gods of nature are appeased. Happy now?

Post Wed May 02, 2007 11:19 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
lisa

Global warming is man-made. Winters at the equator did not show that summers would get this warm. It is unnatural. Arctic ice has melted too fast.

We are not gambling with the future of our off-springs but with all other life definitely.

Post Wed May 02, 2007 11:21 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
gretchenfaith

Re: Please, let's keep debating instead of acting...  Reply with quote  

FattyFattyPorkFace wrote:
I mean, it's much more important to determine who is wrong or right and whether it's a natural cycle or man-made BEFORE we act on it...I mean, it's not like we're gambling with the future of our offspring and all life on Earth or anything...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/6610125.stm

Well, no, we cannot just ACT on it, FFPF, because that would, you know, be all reasonable and prudent like. We cannot behave like sensible folks! That's blasphemy. I'm going to sick Dick Cheney on you. Razz

Gretchenfaith

Post Wed May 02, 2007 11:47 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Goudron

I vow to fart less. Or at least I'll fart silently more often to avoid becoming outcast by those who truly care about our environment.

We're going to have to replace our roof soon, and I thought I'd like to throw some solar panels up. Turns out the expense to get off the grid would be over $35 K though. Bummer. If I won the lottery, I'd definitely build a house with a solar/wind power combination and have a hybrid and an electric car and a segway. Until then, I guess I'll keep turning off lights and recycling stuff.

Post Wed May 02, 2007 2:57 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
LostInWalmart

Farting less is not an option for some of us <excuse me>. I plan instead to capture errant, um, emissions and use them as an alternative fuel source. Maybe I could sell my, er, production back to the power companies and we can all share in the joy of my, you know, contribution. Brown is the New Green.

B

Post Thu May 03, 2007 9:44 am   View user's profile Send private message
Laveric

Goudron wrote:
I'd like to throw some solar panels up.

Sadly some SOBs banned solar panels from our area. Apparently some people considered them an eyesore. Worst part is they extended it to cover all solar solutions on roofs so you can't even get Photovoltaic shingles It makes me want to cover the yard in solar collectors, but I bet they already thought of that.

Post Thu May 03, 2007 9:59 am   View user's profile Send private message
deb

Goudron wrote:
I thought I'd like to throw some solar panels up.

You have an impressive digestive system!

Post Thu May 03, 2007 10:06 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Goudron

deb wrote:
Goudron wrote:
I thought I'd like to throw some solar panels up.

You have an impressive digestive system!

Thank you, I give it a good Raisin Bran workout every day.

Post Thu May 03, 2007 2:36 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Notdeadyet

I am very worried about the bees........ I heard something horrible today about the bees...... Shocked

Post Thu May 03, 2007 7:49 pm   View user's profile Send private message
fortune cookie

Laveric wrote:

Sadly some SOBs banned solar panels from our area. Apparently some people considered them an eyesore. Worst part is they extended it to cover all solar solutions on roofs so you can't even get Photovoltaic shingles It makes me want to cover the yard in solar collectors, but I bet they already thought of that.

Sounds like they deserve the "Flaming Bag of Poo!"

Post Thu May 03, 2007 10:22 pm   View user's profile Send private message
Kar98

Notdeadyet wrote:
I am very worried about the bees........ I heard something horrible today about the bees...... Shocked

Bee rapture?

Post Thu May 03, 2007 11:33 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
twan_deeth_ree

Brapture?

Apparently bee populations have been declining for over a decade, but the press just recently jumped on the story. I guess it's most likely a fungus causing the problems.

Post Fri May 04, 2007 7:09 am   View user's profile Send private message
Notdeadyet

Yeah, the NPR report had the rapture thing too.... Rolling Eyes
Yes, the bees have been declining for over a decade, originally I believe it was supposed to have been mites which have on and off through the decades caused a decline at times and then they bounce back sort of thing. Only recently they haven't bounced back, and now there are several other theories, apparently people studying it are coming to the conclusion that the bees can't find their way home. Their navigation systems are whacked. There are several theories, one is that the growing presence of insecticides in the environment in tiny quantities is having a sublethal neurotoxic effect and their little complicated navigation systems are affected. Basically, I guess they starve because they can't find their way back to the hive. There are many pollinators but many of our food crops rely on the bees, I am sad. I like food.
As I was driving kids to school the other morning, I told omegadelta he better study hard because maybe he could get a job in entomology still. I pointed out a Great Blue Heron flying over head right then, I said, "You KNOW< those were almost extinct and weren't seen here when I was growing up." So Omegadelta goes into this whole tirade, "But the pesticides are everywhere and the problem is unsolvable.... bla bla."
"And then," I said "Rachel Carson wrote silent spring" and he said "Yeah, but that was because of the DDT which.... oh yeah, that's a pesticide, O.K. well, yeah".
He is more of an Edward Abbey fan.
My personal favorite theory is the RADIO WAVES>>>> man, it's the wireless internet and the phones and stuff.... it's killing the bees!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
No really, it could be almost anything.... prions, who knows. Tell all your kids to study hard, they're going to have to save our butts here..... Shocked

Post Fri May 04, 2007 10:38 am   View user's profile Send private message
twan_deeth_ree

I've also heard theories that it could be the genetically modified crops, especially corn, that have pesticides built in to their genes.

Post Fri May 04, 2007 10:54 am   View user's profile Send private message
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: